Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Maxxis Detonator tires?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Maxxis Detonator tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 02:33 PM
coolkid_cody

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Schwinn Continental II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maxxis Detonator tires?

These came stock with my Steamroller and I have gotten 4 flats on this bike withing a couple weeks. I'm not riding in terribly dirty streets or anything. the recomended psi is 120 and I inflate to that. I'v riddin other bikes on the same routes for years and have had no problems. Has anybody else had bad luck with these tires in terms of flats? any comments about the tires in general?
Old 06-25-09, 02:42 PM
psirue
curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of flats?

120 psi is the maximum inflation, not the recommended.

Use this as a guide, instead:

Tire Width=20: Pressure(psi) = (0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 63.33
Tire Width=23: Pressure(psi) = (0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 53.33
Tire Width=25: Pressure(psi) = (0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 43.33
Tire Width=28: Pressure(psi) = (0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 33.33
Tire Width=32: Pressure(psi) = (0.17 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 41.67
Tire Width=37: Pressure(psi) = (0.17 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 26.67

Example: You are 150lbs running 28's

Pressure (psi) = (0.33*150) +33.33 = 82.83psi (rear)
Front Pressure = .9*Rear Pressure = .9*82.83psi = 74.55psi front
Old 06-25-09, 06:58 PM
time bandit
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive actually had pretty good luck with these tires in the past.
Old 06-25-09, 07:50 PM
dudezor
abides and rides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a rear tyre that cops a lot of skidding they last really well. They have to be the all black ones though; the coloured ones suck. The coloured ones square off badly and get very sketchy and unpredictable when cornering due to the two-colour dual compound.

They're nowhere near as buttery as something like a Randonneur, but they're a lot harder wearing.
Old 06-26-09, 12:17 PM
veganwar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are two popular models of Maxxis tires (at least for the road). The detonators come in colors while the refuse do not. The detonators lack the kevlar belt that the refuse has. While I generaly felt the ride of the detonators were nicer than the refuse, the lack of flats on the refuse wins out. Even when I had a a lot of missing rubber after like six months of a refuse on the rear, it still didn't get a flat. I only got a flat with the detonators when I put a hole through the tire.
Old 06-28-09, 02:35 AM
davewins

Bikes: 2009 KHS flite 100, 2004 Giant Sadon DX, 1971 3spd Schwinn Varsity, 2003 GT Avalanche 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude, i put well over 2000 miles on mine with a total of 2 flats
i only ended up replacing them because they got eaten up, after i decided to start skidding..

bought some conti ultrasports and i hate them compaired to my old detonators.
they have the worse name ever for a tire but mine were awesome.

i'd just suggest that you be more careful with where you put your tires/what you roll over.

ps. try 100psi your pumps gauge might be off, those things are only good to a +-% range.
Old 06-28-09, 05:57 PM
Copcar
plz tell me what's cool

Bikes: Litespeed Ibis, Schwinn Traveler III,(circa 1983),Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Detonators = sh*t. The ones that came with my Steamroller lasted 3 weeks before the threads started showing through on the back tire. Replaced it with a Soma Everwear which is considerably more durable and skids real smooth.

For a front tire I guess Detonators aren't horrible, but I wouldn't chance it using one on the back unless you never skid or only ride your bike like 30 miles a week.
Old 06-28-09, 06:15 PM
akkando

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just posted, same problem, same tires.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=556430

Been doing 120 PSI, maybe I will try less. Can't really get a straight answer if I should inflate to 120 to avoid flats or less.

Last edited by akkando; 06-28-09 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 10:21 AM
coolkid_cody

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I'll probably use a buddies pump and see if it reads the same. Does it being wet outside have anything to do with getting flats or was that just coincidence that I got all my flats while/ after it rained?

[QUOTE] Just posted, same problem, same tires.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=556430 [QUOTE]

why are you saying this was already posted on? This thread was posted 3 days before that one...
Old 06-29-09, 10:33 AM
jpdesjar

Originally Posted by Copcar
Detonators = sh*t. The ones that came with my Steamroller lasted 3 weeks before the threads started showing through on the back tire. Replaced it with a Soma Everwear which is considerably more durable and skids real smooth.

For a front tire I guess Detonators aren't horrible, but I wouldn't chance it using one on the back unless you never skid or only ride your bike like 30 miles a week.
they aren't garbage because you wore through them in 3 weeks...what do you expect to happen?
i hear good things about everwears

Old 06-29-09, 03:07 PM
davewins

Bikes: 2009 KHS flite 100, 2004 Giant Sadon DX, 1971 3spd Schwinn Varsity, 2003 GT Avalanche 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they just wernt make for skidddz..
they are way too soft.
Old 07-05-09, 06:00 AM
dudezor
abides and rides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After my semi-endorsement of these tyres, I thought I'd update.

I just tore the sidewalls on two of these tyres in a week. One of them was sliced by a pretty gnarly shard of glass, but I don't even know how the other one went. I just noticed a big bulge where my tube was poking through (that's what she said anyway).

I still think they last very well for skidding on (functional and a bit of flashy skidding... not nutz-to-stem), but their papery thin sidewalls are a joke. I won't be buying any more.
Old 07-05-09, 12:17 PM
mugatu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think they're terrible for skidding, they're not built for it, but I think they're great all about training tires. Hell, I started using them after riding with a friend of mine who's a pro specializing in endurance racing. He put about 4,000 miles on it until there were enough weak spots in it to replace. I'm 2k into my detonators on my road bike with no apparent weaknesses, and no flat spots. The first detonator I ever put on a bike however was on my old fixed gear and I skid the hell out of it. It wore down to the kevlar pretty quick.
Old 07-08-09, 12:17 PM
littlespoon
Bikasaurus Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had that same problem when I was running a detonator on the rear, going through like a tube a week. I never thought it was the tire that was doing it, however after I ran a thin strip of duct tape over the tire strip, the flats stopped happening. The Detonators do wear really well but you may want to spring the $35 for some gatorskins and all your tire problems will be solved. Also, 120 psi is way too high, you will probably be better off with half that
Old 07-08-09, 01:30 PM
psirue
curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
better at 60 psi? nope.
Old 07-08-09, 01:44 PM
jpdesjar

Littlespoon, you are wrong about the PSI.

Old 07-08-09, 03:54 PM
time bandit
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, you're going to pinch flat all over the place at 60psi in a tire rated for 120.
Old 07-09-09, 10:19 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Is this a new bike?

If that's the case, check your rim strips. It's not too uncommon for the rim strips on a new bike to be pushed over to one side of the rim. If the tiniest little arc of spoke hole is left exposed, you'll get frequent flats until you get the spoke hole covered.
Old 07-13-09, 12:09 PM
littlespoon
Bikasaurus Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the exageration
Old 07-13-09, 03:18 PM
jakerock
helmet brake

Bikes: Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by littlespoon
I had that same problem when I was running a detonator on the rear, going through like a tube a week. I never thought it was the tire that was doing it, however after I ran a thin strip of duct tape over the tire strip, the flats stopped happening. The Detonators do wear really well but you may want to spring the $35 for some gatorskins and all your tire problems will be solved. Also, 120 psi is way too high, you will probably be better off with half that
$35 my ass!
Old 07-14-09, 10:38 PM
coolkid_cody

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'v decided that these tires are Garbage and I'll be changing them both out tommorow. I went to hop on my bike today and my brother noticed a bulge in my back tire. So Itook the tire off to examine and on the inside wall the threads are coming apart. I checked my psi before I took the tire off and it was at 110 so there should be no reason for the threads to come apart
Old 07-15-09, 12:50 AM
time bandit
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakerock
$35 my ass!
if you're paying more than 35 a gatorskin, they see you coming.
Old 07-15-09, 02:52 AM
PartyPack

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Custom Reynolds Road Bike, Vivente World Randonneur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got these stock on my Steamroller. Nicest tyre I've ridden, probably because of the lack of Kevlar. About 1000km on them so far with a minimal wear and no flats. I did a few skids on them early on and the back looked like would self-destruct if I kept it up so that is certainly not what they are good for. I'll think I'll just use my brake and continue to watch what I roll over.

I run 120 psi and I'm 60kgs.
Old 07-15-09, 10:57 PM
jakerock
helmet brake

Bikes: Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by time bandit
if you're paying more than 35 a gatorskin, they see you coming.
Show me a link thats NOT PBK. (incl shipping) And I am talking USA dollars there pal, not whatever you use in the commonwealth of Kensington or whatever.
Old 07-15-09, 11:03 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jakerock
Show me a link thats NOT PBK. (incl shipping) And I am talking USA dollars there pal, not whatever you use in the commonwealth of Kensington or whatever.
it is in a commonwealth.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...image&resnum=1

α

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.