Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New tires - vittoria randonneur pro

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 07:15 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I just installed vittoria randonneur pro tires on my bike. Replacing the tires that came on bike. After 5 years, the side walls were cracking on the Nokian Ultra Tour. Still plenty of tread left. I am going up to 700 35 from 700 32. Looking for a little cushier ride. Do any of you use these tires and if so, how do they hold up?
Old 04-22-09, 07:50 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm very interested in this tire. I've run the regular Randonneur in 32 for quite some time. I've had great luck with very little flatting. Isn't the pro folding bead? I did see that they have a new one that is.

If your the only one it's your duty to report back your experience
Old 04-22-09, 06:30 PM
biking nurse

Bikes: trek 5000, rocky mountain sherpa 30, trek 6700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just replaced the Kenda Kwest 32c tires that came on my bike with Vittoria Rondonneur 32c Hyper tires.
They are lighter in weight and have a kevlar bead. I have never had these tires before so I will
have to see how they wear.
Old 04-22-09, 06:32 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The randonneur pro 35s roll like bricks...but otherwise are a decent tire.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-22-09, 06:55 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agree with chipcom they aren't exactly a "performance" tyre but otherwise ok.
Old 04-22-09, 07:26 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Randochap
Agree with chipcom they aren't exactly a "performance" tyre but otherwise ok.
Not looking for a "performance" tire, but a nice riding tire for comfort will carrying a load. Went out and did 26 miles today and like the soft ride. Not sure how a brick rides.
Old 04-22-09, 07:36 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dannwilliams
Not looking for a "performance" tire, but a nice riding tire for comfort will carrying a load. Went out and did 26 miles today and like the soft ride. Not sure how a brick rides.
They ride comfy enough, but compared to my Conti Top Contacts or even my old Top Tourings...they make coasting feel more like stopping and seem to take more power to the pedals to maintain the same speed.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-22-09, 09:03 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dannwilliams
Not looking for a "performance" tire, but a nice riding tire for comfort will carrying a load.
Each to their own. I like a tyre that rolls well. There is always a balance between performance and durability. I've never felt I compromised the latter by choosing a quality tyre like a Gatorskin -- or in the case of my 650b bike, the incredibly supple Grand Bois Hetre. In respect to that bike, I could run the very robust Schwalbe Marathon HS 368. But they are very much a "brick" compared to the Hetre.
Old 04-22-09, 09:18 PM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had terrible experiences with these. Tried them on the Northern Tier, had one die within 1500 miles (straight thru the tread). Threw on the spare and it barely lasted. Flatted more than should have been possible. As soon as I got home replaced them both.
Old 04-23-09, 04:08 AM
elpy zee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried to attach a picture of the randonneur on my rear wheel, with the tread worn off revealing another layer below. I noticed this the other day, just after the bike came out of hibernation. There is still a lot of material on the tire (probably more than my old Pasela TGs had to start with), but I changed it to be safe--and put on another randonneur. These go on and off without tire irons, which is nice. Sorry I don't know the mileage on the tire. As far as longevity, I haven't got close to the five years the original post mentioned on any tire, riding 1500 to 1800 miles per year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rear_tire.jpg (99.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 04-23-09, 09:10 AM
balto charlie

Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
650b bike[/URL], the incredibly supple Grand Bois Hetre. In respect to that bike, I could run the very robust Schwalbe Marathon HS 368. But they are very much a "brick" compared to the Hetre.
I have been reading about the Hetres. I run 700 so I can't use them. What tire do you think is comparable to it for 700s? Ruffy Tuffy?? What about Jack Browns(blue or green??)? I don't think I want to build up a tourer w/650s at this time. Then again.....
Old 04-23-09, 10:58 AM
elduderino12
The Dude Abides

Bikes: Dawes Horizon 2007, Claud Butler Roubaix 2008, Dawes Sardar 2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gone the other way to you; I'm now using Nokian Ultra Tour II tyres. I used the Vittoria's on my last tour, I got 800 miles out of the rear tyre before the sidewall split and the front tyre showed cracks after about 1000 miles. I replaced that one before the inevitable happened.
Old 04-23-09, 11:20 AM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by balto charlie
I have been reading about the Hetres. I run 700 so I can't use them. What tire do you think is comparable to it for 700s? Ruffy Tuffy?? What about Jack Browns(blue or green??)? I don't think I want to build up a tourer w/650s at this time. Then again.....
The Hetre has no peer in 700 as far as I know. The key is in the volume and the supple casing, which makes it incredibly comfortable and fast. From what I understand, the manufacturer has very nearly reproduced the performance of the legendary hand-made French demi-balloon tyres of yore. They come alive on chipseal and gravel surfaces.

I can't say that I've used them with a heavily loaded bike; just day tours and randonnees w/ appropriate gear. But I have around 3,000 kilometres on my first pair with only a couple of flats and one deep 1/2" wide cut through the rubber to the casing which (tip) I successfully fixed with Super Glue.
Old 04-23-09, 11:29 AM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by elpy zee
I've tried to attach a picture of the randonneur on my rear wheel, with the tread worn off revealing another layer below.
You've just jogged my memory. I had a British couple stay with me who were cycling to South America. They had started in Alaska. So what's that to southern BC? Maybe 3,000 km? Their Vittoria Randonneurs looked just like that -- worn through to the casing.

I have ridden the same roads and noticed no appreciable wear on the Specialized tyres I used.
Old 04-23-09, 03:33 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by elduderino12
I've gone the other way to you; I'm now using Nokian Ultra Tour II tyres. I used the Vittoria's on my last tour, I got 800 miles out of the rear tyre before the sidewall split and the front tyre showed cracks after about 1000 miles. I replaced that one before the inevitable happened.
Maybe I am making a mistake. Now I'm a little worried. I use Vittoria's on my road bike, and thought I'd give their touring tires a shot. I could not find any Nokian like I had, either. Very happy with them, 5 years and over 3000 miles, plenty of tread but side walls are cracking. I guess I'll find out how they do for me.
Old 04-23-09, 05:02 PM
Billiam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the vittoria randonneur 700-32s on my commuter/tourer and consistently get 3500-4000 miles in mostly all-weather urban PNW riding, carrying my clydesdale bod. YMMV, but it's my go-to tire. Never tried -35s, though.
Old 04-23-09, 10:51 PM
milnerpt

Bikes: Scott scale 29er, Gary fisher Rig SS 29er, Fuji Cross pro, Novara Randonee, Scattante TI custom build, Fuji Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkauffman
I had terrible experiences with these. Tried them on the Northern Tier, had one die within 1500 miles (straight thru the tread). Threw on the spare and it barely lasted. Flatted more than should have been possible. As soon as I got home replaced them both.
i wore through mine in 1200 miles on my pacific coast tour. Id avoid em. no flats though...
Old 04-24-09, 12:15 AM
Cave
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vittoria Randonneur 28s seem to roll OK and last forever, but they're not particularly comfortable. They feel pretty stable and secure. I'll probably replace it with something else if it ever wears out, which seems highly improbable based on performance over the last year or two!
Old 04-24-09, 11:43 AM
balto charlie

Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
The Hetre has no peer in 700 as far as I know. The key is in the volume and the supple casing, which makes it incredibly comfortable and fast. From what I understand, the manufacturer has very nearly reproduced the performance of the legendary hand-made French demi-balloon tyres of yore. They come alive on chipseal and gravel surfaces.

I can't say that I've used them with a heavily loaded bike; just day tours and randonnees w/ appropriate gear. But I have around 3,000 kilometres on my first pair with only a couple of flats and one deep 1/2" wide cut through the rubber to the casing which (tip) I successfully fixed with Super Glue.
Sounds like a Sunday century tire or hotel touring(which I don't do often). I like the idea of comfort and speed. I spent last night reading Sheldon Brown's "How to build a 650B". I'm thinking the wheels and tires(Hetres) will cost $500.00. The brakes will also need to be adjusted or replaced. Thanks for your information. Nice pictures on your link. Best, Charlie