Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

converting...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-09, 11:50 AM
endless

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
converting...

...my old panasonic to fixie, i want to do a flip-flop hub but am not set on it. need some suggestions on the parts i need....which need to be reasonably inexpensive as i have house projects that take priority.....or so my wife says.....

heres the bike stripped down waiting for final touches...and a good cleaning....
Old 04-03-09, 12:04 PM
jhill44
Bicycle User

Bikes: Felt F1x

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's an awesome bike, people on this forum hate on conversions but I think they're sweet. If I were you I would just thread on a fixed sprocket and be done with it, later if you really can't get used to fixed riding then swap your old hub out for a flip flop hub. How big are your chain rings up front?
Old 04-03-09, 12:34 PM
pyroguy_3

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 1970's Miyata Liberty ala fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jhill44
That's an awesome bike, people on this forum hate on conversions but I think they're sweet. If I were you I would just thread on a fixed sprocket and be done with it, later if you really can't get used to fixed riding then swap your old hub out for a flip flop hub. How big are your chain rings up front?
How to you "thread on a fixed sprocket"? You can modify your freewheel to be "fixed", but to thread on a cog you need a hub with threads.

Formula hubs are cheep and haven't failed me after 2 years of use in all weather, snow/ice included. What sort of part suggestions are you looking for? Your post wasn't explicitly clear as to what you wanted, so if you wanted guidance : https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html.
Old 04-03-09, 12:57 PM
Falcon3

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agreed- take your rear wheel in to the LBS and get it redished and have them put on a cog with some loctite. It will only cost ~$30 for all parts and labor. Then throw it on your bike, get a chain, and ride! People here hate on this setup, but if you don't want to immediately spend at least $100 on a wheelset, plus new tires and tubes for the 700 wheels instead of your 27" (which I'm assuming this has), then this setup will work fine.
I"ve been running the exact setup for over 2000 miles and had no problems with it- you just can't expect to do sick skidzzzz- use a front brake.

At least it'll help you decide on whether or not you like fixed riding. Then you can go out and blow $700 on a track bike. Just make sure you RUN A FRONT BRAKE.
Old 04-03-09, 01:26 PM
blodorn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pyroguy_3
How to you "thread on a fixed sprocket"? You can modify your freewheel to be "fixed", but to thread on a cog you need a hub with threads.
That hub has threads, they're what the freewheel is threaded on.
+1 on the formula hubs

Last edited by blodorn; 04-07-09 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-03-09, 01:33 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Falcon3
Just make sure you RUN A FRONT BRAKE.
It's best to run a rear brake as well with this setup. Redundancy is always a good thing, since backpedaling can not be counted on to stop you, you could benefit from a backup in case your front brake breaks (break brakes). It's a bit paranoid, but sometimes that's a good thing.
Old 04-03-09, 01:36 PM
blodorn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzz2050
It's best to run a rear brake as well with this setup. Redundancy is always a good thing, since backpedaling can not be counted on to stop you, you could benefit from a backup in case your front brake breaks (break brakes). It's a bit paranoid, but sometimes that's a good thing.
Or if you don't care about those hubs, you could get yourself some JB Weld (or any other metal/metal epoxy) and just glue the cog on. It's what I did with my first fixed/convo, on some junk steel wheels and it's never been a problem backpedaling/skidding
Old 04-03-09, 01:46 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pyroguy_3

Formula hubs are cheep and haven't failed me after 2 years of use in all weather, snow/ice included. What sort of part suggestions are you looking for? Your post wasn't explicitly clear as to what you wanted, so if you wanted guidance : https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html.
As mentioned above, that rear hub most likely has cassette threads rather than a freehub, and so will accommodate a cog. Doing this right requires respacing and redishing, though, and it may be less hassle to do it up right and replace or relace the wheel with a Formula hub. Especially if you want to go fixed, a hub with lockring threading may be worth the peace of mind.

Edit: Operator caught my typo above. The threads are of course for a freewheel, not a cassette.

Last edited by kyselad; 04-06-09 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-03-09, 01:55 PM
muckymucky
on Baby Charlie Concept~

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i say if you're going to ride your bike after you convert more than you would even touch your bike now = convert it~ dont let your bike sit there and rust~
Old 04-05-09, 03:43 PM
jhill44
Bicycle User

Bikes: Felt F1x

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Step one: remove freewheel
Step two:thread on fixed sprocket
+1 on J.B. weld btw
Old 04-05-09, 05:07 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Half of you people have no idea what you're talking about. That bike does not have "cassette threads", there's no such thing. He either has a freewheel, which threads on - or you don't (cassette). If you have a freewheel then you can throw a fixed cog on there and run a suicide setup. Respacing and redishing may not be necessary depending on the chainline.

Originally Posted by blodorn
It's what I did with my first fixed/convo, on some junk steel wheels and it's never been a problem backpedaling/skidding
Just because you haven't had problems doesn't mean you should start suggesting this setup to others. Especially if you're backpedalling/skidding.

Last edited by operator; 04-05-09 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 09:07 AM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I obviously mistyped above -- cassettes are for freehubs as operator noted. But if the OP does go with the existing hub (assuming it's threaded), simply gluing on a cog just isn't a good plan. At the very least, there should also be a bb lockring outboard of the cog, but even this isn't a very reliable setup as you're still working in the same thread direction. It's fine to go this route as long as you have a contingency plan -- without getting into a big argument about whether brakeless setups make sense at all, a brake is even more important as a failsafe with "suicide" hubs.

Last edited by kyselad; 04-06-09 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-06-09, 10:44 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Half of you people have no idea what you're talking about. That bike does not have "cassette threads", there's no such thing.[/I]
You've obviously never seen a uniglide cassette

That's something else entirely though.

Back to the OP, I suggest just buying a new fixed gear rear wheel. Unless your budget is really tight, it's the easiest way.
Old 07-06-09, 12:24 PM
endless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
havent been in the forums lately, thanks for all your input and help, i'm probably going to end up just updating the wheels and crank with a flip-flop (fixie/ss) hub with the help of a friend who has an extra wheelset he doesnt need. i'll try and post pics after but it may be a while cuz unfortunately money is still an issue lol