Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strange Feeling

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 07:50 PM
Therian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strange Feeling

Hello I am new to this I mostly do it at night around 6-10 miles a night I have been trying to increase my time on 6 miles nights and go on a more casual pace for 10 mile nights.

Last night was a 6 mile and while I shaved 1 minute off the previous attempt night I had a weird feeling around my left knee. Its like a pulling feeling right around the top left of the knee I could feel it every time I pushed down on the pettle.

Just curious if it was normal or not.

I run my own driving company with my father taking people to dialysis and what have while its great money it kills the body and turns it into jello so I am not sure if its a "lazy" pain or if I might be pushing it to hard to fast. I have only been at it for about a week.

I don't have use a fancy bike....want to see if I will stick with it first. It is a Ross and road bike so its doing its job just dandy

Going to the doc atm isn't possible with current life changes that are happening..I wont be able to get to one for a month or so till everything is final on my house and other things.
Old 04-02-09, 07:53 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
1. Pedal.

2. Is your bicycle set up correctly for you?
Old 04-02-09, 08:03 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
You've only been cycling for a week?
Back off a little. Don't ride if it hurts. Doesn't really hurt?
Gradually work up the speed and distance.
Old 04-02-09, 08:29 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
2. Is your bicycle set up correctly for you?
That's what I'm wondering too. A too low saddle, if you are trying hard, will definitely cause knee pain.

Try sitting on your bike in a doorway or someplace that you can hold yourself up. If you can just manage to pedal backwards with your heels on the pedals, that's a good estimate of saddle height.
Old 04-02-09, 09:19 PM
Therian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
1. Pedal.
Was curious where my English teacher disappeared too .

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That's what I'm wondering too. A too low saddle, if you are trying hard, will definitely cause knee pain.

Try sitting on your bike in a doorway or someplace that you can hold yourself up. If you can just manage to pedal backwards with your heels on the pedals, that's a good estimate of saddle height.
Height seems to be just fine by those standards. I am curious I tend to push with my front part of the foot more then the back of my foot...I do it without thinking...could that cause issues?

Originally Posted by JanMM
You've only been cycling for a week?
Back off a little. Don't ride if it hurts. Doesn't really hurt?
Gradually work up the speed and distance.
Well 9 days as of today couldn't do anything tonight due to rain. Also its not a pain per say its a "strange" feeling. Something that doesn't feel right but doesn't hurt either. I was wondering if maybe it was just my muscles being out of shape around there it was a little soar this morning but nothing that would be pain. My arms feel about the same after lifting weights to give you a idea of the feel.
Old 04-03-09, 08:41 AM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

See the website above.
Old 04-03-09, 08:57 AM
Bizurke
Lost in Los Angeles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Taking a break sure wouldn't hurt.

I would make sure the bike fits you right and that you have the seat adjusted to the correct height. Are you keeping your feet at an odd angle on the pedals or something like that? If you aren't using them already I suggest clipless pedals, or clips and straps, something to keep your feet in the same position. They will help you keep a better form. With clipless there is a method to pedaling that will allow for maximum power and less impact. Something I read Greg Lemond say once. When pushing down move your foot like you're scraping mud off a curb then rotate and when you pull up pull your leg forward with the bottom of your feet near vertical. This method of spinning has helped me with various leg/knee pain, made me a little faster, and over time became habit.
Old 04-03-09, 12:16 PM
Therian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see well I will take a few days then and will try your routine Bizurke.

Thanks for the help guys and links.
Old 04-03-09, 01:14 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Therian
Was curious where my English teacher disappeared too .

Ran off with your spelling teacher
Old 04-03-09, 02:52 PM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also make sure that you aren't trying to mash too big a gear. It is much better for your joints and connective tissue to spin a lower gear quickly as opposed to mashing your highest gear. I spend more time drilling this into my Spinning students. Also +1 on the clips and straps, taking a day off now and again and making sure your bike is set up properly- saddle height and fore and aft adjustments as necessary.