Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is Competitve Cyclist's fit calc saying I'm shaped like a velociraptor?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 08:37 PM
htfiles

Bikes: 2002 Pinarello Prince, 2006 Salsa La Raza, 2007 Kona Paddywagon, Alfine-equipped custom commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

According to the Competitive Cyclist I should be riding a bike with a 51-52cm top tube (C-C) and seat tube (C-C) of 55-57cm. Such a bike would be longer in the seat tube then a traditional squared road/track bike (TT = ST) and quite the opposite of say current compact frames.

Obviously the seatpost can be simply raised for frames with the right TT length, or seats moved forward for frames with the right ST length but then the comfort/power from the fit may be compromised.

What do you guys think? At ~5' 7" I'm not particularly tall, maybe I have long legs and short arms or torso?

My current bike, a Pinarello Prince from 2002 has the following dimensions:
S-T (C-C) 51
T-T (C-C) 53
Setback 14.1
Seat Angle 74 deg 15 min
Head Angle 72 deg 30 min
Fork Rake 4.3

Here's the fit calc's inputs and outputs:

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 85
Trunk: 57
Forearm: 34
Arm: 61
Thigh: 61
Lower Leg: 54
Sternal Notch: 142
Total Body Height: 171

The Competitive Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 55.1 - 55.6
Seat tube range c-t: 56.8 - 57.3
Top tube length: 51.2 - 51.6
Stem Length: 10.5 - 11.1
BB-Saddle Position: 72.8 - 74.8
Saddle-Handlebar: 49.8 - 50.4
Saddle Setback: 6.2 - 6.6

The Eddy Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 56.3 - 56.8
Seat tube range c-t: 58.0 - 58.5
Top tube length: 51.2 - 51.6
Stem Length: 9.4 - 10.0
BB-Saddle Position: 72.0 - 74.0
Saddle-Handlebar: 50.6 - 51.2
Saddle Setback: 7.4 - 7.8
Old 12-16-08, 08:40 PM
dmb2786

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha. i'd have to pull it up, but when i did that fit calculator, they recommended a pretty ridiculously shaped bike.
Old 12-16-08, 08:51 PM
mr handy
Living Notoriously Well

Bikes: 06 Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had it spit out some pretty crazy numbers myself. But i have also had it hit the ballpark.
Old 12-16-08, 10:20 PM
htfiles

Bikes: 2002 Pinarello Prince, 2006 Salsa La Raza, 2007 Kona Paddywagon, Alfine-equipped custom commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm actually fairly serious, even if the fit calc spits out #'s that make me wonder if I'm a freak.

With my current bike's geo specs listed above, I've had to do a few things I'd rather not have:
  • Saddle is quite high (and near the end of the seatpost's safe height).
  • Short stem (80mm) with a slight rise
  • Stem near the top of the fork steer tube

I'd rather have a lower absolute saddle height (with the same leg extension), neutral or slightly negative rise stem, and a less stretched out & more comfortable reach to the hoods.

I've identified three stages of action:
  • make small adjustments and read fit theory online
  • pay for a professional fit
  • have a custom frame made

I'm at the first stage and trying to figure out if the Competitive Cyclist fit calc is unnecessary leading me down the path of thinking a custom frame is the only way to acheive the fit, look, and handling goals I'd like.
Old 12-16-08, 10:28 PM
haimtoeg
Magnesium Dogmatic

Bikes: Look 585 Ultra, Pinarello Dogma, Pegoretti Duende, Orbea, Cannondale Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to me your arm measurements are off - 61cm seems too short.
Old 12-16-08, 11:08 PM
ben_san

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your inseam is really 33.5 inches (85cm) and you are really 5'7" then that's a sensible fit. I have a custom steel frame with a 59.5 seat tube and 55 top tube that fits great with a short stem - I'm 5'9" with the same inseam.
Old 12-16-08, 11:17 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 12-16-08, 11:53 PM
htfiles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Ben_San Thanks, that's the sort of feedback I'm looking for.

First I measured myself for each measurement (so some were not surprisingly difficult to do). This was the result:
Inseam: 85
Trunk: 61
Forearm: 32
Arm: 58
Thigh: 60
Lower Leg: 54
Sternal Notch: 143
Total Body Height: 173

Then I had my girlfriend measure me and the results were those shown in my first post. Inseam was the same in both cases. I had a textbook held firmly pressed into my crotch (fun stuff...) and made parallel to the floor by being pressed against the wall. Then measured floor to top of book. Hope that makes sense.

I'll go through the measurements again including inseam and arm length.
Old 12-16-08, 11:54 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'll bet the CC bike weight calculator also tells you the bike you're ordering will weigh 13 lbs. and cost $8,000. At least the cost figures are accurate.
Old 12-17-08, 12:06 AM
htfiles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
competitive cyclist's arm measurement description:

Continue to hold the cylindrical object and extend your arm in front of you, holding your arm parallel to the ground. Try not to allow your shoulder to come forward. Make sure that the object in your hand is perpendicular to your arm. Locate the Pivot of the arm to shoulder point and measure from this point to the center of the object, which should fall in line with your knuckles. Measure both arms and average the measurements.

Old 12-17-08, 12:08 AM
htfiles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I'll bet the CC bike weight calculator also tells you the bike you're ordering will weigh 13 lbs. and cost $8,000. At least the cost figures are accurate.
My bike may be a Prince but it's on the north end of 8kg. Not exactly light, nor $8k
Old 12-17-08, 08:22 AM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
[img]snip[/img]
I'll counter with this one:

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 12-17-08, 08:26 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by htfiles
My bike may be a Prince but it's on the north end of 8kg. Not exactly light, nor $8k
Buy it someplace other than CC. Save a few dollars.
Old 12-17-08, 08:34 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cervelo Rouvida x 2

Liked 568 Times in 453 Posts
You may be the first short person I've heard from that may have more leg length to height than I do. I'm 168cm tall with an 83cm inseam and 73.5cm saddle height. I see nothing unusual about the bike that you have, but you haven't mentioned any details about the stem length, stem angle or spacers under the stem.

I would pay absolutely no attention to the ouput from the CC fit calculator. It's just about worthless, IMO.

FWIW, I ride a 51cm LOOK 585 that has a 74.5 STA, 53cm TT length and 125mm HTL. I have a total head tube stack of 145mm, with the headset and one 5mm spacer. I use a 73 degree x 110mm stem to produce about a 12cm drop from the saddle to the bars. I use short reach Easton EC90 SLX3 bars to help keep the stem length at 110mm. No stubby stems for me.
Old 12-17-08, 10:38 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Psydotek
I'll counter with this one:
Cracked me up.
Old 12-17-08, 12:41 PM
akansaskid
Freddin' it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 70" tall with a 34" inseam (to the ground). Competitive Cyclist's calculator tells me I need a 58-59 seat tube and a 55.5 top tube. Kinda hard to find bikes like that. Got similar results from the LBS Fit Kit guy doing what he called a Quick Fit (1st cut).

My current 1979 road bike has a 58 top tube and 58 seat tube. I have it set for a 78 cm saddle to BB height. Competitive says it should be 79-81. Not sure I could even reach the pedals with that. I AM sure that the 58 top tube is too long, as it's an awkward reach to the hoods. I started a thread a couple of days ago about bike fit tradeoffs for guys with long legs (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=494803). DaveSSS and others had some good comments there you might want to read.
Old 12-17-08, 01:59 PM
wankel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too suffer from Velociraptoresque body proportions. I've been looking for a cross or touring bike with the magic 58 st and 55 tt measurements as well. The closest thing I found (with a reasonably long head tube) is the Ridley Crossbow/Crosswind. Of course you should also take head and seat angles into consideration as they affect reach significantly.
Old 12-17-08, 03:44 PM
htfiles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Buy it someplace other than CC. Save a few dollars.
Thanks. I'm in Australia so I'm not even considering buying from CC.

I'm trying to get the best fit from my Prince possible (even at the expense of the 'look' of the bike).

AND

I'm considering a custom frame if it's the only way to get the right comfort, weight distribution, and look. If I fork out for custom I want perfect fit and for it to look great too.
Old 12-17-08, 04:23 PM
htfiles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
You may be the first short person I've heard from that may have more leg length to height than I do. I'm 168cm tall with an 83cm inseam and 73.5cm saddle height. I see nothing unusual about the bike that you have, but you haven't mentioned any details about the stem length, stem angle or spacers under the stem.

I would pay absolutely no attention to the ouput from the CC fit calculator. It's just about worthless, IMO.

FWIW, I ride a 51cm LOOK 585 that has a 74.5 STA, 53cm TT length and 125mm HTL. I have a total head tube stack of 145mm, with the headset and one 5mm spacer. I use a 73 degree x 110mm stem to produce about a 12cm drop from the saddle to the bars. I use short reach Easton EC90 SLX3 bars to help keep the stem length at 110mm. No stubby stems for me.
Thanks for the post DaveSSS. Leg length to height ratio:
you: 0.494
me: 0.497

I will have to redo these measurements because no one's ever commented on me having freakish proportions.

I will also provide more information on my bike setup (in addition to the frame geo already posted). Are there specific measure measurements I should obtain? I'll supply the stem spacer stack height, stem length, stem angle (if I can find it). You've listed 125mm HTL. What's HTL?

Short reach bars are something I really want to look into. I almost always feel more comfortable with my hands just back from the hoods near the curve of the bars (FSA Omega OS).
Old 12-17-08, 04:26 PM
htfiles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akansaskid
I'm 70" tall with a 34" inseam (to the ground). Competitive Cyclist's calculator tells me I need a 58-59 seat tube and a 55.5 top tube. <snip>
I started a thread a couple of days ago about bike fit tradeoffs for guys with long legs (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=494803). DaveSSS and others had some good comments there you might want to read.
Thanks for your post. I read through the thread you've linked. It was really worth the read. Cheers!
Old 12-17-08, 04:39 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Bikes: Felt, Atala, Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just had to say yay xkcd.
Old 12-17-08, 04:57 PM
htfiles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Wankel Thanks for the info. I'll look into cross bikes and the two models you mentioned. Head and seat angles affect reach but handling too.

I'm looking to achieve maximum comfort and performance for 60-80km road rides (37-50 miles). I'm 24yrs old, doing small group rides of 100-120km per week (not racing) plus anywhere from 40-100km/week of commuting currently on my 52cm Kona PaddyWagon. In my opinion I'm not super flexible and don't have great core strength but I don't have any metrics or comparisons.
Old 12-17-08, 05:00 PM
htfiles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ cartoon posters

I had no idea velociraptors were such an 'in joke' with gamers or computer programmers or whatever you guys do. Glad you're having fun though.

I thought of saying T-Rex instead, but I didn't want to confuse people that I might be tall, which I'm clearly not. Leg length to height, arm length to leg length ratios are what I was trying to get at.
Old 12-17-08, 05:42 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cervelo Rouvida x 2

Liked 568 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by htfiles
Thanks for the post DaveSSS. Leg length to height ratio:
you: 0.494
me: 0.497

I will have to redo these measurements because no one's ever commented on me having freakish proportions.

I will also provide more information on my bike setup (in addition to the frame geo already posted). Are there specific measure measurements I should obtain? I'll supply the stem spacer stack height, stem length, stem angle (if I can find it). You've listed 125mm HTL. What's HTL?

Short reach bars are something I really want to look into. I almost always feel more comfortable with my hands just back from the hoods near the curve of the bars (FSA Omega OS).
HTL is head tube length. What's really important is the length, with the headset and spacers (total stack height).
Old 12-17-08, 06:03 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
I did question 1, you make it 37.26m and die in 6.21s

I don't think problem 2 can be fully answered with a single angle. Wouldn't the solution be a curve, as the raptors would be constantly changing their directions as you move. I would guess the initial angle would be 60 degree off of either side of vertical, towards the injured raptor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.