Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Gloves choice?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Gloves choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 01:06 AM
t.o.road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Gloves choice?

Hi all. When buying bike gloves, would you choose a more padded glove or one that is less padded. I am trying to decide between getting the Pearl Izumi Slice gloves or the Louis Garneau Ergo Air glove. Apparently the Pearl Izumi has more padding. The Pearl Izumi has Polyurethane/gel palm padding whereas the Louis Garneau seems to have Amara padding. I looked at one or two reviews, but they are too few to decide. Some say the Louis Garneau padding is not enough and not in the right places. I have also heard from some to stay away from Gel Padding. If you have any information about this, I would appreciate it. I will probably buy it online, most likely from Performance so haven't tried either glove on. Thanks for any advice. If there are any other gloves worth considering I would appreciate knowing about that too. Thanks
Old 03-28-09, 03:51 AM
rmwkokomo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The decision to go with more or less padding is a personal preference.

I have 3 pairs of the LG ErgoAir's and they are perfect for me. Have never tried the Pearl Izumi's you mention but have used other gel gloves and did not care for them - too bulky for my taste and over time the gel always seemed to shift away from where it was useful.
Old 03-28-09, 04:12 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rmwkokomo
the decision to go with more or less padding is a personal preference.
Snip.
+1

personally I find specialized gloves to be of better quality than PI gloves made since 2007.

Last edited by AEO; 03-28-09 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-28-09, 06:51 AM
dcvelo
Pretend Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Louis Garneau Bio-Gel gloves...not so much because I'm a gel fan as because they fit me well. Most gloves don't. Having a glove that doesn't start pinching between the fingers after riding a while matters most to me.
Old 03-28-09, 07:02 AM
MarkSLC
considering myself warned

Bikes: Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Basso Gap Roadie (under construction), '84 Univega Roadie with Original Campy Victory, Centurion Le Mans Fixie Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep an eye on Bonktown.com

I picked up a pair of Santini gloves for cheap that I like. They have less padding than my Specialized Gloves, and I prefer the less padding... personally.
Old 03-28-09, 07:16 AM
Manwich

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard the gel gets hard as a rock after one season. Don't know from experience though...
Old 03-28-09, 07:35 AM
dcvelo
Pretend Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Manwich
I heard the gel gets hard as a rock after one season. Don't know from experience though...
To be honest, I never notice the padding in the Bio-Gel's..there isn't that much of it and I don't do the death grip on the bars thing. My Castelli winter gloves have basically no padding...it's not that important.
Old 03-28-09, 07:50 AM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is personal preference. I prefer no gel or padding. Also I really like the Specilaized gloves.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 03-28-09, 08:52 AM
malpag3
takin' it to the streets

Bikes: 1999 Kona Kapu; late 70's/early 80's Araya road bike/commuter bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, all about the personal preference.

I have carpel tunnel syndrome and tendon issues. I like gel gloves because they dampen a lot of the numbing vibrations I used to experience.

Make sure they're snug because gel gloves that are too big will shift into places that are useless and annoying.
Old 03-28-09, 09:07 AM
Jakedatc

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
anyone have these castelli pro mitts?
Old 03-28-09, 09:18 AM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Specialized Enduro glove is my favorite of all time. Unfortunately I'm due for some new ones. Right now I'm riding with Cannondale 3 Season gloves. Another fine glove, but they're for colder weather and they smell really funky now.
Old 03-28-09, 09:24 AM
G_C

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8, Specialized Stumpjumper ht

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me the Pearl Izumi Slice glove is a lightly, gel padded glove and gets points for the silicone grip on the palms. After some use the gel does compact a little but nothing that affects fit or performance. If you like Pearl Izumi and don't need padding then I recommend the Pearl Izumi non-padded Pittards gloves. The palm is made with Pittards brand machine washable leather and gets grippy as you perspire or if they become damp. I have both and didn't touch my PI Slice gloves last season.
Old 03-28-09, 09:29 AM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I prefer less padding and a non-gel glove. I have the older PI Attack and they are perfect. The new ones have more padding and I believe they are gel. Gloves do make a difference even on short rides (25 miles).
Old 03-28-09, 09:46 AM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like no gloves or gloves with no padding at all.
Old 03-28-09, 10:13 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Most manufacturers make padded gloves with the padding in the position they think is right. And even change the padding and position in their various models. I had a problem with hand ache and went to a shop on a ride that carried a good array of gloves. 25 pairs later and I had found three pairs of gloves that seemed to have the padding in the right place and then sat on my bike to find the pair I liked. That was the pair I bought but I never realised gloves could be that expensive.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-28-09, 05:32 PM
Brentster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've looked far and wide and can't seem to find (what I consider) a decent glove anymore. It seems like anything made in the last 10 years is pretty wimpy. I do most of my riding on the hoods, so I'm looking for a glove with a thick, rigid palm right where the hoods hit between the thumb and the side of the hand. It used to be easy to find such a glove, but not anymore. Gel, to me, is worthless in a glove. Give me thick leather and let me break it in myself.

Anyone know of a decent old school cycling glove with a thick leather palm?
Old 03-28-09, 05:38 PM
Ed in GA
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this glove.

Has good padding in the Heel/Thumb area.

https://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?...&bShopOnline=1
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 03-28-09, 05:56 PM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
more than satisfied with my 2 specialized pairs.
Old 03-28-09, 06:00 PM
Jakedatc

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I really like the thin palm of my PBK gloves but the thumb is this mesh **** that's useless for wiping your nose,face etc
Old 03-28-09, 06:11 PM
lukewall

Bikes: 2000 Raleigh M50. 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour. 2008 Cannondale Synapse 6.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nitropowered
I like no gloves or gloves with no padding at all.
I'm the same way. I don't like any padding at all, just something for grip and to protect my hands in case the ship goes down. I've used gloves with padding and the padding seemed to hurt my hands more than having no padding at all. Like the pressure was concentrated into the area of the padding instead of across my entire palm.

And I like my gloves very, very snug. It's all personal preference.
Old 03-28-09, 06:33 PM
cwathne
can I haz bicycle?

Bikes: 2007 Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
love my specialized BG gel gloves
Old 03-28-09, 07:22 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lukewall
I'm the same way. I don't like any padding at all, just something for grip and to protect my hands in case the ship goes down. I've used gloves with padding and the padding seemed to hurt my hands more than having no padding at all. Like the pressure was concentrated into the area of the padding instead of across my entire palm.

And I like my gloves very, very snug. It's all personal preference.
same here. I used to unstitch the padding out of gloves until I found pearl izumi made a padding-less glove.
Old 03-28-09, 07:28 PM
Shimagnolo

Liked 5,866 Times in 3,041 Posts
Best gloves I've used:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/pisim..._gloves/pp.htm
Old 03-28-09, 07:38 PM
jmess

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I really like these wind proof gloves for long rides in fall and spring. For me they get too hot above 60 and too cold below 35; mainly on descents. Padding is perfect for me.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...duct_id=527536
Old 03-28-09, 09:07 PM
Cdy291

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These right here are actually very good.

Co owner of The Chain Station bike shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.