Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Friday Pocket vs Tikit

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-08, 11:18 PM
Protorio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, folks. I want to buy a BF that can do fun adventures, and even touring when travelling (it might get more use around town if folks' comments about the joy of folders is to be believed).

Here's my thinking - both the Pocket Expedition and Tikit need to go into suitcases for flying, right? So, why wouldn't I get the Pocket Expedition, and get more of a "bike" (ie. 20" wheels, etc) than the Tikit?

I must ad that I have an old Brompton which is great, but the 3 speed and short wheelbase is kind of limiting. Of course, I could sell it, and maybe the Tikit is just the ticket for both purposes?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 12-08-08, 02:56 AM
somnatash
eight spokes

Bikes: merc, brompton, roadster, cheap every day bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,
how long is the wheelbase of the biggest tikit?
Old 12-08-08, 08:22 AM
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
maybe ask your question on https://store.bikefriday.com/mailman/listinfo/yak this is bike friday's forum, and they are full on about just such issues...
my girlfriend just bought a BF New World Tourist after much consideration. she decided the better ride, rear rack option, and larger wheels were worth the few seconds longer it takes to fold.
Old 12-08-08, 08:34 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed
she decided the better ride, rear rack option, and larger wheels were worth the few seconds longer it takes to fold.
I'll give you better ride and larger wheels... but only a few seconds longer? Uh uh. Seconds vs. Minutes is probably more like it.

The two bikes are meant for completely different purposes anyhow. If you're looking for a travel bike that is as close to a "normal" bike as possible, don't get the Tikit. Get any of the other Bike Friday models as noted above. If you're looking for a city bike for commuting and convenience, get the Tikit or similar bike from other manufacturers.

In the case of the OP above, get the Pocket Expedition. If the bike is going in a suitcase anyway, and you don't plan on folding and unfolding regularly... why compromise with the Tikit? Get the best bike you can get.

--sam
Old 12-08-08, 08:57 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lalato
if the bike is going in a suitcase anyway, and you don't plan on folding and unfolding regularly... why compromise with the tikit? Get the best bike you can get.

--sam
+1
Old 12-08-08, 09:15 AM
makeinu
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Protorio
Hi, folks. I want to buy a BF that can do fun adventures, and even touring when travelling (it might get more use around town if folks' comments about the joy of folders is to be believed).

Here's my thinking - both the Pocket Expedition and Tikit need to go into suitcases for flying, right? So, why wouldn't I get the Pocket Expedition, and get more of a "bike" (ie. 20" wheels, etc) than the Tikit?

I must ad that I have an old Brompton which is great, but the 3 speed and short wheelbase is kind of limiting. Of course, I could sell it, and maybe the Tikit is just the ticket for both purposes?

I'm a fan of selecting folders as a painter selects pigments for his palette: better to have the extremes so you can mix them for your desired result than paint everything in shades of mud.

Unless you're specifically looking to consolidate, a Brompton + PE will be able to serve a greater range of functions than just a tikit; Plus you already have the Brompton.

Originally Posted by somnatash
Hi,
how long is the wheelbase of the biggest tikit?
It must be pretty long. IIRC the regular tikits have a decent wheelbase and the large ones are just stretched out versions of those with longer frame tubes.
Old 12-08-08, 09:45 AM
Speedo

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a NWT, my wife has a PR, and we both have Tikits.

The Tikits are great for around town and can fold very quickly. We've had no problem running errands on them, folding them and bringing them into stores. When I commute to work on the Tikit I just fold it and bring it in vs locking it outside. The ride is good, but not great. And the gears (standard) would not be enough for us to use on our "real" bike rides.

As noted by other posters above, the fold on the NWT and PR is useful for getting it into a suitcase for travel, or just "quick folded" to go in the back of a car. But the quick fold is not all that compact, or convenient to carry around. On the other hand, the bikes ride great. I don't have the feeling that the ride is much of a compromise over a full sized bike.

If the fold is more important: Tikit. If the ride is more important: PR.

I've also done a lot of riding on a Brompton. The ride of the Tikit is better than the ride of the Brompton, but the fold of the Brompton just can't be beat. If it's all about the fold, then Brompton.

Speedo
Old 12-08-08, 10:02 AM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Axle to axle is about 42 inches on my Tikit. On my full size Crosscheck (62 cm frame) the wheel base is about 42 inches.

I can't really give any opinions about the Tikit yet because the weather became crappy the day it arrived. All I can say is that it sure feels strange riding it with lots of winter clothes. I know that's not much help.

I had a NWT which I used for a travel bike and I was pleased with it. That's when I went somewhere for a week, unpacked the bike and at the end of the week, repacked it. I switched to the Tikit because the quick folding has become more important for me. That's where I'll be folding and unfolding 2 or 3 times each day. I figure it will be good anti theft too. So I think you need to ask yourself how many times you realistically plan to fold/unfold the bike.
Old 12-08-08, 01:11 PM
Protorio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the fold of the Brompton, of course. But it is essentially a portable English 3 speed - with a great generator lighting system, fenders, mudflap, etc. Maybe I should keep the Brompton and pick up the Pocket Expedition...

I'm just not sure if the Tikit could do both duties.
Old 12-08-08, 01:28 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedo
I have a NWT, my wife has a PR, and we both have Tikits.

The Tikits are great for around town and can fold very quickly. We've had no problem running errands on them, folding them and bringing them into stores. When I commute to work on the Tikit I just fold it and bring it in vs locking it outside. The ride is good, but not great. And the gears (standard) would not be enough for us to use on our "real" bike rides.

As noted by other posters above, the fold on the NWT and PR is useful for getting it into a suitcase for travel, or just "quick folded" to go in the back of a car. But the quick fold is not all that compact, or convenient to carry around. On the other hand, the bikes ride great. I don't have the feeling that the ride is much of a compromise over a full sized bike.

If the fold is more important: Tikit. If the ride is more important: PR.

I've also done a lot of riding on a Brompton. The ride of the Tikit is better than the ride of the Brompton, but the fold of the Brompton just can't be beat. If it's all about the fold, then Brompton.

Speedo

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. The Tikit is not a touring bike although you can tour on a Tikit. In the same way a NWT or PL is not a folding commuter bike although you can commute on them.

The only area where I disagree with Speedo is I quite like the way my Tikit rides and I jump on it preferentially to my full size bikes. I don't have a Bike Friday travel bike [NWT, PL, etc...] so I can't compare how they ride - perhaps I like the way a BF travel bike rides even more**********
Old 12-08-08, 03:19 PM
Speedo

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
The only area where I disagree with Speedo is I quite like the way my Tikit rides and I jump on it preferentially to my full size bikes.
I do like to jump on my Tikit when I want to hear people say "Oh, that's a really cool bike!". It gets more public attention than any of my other bikes.

Oh, with the notable exception of 6 year old girls who love the Power Raspberry color of my NWT.

Speedo
Old 12-08-08, 03:27 PM
Speedo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the fold of the Brompton, of course. But it is essentially a portable English 3 speed - with a great generator lighting system, fenders, mudflap, etc. Maybe I should keep the Brompton and pick up the Pocket Expedition...

I'm just not sure if the Tikit could do both duties.
You have a tough choice.

If your around town stuff involves getting on and off buses and trains, then the Brompton is hard to beat.

If your around town stuff DOESN'T involve a lot of folding/unfolding then one of the other BFs will work.

If you want to drive yourself crazy spend some more time on the folding bike forum and get to know other brands.

I'm glad you posted this. I wasn't aware of the new 2009 BF models until I went looking to see what Pocket Expedition was all about.

Speedo
Old 12-08-08, 05:41 PM
Protorio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes - tough indeed. Folks have great suggestions here. I might keep the Brompton and pick up the Pocket Expedition. Brompton for around town multi-modal fun, and the BF for traveling. For what its worth, I already have a full sized singlespeed, road, and touring bike.

I just worry that the Tikit might be fine for both folding purposes - I have to think more seriously about how I'll actually use it vs. how I *want* to use it.
Old 12-09-08, 09:08 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yes - tough indeed. Folks have great suggestions here. I might keep the Brompton and pick up the Pocket Expedition. Brompton for around town multi-modal fun, and the BF for traveling. For what its worth, I already have a full sized singlespeed, road, and touring bike.
That sounds like a good plan....
Old 12-09-08, 09:20 AM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just worry that the Tikit might be fine for both folding purposes - I have to think more seriously about how I'll actually use it vs. how I *want* to use it.
You've got what I refer to as a "high class problem".

Good luck with your choice. Somehow, I don't think there's going to be a bad outcome .
Old 12-09-08, 09:40 AM
awetmore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a NWT (very similar to the Pocket) which I sold to buy a Tikit.

I don't find the ride to be that different between them.

The Tikit folds faster and packs into a suitcase much faster. When folded it is a tidier unit.

The NWT uses more standard components (406mm tires are easier to find than 349mm tires). If the Pocket uses 451mm wheels then this is a wash because they are even more rare than 349mm.

The Pocket comes with wider range gearing stock, where the Tikit would require a Dual Drive hub.

alex
Old 12-09-08, 11:31 PM
OldiesONfoldies
Small wheels ARE better!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've a tikit for 1.5 yrs now and can vouched like Vik that its a fantastic commuting/errand bike. Its also able to do light touring with the front touring rack (fits yr Orbs) but is somehow compromised by its gearing.

One cheap way out is to fit a second smaller 42t chain ring. Note that it does not have a FD but for some mysterious reason, whenever I shift to the biggest climbing rear cassette gear, the chain automatically jumps to the smaller chain ring! I think that is due to the pressure on the chain but isnt that neat? With the smaller ring, gearing has been reduced to 25", making those climbs a breeze. Of course, you need to switch it manually back to the big ring but for $30 bucks, heh...

https://lovethefold.blogspot.com/2008...it-for-30.html

That said, I'm toying with the idea of getting the Llama Expedition for those "real" rides. Triple chain rings, fat tires, front and rear racks, Cane Creek TB... Drooling already.

Oldy
Old 12-10-08, 09:47 AM
feijai

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, seriously: the problem you've found is that the Tikit's gearing is too high? To each his own, I suppose, but my one real complaint with my Tikit is that its top gear is only around 78 gear inches. To go higher, I'd need to replace the rear cassette with a Capreo.
Old 12-10-08, 12:27 PM
Speedo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by feijai
Wow, seriously: the problem you've found is that the Tikit's gearing is too high? To each his own, I suppose, but my one real complaint with my Tikit is that its top gear is only around 78 gear inches. To go higher, I'd need to replace the rear cassette with a Capreo.
Well, I can't say that I speak for OldiesONfoldies, but what I understood him to mean was that the low gear was too high, not that the high gear was too high.

I would agree that the 78 GI high is on the low side. For what I use the bike for that hasn't been an issue. The low is about 30 GI, which is low enough for most applications, but the conversation had turned to trying to tour with the Tikit. With a couple of panniers 30 GI would be a bit on the high side. If you were in the flatlands maybe it would be okay, but trying to ride in the mountains loaded I would find 30 GI a bit high.

Speedo
Old 12-12-08, 03:31 AM
dmnobrien

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Rans Rocket, Cruzbike Quest

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Speedo
...what I understood him to mean was that the low gear was too high...
I'm considering the Tikit for commuting and maybe light touring, and my main concern (other than the current exchange rate) is the narrow gear range (30-77"). I think the Capreo does ~33-94 (good high, but not low enough low for the hills here in Wellington).

Another gearing option is the Season Tikit (Nexus hub), which does ~26-86". Decent low and decent high (I need the former, can get by without the latter). And it does seem like one clean-looking setup.

Got to start saving those pennies...
Old 12-12-08, 05:11 AM
OldiesONfoldies
Small wheels ARE better!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(what I understood him to mean was that the low gear was too high...)

Yupz, I meant that the stock tikit climbing gear is not sufficient for those big hills encountered during touring, esp in NZ and *Laos where I recently rode on my Surly LHT. That said, the tikit's focus is on commuting so we shouldn't be whinging on its "limited" gearing. Its a fantastic commuter capable of light touring with some easy mods.

Say dmnobrien, do you have a BF dealer in NZ? May I know what is the price of the tikit there in NZ$?

Oldy

* My recent trip to Laos - possible on a foldie but wide tires like Big Apples and climbing gears compulsory. The climbs go up 22km continously and then you get rewarded with heavenly descents.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=4521&v=Ki
Old 12-13-08, 05:55 AM
dmnobrien

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Rans Rocket, Cruzbike Quest

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We do have a BF dealer here in Kiwi Land - Friday Frenzy. They sell the Tikit for the same price you see on the BF website, just with exchange rate (and the expected shipping fee).

I want to ride one first, of course, and may get the chance over the holidays. Plus I may be in SF soon, so maybe I'll just order one and pick it up Stateside, along with a travel suitcase kit.

The main pain right now is the Kiwi dollar vs. USD - really tanked since the economy went south. Argh...