Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Use a freewheel on a Brevet Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09, 05:50 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 3,833 Times in 674 Posts
Use a freewheel on a Brevet Bike?

Anyone use older bikes with 5 or 6sp freewheels for Brevet riding? With IRD now making new 5 and 6sp freewheels it would seem to me to be a great enabler to use for my old bike that I love so much for it's simplicity. I am new to Randonee and would appreciate any opinions on this subject. The old Regina just gave up the ghost and the new IRD is going on this week.
Old 01-11-09, 08:32 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have done brevets on a 6-speed freewheel bike. I see no problem with doing so. In fact, I just did a New Year's day 200K brevet on that bike. Riders used freewheels for many years. So long as you can get the range of gears you need, it should be just fine.
Old 01-13-09, 10:16 AM
bobbycorno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
I have done brevets on a 6-speed freewheel bike. I see no problem with doing so. In fact, I just did a New Year's day 200K brevet on that bike. Riders used freewheels for many years. So long as you can get the range of gears you need, it should be just fine.
Me too, but mine was 7 speed. Nice thing about freewheel rear wheels is they tend to have less dish and more spokes than more modern stuff. I broke a spoke in my rear (freewheel) wheel a bit over halfway thru a 200k, and rode it all the way in like that, no problems. Wouldn't have even considered doing that on my Campy 10-speed setup. YMMV, of course.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 01-13-09, 06:14 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 3,833 Times in 674 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation.

I have ridden this bike since 1981 - the rear wheel has seen 3 rims, 3 rear axles and maybe 4 5sp Freewheels in it's lifetime. With the new IRD freewheels I'll keep one going for a long time to come...
Old 01-14-09, 02:22 AM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My main bike is a Frezoni, originally built around 32/40 hole Campag hubs (breaking an axle every 2-3 years) it is now shod with Mavic 501 hubs. I use the Sunrace 13-28 7sp freewheel, being cheap.