Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bionx PL-350 Regen Lockup

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Bionx PL-350 Regen Lockup

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-08, 09:09 AM
misslexi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Bionx PL-350 Regen Lockup

I test rode a Bionx PL-350 equipped bike yesterday and was impressed, a very refined system. It was raining like no tomorrow (rain? Seattle?) so I couldn't really get a good ride in.

I was wondering about one thing that maybe some Bionx owners could comment on: Are there ever situations where the braking effect of the regeneration mode, which is substantial, causes the rear wheel to lockup? I know this wouldn't happen on asphalt but what about roadside gravel?
Old 11-21-08, 06:36 PM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Bikes: Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It hasn't happened to me, but I tend to squeeze the brake levers slowly. I also use both front (regular v-brakes) and rear brakes (Bionx) at the same time. ...I'm not too fond of flying over the handlebars.
Old 11-21-08, 09:50 PM
LesMcLuffAlot
Pedal faster not harder.

Bikes: Ummmm...Cannondale F4000..Ummmmm...Yeti ARC-X Cyclocross..Ummmm...Rocky Mountain Vertex TO with a BionX PL350 Electric Conversion...Ummmmm..Rocky Mountain Cardiac..Ummmm..thats it for now I think. I'd have to go look in the basement to be sure.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you clarify if you mean while using the rear brake or going downhill and using the regen feature alone.
Old 11-21-08, 11:00 PM
borland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What recumelectric means, is he is applying the rear brake handle just enough to activate the BionX magnetic switch, but not enough to contact the rear brake pads. That's exactly what I do on my bike with a BionX rear wheel hub motor.

Without regenerative braking feature, you typically coast fast down the hill, applying the brakes heavily at the bottom. However with regenerative braking, you apply regenerative braking during the entire length the hill, or if not, much earlier from the end. The net affect is you go down the hill at reduced speeds, which is usually safer, saves on brake pads, and allow recapturing battery power for later.

The BionX system takes a while to fully learn, that is, to use to your advantage. But first impressions are, that it is a pretty well designed system.
Old 11-22-08, 07:53 AM
LesMcLuffAlot
Pedal faster not harder.

Bikes: Ummmm...Cannondale F4000..Ummmmm...Yeti ARC-X Cyclocross..Ummmm...Rocky Mountain Vertex TO with a BionX PL350 Electric Conversion...Ummmmm..Rocky Mountain Cardiac..Ummmm..thats it for now I think. I'd have to go look in the basement to be sure.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what recomelectric means. I was asking the OP.
Old 11-22-08, 08:47 AM
misslexi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not really concerned as to how the system goes into regen mode, I don't know enough about the system at this stage to fully understand it's intricacies.

Let me restate the question:

Lets say I'm using the rear brake of any bike, electric or otherwise, on asphalt. Suddenly I find myself in a gravel patch and the rear wheel starts to lock up and skid, I can stop the skid by simply releasing the brake.

It occurred to me that if this was a Bionx bike that went into regen when I was a stage one above, on asphalt, that once I hit the gravel patch and started to skid, releasing the brake would not take it out of regen mode which may cause the skid to continue with no way to stop it.

I suppose I should get a question in here somewhere, is there a way to deactivate regen in an emergency like I described above?

The test bike I rode for example, would enter regen as soon as I applied the rear brake and would not exit regen until I started pedaling again, releasing the brake lever did not make it exit regen. If I were in a skid, it would be counter-intuitive for me to consider pedaling as way to unlock the rear wheel and end the skid.
Old 11-22-08, 11:16 AM
borland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the rear wheel completely locks up, there is no regenerative effect. The rear wheel has to turn in order for the motor to act as a generator and recharge the battery.

You loose traction in gravel even if you don't apply the brakes.
Old 11-22-08, 11:51 AM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the rear wheel completely locks up, there is no regenerative effect. The rear wheel has to turn in order for the motor to act as a generator and recharge the battery.
What this means, in relation to misslexi's question, is that if the turning speed of the wheel is at or near zero, the "braking" force exerted by the bionx regen feature will also be at or near zero. The regen feature does not have any mechanism by which it could possibly keep the wheel locked up because it doesn't exert any force at zero speed.
Old 11-22-08, 01:08 PM
misslexi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like Bionx has done their homework then, a good thing. Figures I would go looking for trouble where there is none

We get more than our fair share of rain here in Seattle, the conditions I frequently encounter while riding on city/suburban streets is runoff from driveways will wash gravel onto the side of the road where bikes are expected to ride. There could be no gravel today and it's there tomorrow, you never know. It's generally not enough to cause a crash; it's just enough for me to keep totally off the front brake and to very gently feather the rear brake, assuming I feel the need to slow. And of course there's automobile traffic to contend with. It's just not the best time for a person to lose control of the bike.
Old 11-22-08, 07:53 PM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Bikes: Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misslexi
The test bike I rode for example, would enter regen as soon as I applied the rear brake and would not exit regen until I started pedaling again, releasing the brake lever did not make it exit regen. If I were in a skid, it would be counter-intuitive for me to consider pedaling as way to unlock the rear wheel and end the skid.
That's weird. I don't think mine does that. Brake goes on when I pull on it and off when I release...
unless I've been missing something.
Old 11-22-08, 08:00 PM
LesMcLuffAlot
Pedal faster not harder.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the motor wouldn't kick in again untill you started pedalling again, unless you use the throttle. So maybe you were just feeling the extra weight and drag of the system while coasting.
Old 11-23-08, 09:43 AM
misslexi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recumelectric
That's weird. I don't think mine does that. Brake goes on when I pull on it and off when I release...
unless I've been missing something.
I didn't mean to say the brake stayed on after I released the brake lever, it was the braking effect of the regeneration that continued after I released the brake lever. On the demo bike, the only way I could get it to exit regen mode once it became engaged was to start pedaling. I had no idea the thing even had a throttle but I'm sure that would have worked too.

It's not out of the question the demo bike was not operating in a text book fashion; it sure looked like it had seen better days.
Old 11-24-08, 08:50 AM
Kermit 43

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is also a setting that can be changed to reduce or increase the amount of regenerative braking incase you need to tweak it so it feels comfortable to you.