Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

what is the best clipless pedals for commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 02:38 PM
mijome07

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I only have experience with platforms and Power Grips. I have shoes like this. Something easily accessible and inexpensive. Maybe these? Thanks.
Old 01-09-09, 02:41 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personal preference, though I have eggbeaters on all my bikes.

I would personally spend the extra money for the SL because the rust that develops on the MXR and C annoys me. Functionally, they're the same though.
Old 01-09-09, 02:48 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with JEFFS on personal preference. Although I run SPDL's on my road bike, my commute, cyclocross and mountain bikes all have spds on them....because I am never going to be commuting with a road shoe. For the money, I really like the Shimano 520. It lasts a long time.

I have never tried egg beaters, but if you are on and off the bike a lot in mud, sand or leaves, you might consider them instead for there better cleaning capacity.

Just saw your shoes, SPDL's and other 3 bolt systems are out for you...that is probably just fine as they make lousy systems on all but road specific applications.
Old 01-09-09, 02:51 PM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time ATAC

this thread is a good summary of most common commuter clipless pedals - https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=401343
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 01-09-09, 02:55 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm partial to the Shimano 324's, for the main reason if I decide I want to short hop the bike I can wear any shoes I have on my feet. One side SPD, one side platform.
Old 01-09-09, 03:00 PM
spacerconrad
I'm in shape! A round one

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, and an old Bridgestone 200 I rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I run SPD compatible pedals on all my clipless bikes, and convertible pedals on my Surly LHT. I've had Looks, and still have the shoes, but haven't ridden 'em in years.
Just a pain to walk in 'em. (the Looks, not the SPuDs)
Old 01-09-09, 03:31 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a set of Quattros on my Lemond, you can in a pinch ride with regular shoes, I bought them used and Crank Bros rebuilt them thru warranty I like the Eggbeaters as well, they are much easier to clip in to than the Quattros...
Old 01-09-09, 03:36 PM
bcarter6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for egg beaters. They are the easiest to get in and out of, and are pretty much hassle free. Crank Brothers makes a number of different kinds, some have platforms and some don't. I haven't tried the ones with platforms, although I can see how they could be useful (i.e. I can see how they would be useful every time I ride my bike to the gym which is only a mile away, would be nice not to have to put on my bike shoes).
Old 01-09-09, 03:39 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
I'm partial to the Shimano 324's, for the main reason if I decide I want to short hop the bike I can wear any shoes I have on my feet. One side SPD, one side platform.
Agree with the Shimano 324s. I was using a Performace Campus pedal that basically offered the same flexibility... one side SPD and the other side platform. Great for commuting.

I used Look pedals for years but the shoes were a major pain for the little errands one might do when commuting... where as the two sided pedals like the 324s are great.

I have since converted to a MTB pedal with SPDs on both sides, but with a huge platform... the Shimano
PD-M424 Pedals. They give the advantage of not having to flip the pedal over to clip in.... but are still usable as a platform pedal.

The whole idea is for commuting, to wear walkable shoes... and for that you need the right pedals.
Old 01-09-09, 04:12 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Might as well also check into the Eggbeaters' sister pedals, the Mallets or the Candies.
Old 01-09-09, 04:15 PM
mijome07

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Personal preference, though I have eggbeaters on all my bikes.

I would personally spend the extra money for the SL because the rust that develops on the MXR and C annoys me. Functionally, they're the same though.
Thanks JeffS. I didn't even think about that.

Originally Posted by Sawtooth
Agree with JEFFS on personal preference. Although I run SPDL's on my road bike, my commute, cyclocross and mountain bikes all have spds on them....because I am never going to be commuting with a road shoe. For the money, I really like the Shimano 520. It lasts a long time.

I have never tried egg beaters, but if you are on and off the bike a lot in mud, sand or leaves, you might consider them instead for there better cleaning capacity.

Just saw your shoes, SPDL's and other 3 bolt systems are out for you...that is probably just fine as they make lousy systems on all but road specific applications.
Thanks Sawtooth. As you can tell, I'm new to this stuff.

Thanks everyone else for the information.
Old 01-09-09, 05:11 PM
dogbreathpnw
1973 Sekine

Bikes: Sekine (commuter), Lemond Victoire, Cannondale T1000, Frankenbike (ask!), Harry Perry (fixie, now)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In general, I'd say that any double-sided-entry mountain bike cleat would be a decent choice.

I say double-sided because when you're taking off from a light, you want a real stomp-and-go user experience.

I say mountain bike, because the cleat is recessed, thereby lasting longer and giving you better traction when you have to put a foot down.

That being said, I'm a fan of the Speedplay Frog pedal. It has so much float that it's a lot like pedaling on a greased banana peel. However, the pedals and cleats are just about invulnerable to crud and moisture.
Old 01-09-09, 06:18 PM
chrism32205

Bikes: Bianchi Axis (commuter), Specialized Tricross S-Works, BMC Team Machine SLT01, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use spd's.. and 520 pedals.
Old 01-09-09, 06:25 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by dogbreathpnw
In general, I'd say that any double-sided-entry mountain bike cleat would be a decent choice.

I say double-sided because when you're taking off from a light, you want a real stomp-and-go user experience.

I say mountain bike, because the cleat is recessed, thereby lasting longer and giving you better traction when you have to put a foot down.

That being said, I'm a fan of the Speedplay Frog pedal. It has so much float that it's a lot like pedaling on a greased banana peel. However, the pedals and cleats are just about invulnerable to crud and moisture.
Do the Speedplays have a recessed cleat so you can have a regular walking experience off the bike?
Old 01-09-09, 06:41 PM
mijome07

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I forgot to mention that I have a 'cross bike. This is the only bike I have. I want some pedals that I can use on and off the road. Thanks buddies.
Old 01-09-09, 06:46 PM
Tabor

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used the eggbeater SL's and I prefer double sided shimano SPD pedals (which cost half as much).
Old 01-09-09, 07:29 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All my bikes have dual-sided clipless spd compatible pedals. I've got 4...all set up for commuting. Shoes purchased over the last 10 years include Specialized Rockhoppers, Cannondale touring, Specialized Sport mtbs, Diadora Road shoes, Nashbar mtbs(BIG mistake...they're crap), Lake Winter Road shoes. The only one's that can be worn off the bike and not make noise on a wood floor are the C-Dales. The combo of a deeper recess and shallow cleat allow this. The pedals are an assortment of Wellgo, Shimano and Nashbar(the pedals are ok once they get 'worked in'). The advantage is that I can ride any of my bikes in any cycling shoes I own. My wife's bike has Shimano PD-520s w/Diadora Saturn mtb shoes. When doing repair/adjustments on her bike I can 'take it for a spin' in any of my shoes. We're getting her a pair of Lake touring shoes and some good road shoes along w/a new bike this next year. I'm set...well maybe a fixie...

All that being said, I'd get eggbeaters nowadays, but it would cost me a small...well may be NOT so small fortune to do the switch.

If it ain't broke...
Old 01-09-09, 07:35 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mijome07
I forgot to mention that I have a 'cross bike. This is the only bike I have. I want some pedals that I can use on and off the road. Thanks buddies.
egg beaters for really muddy applications.

otherwise any spd will do the job quite well.
Old 01-09-09, 07:38 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
+1 on Crank Brothers for crappy conditions. I've even clomped across almost-muddy paths in Sidi roadie shoes, using the CB Quattro cleats for extra traction, then clipped right in with no problems at all.
Old 01-09-09, 08:08 PM
3bikes
VeloFellow

Bikes: Commuter(Specialized Globe 6,IG8), Mountain (Specialized FSR), Road (Felt F55-2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
I've been using Shimano 324 pedals on my commuter.... I'm happy with them and they don't cost a fortune. (SPD cleats, Specialized "Sonoma" shoes)

-3bikes
Old 01-10-09, 12:59 PM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mijome07
I use the same bike for winter weather and running errands - it was a pretty good value. FWIW, like many others I use M520s (~ $35 at JensonUSA).
Old 01-10-09, 05:33 PM
jag6780
Bronx <-> Midtown Commute

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have experience with these pedals: Crank Brothers Mallet 1 Bike Pedals
Old 01-10-09, 06:13 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Put me down as another spd user...mtb shoes, nice recessed cleat so it's okay to walk in. I wouldn't want to walk five miles in them, but there's nothing awkward about walking in them.
Old 01-10-09, 08:13 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jag6780
Anyone have experience with these pedals: Crank Brothers Mallet 1 Bike Pedals
Yup; they're a great around-town pedal. They work fine with sneakers, but hard-soled shoes might not have enough traction (for that matter, hard-soled shoes don't have enough traction on any pedal without toe clips, IMO). The big platform gives you plenty to push against when taking off at intersections, and they never gave me hot spots at the cleat of my shoes. No adjustments to worry about, no jamming due to dirt or ice.

Honestly, I don't see why there aren't more of these being used. I recommend them to everyone.
Old 01-10-09, 08:40 PM
paulwwalters
beatz down lo|seatz up hi

Bikes: A 2007 Trek 4300. 22.5", 1981 Trek 610 24" (61cm)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time ATAC!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.