Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

gold plated super record group

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 02:48 PM
joe englert

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

i saw a pic of a maruishi carbon fibre bike with campy with campy gold plated super record group on it. does anyone know about this group. is it as rare and valuable as the 50th anniv.group? how many were produced? do any ever come up for sale? thanks. joe e
Old 01-22-09, 03:02 PM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds kinda like some ICS reworked parts.....If they are they are very rare.

https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Swi...d/ICS_main.htm

Check out my bike blog!
Old 01-22-09, 03:38 PM
cyclotoine

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
i think gold palting on any super record would have been "non-factory"
check this out!

Old 01-22-09, 04:11 PM
joe englert

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
those are fantastic but i am pretty sure these are done at campy. the rear derailleur had some red writing on it as well. i couldnt see the parts too well because the pic was not very large to start with. assuming these are not plated somewhere else these must be really rare.
Old 01-22-09, 04:44 PM
Pogliaghi

Liked 60 Times in 21 Posts
I have heard that back in the day there was someone in the Chicago area who would anodize and or plate parts for you - anyone else heard of this?

Mike.
Old 01-22-09, 04:52 PM
cyclotoine

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by joe englert
those are fantastic but i am pretty sure these are done at campy. the rear derailleur had some red writing on it as well. i couldnt see the parts too well because the pic was not very large to start with. assuming these are not plated somewhere else these must be really rare.
Assuming you are referring to the ritchey here.

Given the non-campy parts that have been plated and the uniformity of the specially anodized back parts, which are both non=campy and campy, I think this is all aftermarket.

Old 01-22-09, 05:03 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I would think actual gold would disintegrate on bicycle components that are subjected to friction as gold is extremely soft and flexible. It's used in tethers for space-walks. Many things I've seen that people think is gold is actually titanium nitride. TN looks very much like gold, but it's extremely hard and durable. For instance, it's used for the "gold-plating" one finds on some firearms and rifles. I'd want that, over gold, anyday. Unless the bicycle wasn't going to be ridden - just hung on a wall to gawk at.

TN can also be anodized onto things - like gold can be.

Last edited by Panthers007; 01-22-09 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 05:28 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Liked 4,534 Times in 2,141 Posts
SR with a black-anodized Rally cage? Now that's what I call ultra-custom.

-Kurt

Old 01-22-09, 06:19 PM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sticking with ICS......It fits their bill.

Check out my bike blog!
Old 01-22-09, 06:28 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Absolutely gorgeous - with the exception of that outer chainguard on the big ring. Ridiculous. One might even gore the inside of their leg on one.

-Kurt

Old 01-22-09, 06:59 PM
itsIRIEpat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you prevent the Gold Plating on the inside of the Derailers from rubbing off over time and usage?
Old 01-22-09, 07:03 PM
BlankCrows
Avenir Equipped

Bikes: Chesini X-Uno, etc.....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i saw a pic of a maruishi carbon fibre bike with campy with campy gold plated super record group on it.
If you saw it in a bike book I have that one. Too bad the photo spans two pages or I'd scan it and post it.

If you saw it in some other literature can you post it?
Old 01-22-09, 07:13 PM
Grand Bois

Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Pogliaghi
I have heard that back in the day there was someone in the Chicago area who would anodize and or plate parts for you - anyone else heard of this?

Mike.
You can still have it done. All it takes is money.
Old 01-22-09, 07:17 PM
dokydoky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by itsIRIEpat
How do you prevent the Gold Plating on the inside of the Derailers from rubbing off over time and usage?
I don't think these are intended to be used.
Old 01-22-09, 07:53 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dokydoky
I don't think these are intended to be used.
So true. And therefore, for me at least, thanks for the gorgeous pics and now on to the next thread..
Old 01-22-09, 07:57 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^ I agree
Old 01-22-09, 09:12 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by itsIRIEpat
You don't. Neither do you prevent the clear anodizing on a conventional Campagnolo crankset from rubbing off and getting scratched over time and usage (come to think of it, during the very first derailer shift).

-Kurt

Old 01-22-09, 09:43 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Exactly. It would be an unholy mess after the first few miles. If you want rideable "gold," look into titanium nitride. Most people, from the appearance, can't tell the difference. But it's almost as hard as diamonds.
Old 01-23-09, 07:45 AM
FirstFlight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, that Ritchey sure looks familiar! We got it from the original owner who had all of the work done to it. He said that his buddies were getting their road bikes pimped out and he decided to do it to a mountain bike. He ordered the frame from Ritchey and sent it to Columbine to have it painted "wild irish rose" with gold leaf "decals". He really did go all out with the plating doing even the small pedal screws and brake springs. After building it up, he couldn't bring himself to ride it so he ordered a second bike to ride!
Old 01-23-09, 10:17 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Sounds ICS to me too. See here on VeloBase.com

Old 01-23-09, 11:26 AM
joe englert

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
gold plated campy

the book with the pic of the maruishi with the gold plated sr group is about selecting a bike. put out in the late 80s. it also has a great pic of lemond on a steel look bike with hinault and huffy decals on it. i bought the book just for the pics of the bikes. by the way no one has answered my question-is the gold plated super record group as rare as the 50the anniv.group. also. did the gold plating come out of the campy factory? the pic of the rear derailleur with the red writing on it is the same one i saw as part of the group in the book on the maruishsi.
Old 01-23-09, 12:16 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
I'm afraid the gilt Campy leaves me cold, guys. I grant you that classic Campy stuff is beautiful; but it's the combination of function and design that makes it so. It has a beauty that gold doesn't improve.

Aside from that, gilding makes just about anything look cheap and gaudy; the deep luster of the metal doesn't really show up well in a high polish. Make something out of solid gold and let it get a little worn down, and it gets a beauty that plating doesn't touch.

Not that I'd want solid gold Campy parts on any bike of mine; gold is pretty, but it's heavy and soft, poorly suited to bike parts.
Old 01-23-09, 02:32 PM
kpug505

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
the pic of the rear derailleur with the red writing on it is the same one i saw as part of the group in the book on the maruishsi.
ICS!!!

As previously stated...Please follow the links provided in the previous posts for the info you seek. It is not factory Campy stuff but reworked stuff by a company called ICS. Very rare and sought after. I watched a set of NOS SR shifters in the box go for $300 recently.

Check out my bike blog!
Old 01-24-09, 01:34 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
That panto'd, gold crank looks like some BET video bling.
Old 01-24-09, 02:45 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
That panto'd, gold crank looks like some BET video bling.
Correction - the Nuovo crankset has class. A bling-bling, thong-thong, boobs-boobs, sex-sex, music video does not.

-Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.