Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Which low budget Fixie is stiffer? Messenger, Kilo tt or The hour?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 08:37 PM
SteveCrowley

Bikes: 1979-80? Gazelle Champion Mondial A Frame road bike with mix and match campy and shimano parts, Raleigh Rush Hour FG, Specialized Globe Roll FG, Trek 8500 MTB,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to get a cheap fixie that I can use more for riding around town and light training use so that I can set my Raleigh Rush hour up for the track (its already set up for training w/ computer, brakes, bottle cages, etc). I know that the Mercier Kilo tt, Motobecane messenger, and WIndsor the hour are all probably about the same quality. That's not what I want to know.

I am curious as to which bike has a stiffer, more tracklike geometry, because as I am used to my Rush hour, and I really like how it feels and responds (not full on track, but it's pretty stiff and quick). Obviously these are not real track bikes, but which one is the quickest to accelerate?
Old 09-30-08, 08:42 PM
fluidworks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Acceleration has nothing to do with the geometry of the frame. It has to do with the size of the wheels and type of tire.

But between the three, the Kilo has the most track like geo. Personally I'd just keep the Rush Hour as your main bike, it's certainly better than the others mentioned.
Old 09-30-08, 08:46 PM
Gambutrol

Bikes: 3Rensho SRA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You probably wouldn't see a change in stiffness unless you upgraded to aluminum. giant bowery, cannondale capo, GT gutterball come to mind....but all of those might be out of your price range.
Old 10-01-08, 02:07 AM
jodypolk
never eaten better listen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thread deja vu