Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Observations of a new Sojourn owner

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 07:41 PM
bootskelsey62
Bike nutz for 45+ years

Bikes: Which one?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After much debating I bought a new Raleigh Sojourn. I looked at all the major and minor brands of touring bikes and I felt the Raleigh had the most "bang for the buck" for ME. These are just my opinions on this bike (not in any great order). It may help someone make up their mind on the bike they are looking at. #1, yes it's heavy..but not as heavy as my old Schwinn Sports Tourer. #2, rides damn nice. #3, I do run out of gears on the flats unloaded..no top speeds here, but walks like mountain goat uphills loaded. #4, The disc brakes are VERY nice going down hill..wish I had them on my tandem. #5, The Brooks saddle is just now breaking in..lots of neatsfoot oil and 100+ miles..hope this works out..my tail is sore. #6, The factory rack is a monster..don't think I'll be able to tear this one up. #7, lots of talk about the spoke count on the rear...I'll let you know when or if I tear that up...I'm 235lbs plus my gear...I'm a great test mule. #8, The fit and finish are good. #9, my LBS was willing to order one for me to look at (most won't)#10, It's just a good looking bike.
Old 07-03-09, 07:59 PM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Cool. Thanks. Did you look at Fuji Tourist, Surly LHT or on the lighter side, Aurora Elite, Gunnar, Sam Hilbourne?
Old 07-03-09, 09:29 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pic's or it didn't happen

Sounds like your happy. After a few months and a bunch of miles report back with your impressions down the road.

Many happy trips for you!

Enjoy
Old 07-04-09, 11:58 AM
bootskelsey62
Bike nutz for 45+ years

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the doubters out there here is the picture requested. Yes I did look at the others. I really looked hard at the Surly LHT. The only problem there way my nearest dealer is 150+ miles away. I really like LBS support, no playing phone tag or UPS shuttle. Again, the bike gave ME the most "bang for the buck". I'll post any problems or successes with this bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
july bike 002.jpg (99.7 KB, 364 views)
Old 07-05-09, 05:17 PM
xcapekey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice looking ride! don't go too crazy on the neatsfoot..i've seen a few brooks that were too quickly softened and sagged pretty bad..
Old 07-05-09, 05:54 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good lookin bike! Thanks for sharing a pic. Many happy miles to you!
Old 07-05-09, 06:39 PM
jmio

Bikes: raleigh carbon competition, trek 6500 hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they are on sale for 999 at REI, hmmmm I still haven't made up my mind on which touring bike I want! So many choices!
Old 07-05-09, 06:40 PM
jmio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ooops, i mean $999.93
Old 07-06-09, 06:20 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
neatsfoot

Originally Posted by xcapekey
nice looking ride! don't go too crazy on the neatsfoot..i've seen a few brooks that were too quickly softened and sagged pretty bad..
I think it comes with the pre-softened version of a B17. My Raleigh Oneway did and it needs no treatment for break-in. Might be a good idea for preservation.

Last edited by sherbornpeddler; 07-06-09 at 06:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-07-09, 06:58 PM
Dahon.Steve

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bootskelsey62
After much debating I bought a new Raleigh Sojourn. I looked at all the major and minor brands of touring bikes and I felt the Raleigh had the most "bang for the buck" for ME.
The Sojourn is one of the nicer touring bikes out there and certainly better looking than most. This bike has been torn apart on these forums for everything from being too heavy, poor Brooks saddle choice, terrible brake selection, horrible fenders, rack, tires, frame etc, etc!

However, I want you to continue to keep this thread alive because we all need to know about the miles of trouble free riding this bike provides. In particular, I want to know how the OEM disk brakes hold up and the rear wheel too. You have the touring bike of my dreams so don't forget about updates.

OH, the comment about this bike walking like a "mountain goat" fully loaded was interesting! We've been hearing all along how it was too high geared, now we know different.
Old 07-07-09, 08:53 PM
tacomee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I've serviced several Sojourns with over a 1000 miles on them, and the bike seems to be holding up well. The drive train is great, the Avid brakes are great. The 32 spoke wheels, with those *Freedom* brand rims, seem to be holding up OK for just riding around. I'd get some better wheels for loaded touring, but then every stock touring bike needs $100 plus upgrades.

It's a great bike.
Old 07-08-09, 06:40 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Liked 787 Times in 580 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
The Sojourn is one of the nicer touring bikes out there and certainly better looking than most.
Lots of people are happy with the Sojourn and that is fine. OTOH, I think that to call it a touring bike is a bit of a stretch though. Raleigh doesn't mention the word touring anywhere in their literature for this bike and I think that is because it is not designed as a dedicated touring bike. I don't think that they would have put 32 spoke wheels on it if it were supposed to be a dedicated tourer.

OH, the comment about this bike walking like a "mountain goat" fully loaded was interesting! We've been hearing all along how it was too high geared, now we know different.
I would say that if you will be touring where there will be much steep climbing that something smaller than a 30T is a very good idea. That is not a huge problem to rectify and is the case for many touring bikes though.
Old 07-08-09, 12:12 PM
Booger1

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
When your destination is ‘nowhere in particular’.When your direction is ‘that way’.When you expect to get there ‘when I get there’. The only certainty is the road ahead of you, the sky over your head, and the Sojourn carrying you there

The above wording is right from their website.If that isn't wording for a touring bike,than I don't know what is!

That's a great touring bike for the money,good looking too.I don't like 32 spokes on the rear but I would ride it until it failed,then build something stronger.Great bike.
Old 07-08-09, 12:41 PM
jmio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hahah, I was gonna quote that too, but I knew I didn't have to, you beat me to it.
Old 07-08-09, 12:43 PM
jmio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is unless your a street person and your job willl take you nowhere in particular, or you will get to your corner when you get there, I guess that means the sojourn was meant to be a 'commuter' a homeless commuter! lol
Old 07-09-09, 04:46 PM
bootskelsey62
Bike nutz for 45+ years

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Small update...I have yet to do a multi-day tour, but I load my bags & rack with approx 25 lbs of crap for my day rides of approx 20 miles. I live in SW Indiana where there is no lack of hills. I have yet to need any lower gear that what it has. This is not to say if I ride in the Smokies I won't be cussing like a sailor! Hope this helps.....

Last edited by bootskelsey62; 07-09-09 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-10-09, 04:56 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Liked 787 Times in 580 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
When your destination is ‘nowhere in particular’.When your direction is ‘that way’.When you expect to get there ‘when I get there’. The only certainty is the road ahead of you, the sky over your head, and the Sojourn carrying you there

The above wording is right from their website.If that isn't wording for a touring bike,than I don't know what is!
That would seem to me to indicate that you indeed don't know what is.

To me it looks like a hybrid with some fancy dodads attached. Kind of a pig with lipstick so to speak. That said you certainly can tour on it and if YOU like it that is all that matters. I still maintain that it was not designed as a touring bike.
Old 07-12-09, 05:26 AM
Lopton

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Venture 3.0, 2009 Raleigh Sojourn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just shy of 500 miles on our Sojourn's and they are working great with no issues at all.

-Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sojurn.jpg (99.1 KB, 142 views)
Old 07-12-09, 10:13 AM
jmio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be careful, 32 spokes on an uncategorized bike will xplode leaving you dead and lifeless on the side of the road, better pull of and immediately end your journey asap and get a bike that has "touring" in its description! I'm kidding people!!!!!!

all kidding aside, I think the raleigh is an awesome looking bike and seems to be holding up everywhere people report on them, good luck with your journey and be safe.
Old 07-12-09, 12:24 PM
pmseattle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wheels are not suitable for loaded touring. Also, the fork should have had an extra set of eyelets on the dropouts for mounting a front rack. And the cassette should be 11-34 or 12-34, which is easy to change although it may need a new derailleur for the wider range such as the heavy but durable Deore. Perhaps Raleigh will tweak their design in the future to make it more suitable as a tourer.
Old 07-12-09, 02:18 PM
Lopton

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Venture 3.0, 2009 Raleigh Sojourn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pmseattle
The wheels are not suitable for loaded touring. Also, the fork should have had an extra set of eyelets on the dropouts for mounting a front rack. And the cassette should be 11-34 or 12-34, which is easy to change although it may need a new derailleur for the wider range such as the heavy but durable Deore. Perhaps Raleigh will tweak their design in the future to make it more suitable as a tourer.
The front fork has eyelets for mounting a rack, as you can see by looking at my picture. The rear cassette is 11-34, and finally the rear derailleur is a Deore... So perhaps you should look at the specs before you ask for these things it all ready has...

https://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road...rn/?page=specs

I did choose to swap out the smallest gear from a 30 to a 26 and it works fantastic

-Matt
Old 07-12-09, 02:45 PM
bootskelsey62
Bike nutz for 45+ years

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Matt, what brand of front rack are you using? Any problems mounting? I'm still recovering from the original cash out-lay and almost ready to buy. Thanks, Boots...
Old 07-12-09, 02:49 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lopton
The front fork has eyelets for mounting a rack, as you can see by looking at my picture. The rear cassette is 11-34, and finally the rear derailleur is a Deore... So perhaps you should look at the specs before you ask for these things it all ready has...

https://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road...rn/?page=specs

I did choose to swap out the smallest gear from a 30 to a 26 and it works fantastic

-Matt
Glad to see your enjoying the new ride. The 26 is a nice choice. I have climbed a ton of mountain passes with a 26/32 and never felt I needed lower. Some do like lower....... Some like brooks... some don't.... Some like disc and some don't.

Thank god we have choices in life.

Now to get that first weekend tour under your belt!
Old 07-12-09, 09:58 PM
tacomee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Sojourn has a great rear rack stock and it's easy to fit a front one. I haven't had any trouble with with toe or heal clip with any bike I've worked with. It's a great touring bike. As far as the wheels go..... I think they could be stronger, but they seem to hold up ok. I can think of several touring bikes with 36 spoke wheels that don't hold up well as the Sojourn's wheels.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-LX-Mavic...3A1%7C294%3A30

Funny how some people think nothing of buying a Surly LHT (a bike I really like) and then paying $200 or so to replace the worthless stock saddle, but can't see spending the same amount of cash for a better wheel set for the Sojourn.
Old 07-12-09, 11:22 PM
Agentbolt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tacomee
The Sojourn has a great rear rack stock and it's easy to fit a front one. I haven't had any trouble with with toe or heal clip with any bike I've worked with. It's a great touring bike. As far as the wheels go..... I think they could be stronger, but they seem to hold up ok. I can think of several touring bikes with 36 spoke wheels that don't hold up well as the Sojourn's wheels.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-LX-Mavic...3A1%7C294%3A30

Funny how some people think nothing of buying a Surly LHT (a bike I really like) and then paying $200 or so to replace the worthless stock saddle, but can't see spending the same amount of cash for a better wheel set for the Sojourn.
oops.

Last edited by Agentbolt; 07-12-09 at 11:24 PM. Reason: reading comprehension failure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.