Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are you a salty and high volume sweater?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 10:11 AM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Bikes: Tarmac SL4, Lemond Victoire, Titus Motolite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After several years of riding and running, and now dating a girl in a DPT program who minored in nutrition (who is also a competitive runner), I've come to the conclusion that I am indeed a salty sweater. And I've always been a heavy sweater. For some reason, I generate body heat at higher rates when exercising than anyone I know. In the winter when I go backcountry skiing, I need to take it down to a single baselayer in conditions down to 0F.

And when I sweat, I tend to lose salt like mad as well. My helmet straps always get coated. My face will have a salt crust. I've developed calf and quad cramps from minor hyponutremia before.

Anyone here like this? How do you handle it in terms of eating while riding? I think I'm ready to give salted potatos a try on my next ride.

Does anyone eat salted hardboiled eggs? I take those along skiing with me and they're great, but I've also read, and through experience learned that in cold weather, metabolizing fats yield higher body heat outputs. Maybe that'd be too hard to stomach in warm weather, and give the wrong effect.
Old 06-11-09, 10:13 AM
fauxto nick
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get hot quick but I am not a heavy sweater and never salty.
Old 06-11-09, 10:14 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Yes, I have the same condition and also do not need heavy layers while alpine skiing. I also have marginally low blood pressure and my doctor has recommended salt tablets.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-11-09, 10:18 AM
tchap27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always sweat a lot when I ride and on harder efforts I sometimes get the salt buildup on my helmet straps as you described. It mostly occurs on rides where I did not have enough water with me but I do not know if that really has anything to do with it. In terms of eating while riding I just drink plenty of water and eat a couple granola bars along the way and deal with it.
Old 06-11-09, 10:19 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
I am. When I was playing baseball, my hat always had a crusty white ring. I try to make sure I always take a bottle of Gatorade along with a bottle of water. Salty snacks like pretzels are good to take along too.
Old 06-11-09, 10:21 AM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Yes, I have the same condition and also do not need heavy layers while alpine skiing. I also have marginally low blood pressure and my doctor has recommended salt tablets.

Michael
Yeah, I'm typically around 96-100 systolic and 60-70 diastolic, and my PCP told me I really shouldn't need to be concerned with my sodium intake, and he said to listen to my cravings, particularly when sweating.
Old 06-11-09, 10:23 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i am. doing any other form of exercise i get totally drenched; so much so that i can wring out my t-shirt. i don't notice it when cycling becasue it evaporates so quickly so it is actually dangerously deceptive as i can cramp up if i'm not careful. after a long ride, if i lick my lips i can actually taste and feel salt crystals.

knowing this, my riding food has been changed to salty crisps rather than fig rolls and cookies previously.
Old 06-11-09, 10:23 AM
timster
ɹǝʇsɯıʇ

Bikes: 2011 Focus Whistler // 2011 Cannondale CAAD10 // 2009 Scattante XRL TT // 1993 Cannondale R400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sweat a lot. It's very salty.

I hadn't really given it much thought before.
Old 06-11-09, 10:24 AM
redirekib
I ain't no newbie

Location: The Goddard Institute - Area 51-Skunk Works Division - Space Age Materials Lab
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No, but I'm an old salt.
Old 06-11-09, 10:25 AM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Nope, I'm am Argyle V neck.
Old 06-11-09, 10:25 AM
thexcat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timster
i sweat a lot. It's very salty.

I hadn't really given it much thought before.
+1
Old 06-11-09, 10:27 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes sweat a lot and very salty. This time a year I lose 2lbs/hr of water during my rides and cannot keep up with hydration. I have to limits myself in the summer to about 2-2.5 hrs max riding to avoid dehydration.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-11-09, 10:28 AM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
i am. doing any other form of exercise i get totally drenched; so much so that i can wring out my t-shirt. i don't notice it when cycling becasue it evaporates so quickly so it is actually dangerously deceptive as i can cramp up if i'm not careful. after a long ride, if i lick my lips i can actually taste and feel salt crystals.

knowing this, my riding food has been changed to salty crisps rather than fig rolls and cookies previously.
Yeah, one of the problems I've noticed is that a lot of foods with good sodium content will also tend to have higher fat content, which I seem to be able to tolerate more than other cyclists I ride with, but also takes a lot longer to metabolize. Pretzels I suppose are an exception, but dry starch makes my mouth feel like crap, especially if I'm low on fluids to begin with.

I'm thinking salted baked potato, or even lightly friend in olive oil is something I'm going to give a try.
Old 06-11-09, 10:33 AM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zatopek
Nope, I'm am Argyle V neck.
Killer boots, man!

Old 06-11-09, 10:33 AM
kyriefurro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also a heavy, salty sweater. A few weeks ago I had my first electrolyte induced bonk. I felt great - awake, alert, energetic and eager to ride - and my legs felt like someone had pumped them full of lead lol. I've started using Hammer's Endurolytes during rides - 2 tablets per hour - and that's solved my electrolyte problem.

Now, if I can just figure out how to drink enough to replace the fluids I'm sweating out .
Old 06-11-09, 10:38 AM
kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Yes sweat a lot and very salty. This time a year I lose 2lbs/hr of water during my rides and cannot keep up with hydration. I have to limits myself in the summer to about 2-2.5 hrs max riding to avoid dehydration.
+1

I have considered using the Hammer pills, but am reluctant to have to take tabs every hour
Old 06-11-09, 10:49 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Liked 198 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by kyriefurro
I've started using Hammer's Endurolytes during rides - 2 tablets per hour - and that's solved my electrolyte problem.
+2, on really hot days these save my bacon
Old 06-11-09, 10:53 AM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not so much volume but salty. My cap gets rimed in this weather.
Old 06-11-09, 10:56 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I am a salty high volume swearer.

So you can all go F yourselves.
Old 06-11-09, 10:57 AM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kwrides
+1

I have considered using the Hammer pills, but am reluctant to have to take tabs every hour
I actually tried those once, I think I got some free as a pity prize at a MTB race, but instead of swallowing them I open the capsule and dumped the powder into my water bottle.

From what I understand, though, salty sweaters, despite losing sodium quickly, most times lose other electrolytes at more normal levels. And I think my intake of the other electrolytes is at a sustainable rate, I'm in need of something that bumps up sodium specifically.
Old 06-11-09, 11:16 AM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ whatever to endurolytes:

https://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...T&PROD.ID=4037
Old 06-11-09, 11:16 AM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mose
Yeah, I'm typically around 96-100 systolic and 60-70 diastolic, and my PCP told me I really shouldn't need to be concerned with my sodium intake, and he said to listen to my cravings, particularly when sweating.
I enjoy getting my tempreture and blood pressure taken.....PCP looks at my weight and starts with the you're overweight lecture (I'm a clyde), then sees a low 90 over low to mid 50 blood pressure. This usually creates an awkward silence....

Back on point, I to am a heavy sweater and can taste the salt as well as feel the crusty layer. This could explain my cravings of french fries with a side of sea salted potato chips after longer rides.....

I also warm up faster. I think that has something to do with my lower than average body tempreture. I am typically in the 97s and was a 96 one day. I generate lots of heat though, my girlfriend can attest to that
Old 06-11-09, 11:23 AM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snowman40
I enjoy getting my tempreture and blood pressure taken.....PCP looks at my weight and starts with the you're overweight lecture (I'm a clyde), then sees a low 90 over low to mid 50 blood pressure. This usually creates an awkward silence....

Back on point, I to am a heavy sweater and can taste the salt as well as feel the crusty layer. This could explain my cravings of french fries with a side of sea salted potato chips after longer rides.....

I also warm up faster. I think that has something to do with my lower than average body tempreture. I am typically in the 97s and was a 96 one day. I generate lots of heat though, my girlfriend can attest to that
Yah, my girlfriend is tiny and is cold a lot, actually has signs of a minor case of Raynaud's...

Makes us really good together, heat flows constantly from me to her It's great when my ears get all hot, I make her put her hands on them to cool them off.

If only I could figure out a low gradient heat engine to put between us and harness some of the energy in the heat transfer going on!
Old 06-11-09, 11:39 AM
kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mose
Yah, my girlfriend is tiny and is cold a lot, actually has signs of a minor case of Raynaud's...

Makes us really good together, heat flows constantly from me to her It's great when my ears get all hot, I make her put her hands on them to cool them off.

If only I could figure out a low gradient heat engine to put between us and harness some of the energy in the heat transfer going on!
This belongs in a different Forums. Starts with a P, I think.
Old 06-11-09, 11:44 AM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I salt load before hot training/race rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.