Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

"I'm Not Your Workhorse!!!"

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 09:48 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NOTE: If the crybaby in this story is one of our forum buddies, I apologize in advance.

My buddy just emailed this to me; happened to him on his way in this morning. The speeds we are talking about were in the 25mph range for the first section and 30 mph range for the 2nd section. Even though my buddy may have been in the wrong (debatable), his run in with this whiney little pus is pretty funny!

Part of what makes this funny is that my buddy wears more traditional commuting gear and does not always look as fast as he his. Baggy shorts, big old green school type backpack...the whole works. But if you are going to to talk smack to him, you had better be able to hang at 30 mph for a while. LOL

Hey guys… I’ve got a good story…

I had a nice little experience with a cycling snob this morning. I was going down Ustic and pulled up to the light at Eagle. There were a couple riders there. They weren’t riding together they just both got stopped at the light. One guy was a commuter with flat handlebars. The other guy was all decked out with nice gear and had a nice specialized bike. The guy with all the nice stuff was talking to the other guy like a know-it-all.

Anyway the light changes and we take off, the commuter guy gets left behind so I got onto the wheel of Mr. Know-It-All. He speeds up a bit in an effort to drop me. He doesn’t drop me looks back and says “Hey! Are you trying to draft me!”

In my head I’m thinking I’m not trying to draft you I am drafting you. Then he says “I’m not your workhorse! I’ll draft you!!”

So then I preceded to change him from my workhorse into my little beeach and I dropped his sorry but.

Last edited by Sawtooth; 07-15-09 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-15-09, 10:08 AM
rando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what a tool!

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 07-15-09, 10:09 AM
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter

Bikes: Trek Soho S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ouch...
You don't need to dress up like a spandex super hero to ride your bike.
Old 07-15-09, 10:22 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,116 Times in 1,527 Posts
I think being a domestique for other commuters is an underrated and under appreciated role.
Old 07-15-09, 10:23 AM
novacommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brings a smile to my face and warms my heart.
Old 07-15-09, 10:23 AM
jefferee
Que CERA, CERA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't draft complete strangers I happen to meet on the road, and I don't like pulling them, either. My commute has enough stop signs and lights to make drafting more trouble than it would be worth, anyway.

Funny story, though.
Old 07-15-09, 10:27 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rando
what a tool!
Which one?
Old 07-15-09, 10:30 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
A complete lack of manners all around.

I'm finding riders who will share the pull on almost every ride.

If the rider passes me, I'll ask if he wants to share the pull. If he says yes, I'll trade the lead with him every mile. After about 4 miles, I'll thank the guy and fall back.

If I pass a rider and he expects a pull, I'll tell hem to lead after 2 miles. If he just sits there, I'll slow and require him to lead or I'll just pull ahead. Often the wheel sucker can be trained to work as a team-mate.

The key is communication.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-15-09, 10:36 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
A complete lack of manners all around.

I'm finding riders who will share the pull on almost every ride.

If the rider passes me, I'll ask if he wants to share the pull. If he says yes, I'll trade the lead with him every mile. After about 4 miles, I'll thank the guy and fall back.

If I pass a rider and he expects a pull, I'll tell hem to lead after 2 miles. If he just sits there, I'll slow and require him to lead or I'll just pull ahead. Often the wheel sucker can be trained to work as a team-mate.

The key is communication.

Michael
Agreed...this is a great way to handle it. I have never had an issue but I usually announce my presence and suggest that we share work. In fact, I met one of my best riding buddies this way.
Old 07-15-09, 10:41 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I think being a domestique for other commuters is an underrated and under appreciated role.
LOL, yep, I don't mind pulling but if they ask me to go get them some water I have my limits.

I have never understood why people have a problem pulling strangers. It is actually pretty hard to take out someone's rear wheel with your front. Usually the guy drafting goes down and the one up front just gets a startling experience. And even that is in the rare chance of an adverse event.

In fact, I often make a "follow me" sign when I pass guys I think are capable of benefitting from my draft". No skin off my back.

Last edited by Sawtooth; 07-15-09 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-15-09, 10:49 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JeffS
Which one?
+1 both of them are jackasses.
Old 07-15-09, 10:58 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by modernjess
+1 both of them are jackasses.
I think you mean "behaved like jackasses". The crybaby is probably a nice guy and I know my buddy is a nice guy.
Old 07-15-09, 11:02 AM
novacommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who gives a flying flip at a rolling donut if someone drafts them on a commute anyway?

I make the assumption that you're out to have a good ride and maybe get some exercise in. Does anyone really care if the guy behind you is doing less work? There's no danged finish line, no prize for getting to work sooner than the other dude (who's likely not going the same place). Team tactics don't apply on any normal commute.

That said, I don't suck wheel on my commutes, simply because I'm a raging fattie and need the extra 30% of work one puts in when not in a draft.
Old 07-15-09, 11:07 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your friend can hang at 30mph and he is not going down hill then he should be racing not commuting.

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-15-09, 11:08 AM
Tigerprawn
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LOL... Hilarious and I agree bad manners and lack of courtesy all around.

It's not like the guy drafting is hurting the puller... HOWEVER, if I didn't feel comfortable with the guy behind me for safety reasons I would ask him to back off. How do I know this guy knows what he is doing and isn't going to run into me if I slow down or need to stop or touch my wheel?

Touching the wheel I probably wouldn't fall, but he would... And I would probably stop my commute to help. It's all troublesome.
Old 07-15-09, 11:18 AM
novacommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
If your friend can hang at 30mph and he is not going down hill then he should be racing not commuting.
What if he commutes to his job on the weekdays and goes out on the weekends and wins in Cat2?
Old 07-15-09, 11:20 AM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Drafting seems to be a touchy subject with a lot of people, personally I don't care although in most cases, a quick "may I" is always appreciated.

If someone is particularly obnoxious however, generally I'll slow enough to let them pass and as soon as they are 40-50 feet up the road, I'll match their speed. Invariably they try to speed up until they drop you. If they do; good on them. If they don't; most people will blow themselves up trying, at which point you drop the hammer and smile. I always manage my 40-50 foot buffer since as many people have said, you really don't know anything about one's riding ability or how much brain they use while riding. I prefer to not get sucked into someone else's bad judgement. A buffer zone allows you to make your own decisions, and lets the other person know that you don't need a draft to keep up the pace.
Old 07-15-09, 11:22 AM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Since drafting etiquette isn't universal outside of roadie culture it's rude in my opinion to assume that it's OK to draft random people without asking. That you yourself wouldn't mind being drafted is beside the point.

It's probably not that smart either. I know somebody who got her self severely messed up by running into the rear tire of another cyclist. All it takes for trouble is for an inexperienced draftee to hit the brakes hard without warning or signaling.

I do the occasional group ride with a low key cycling club. The leader always encourages new people to try drafting but he also stresses that in order for the group to draft successfully and safely it's important for everyone to ride as smoothly as possible. No quick stops. Hold your line in turns. etc.

Also if you're following right behind somebody, your visibility is limited. In a group ride signals are used to compensate for this. So even if somebody is OK being drafted and is experienced in those situations it is a good idea to let them know you are there so they can warn you of upcoming road hazards or changes in pace.
Old 07-15-09, 11:26 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by novacommuter
What if he commutes to his job on the weekdays and goes out on the weekends and wins in Cat2?
Nope..but he probably could. He regularly hands it to me at speeds near or at 30. The real question is not how fast someone can ride, but how logn they can ride at that speed.
Old 07-15-09, 11:28 AM
bizzz111

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a bike that pretty much guarantees that anyone who would want to draft off of me wouldn't.

Of course, seeing a roadie drafting behind a 60lb xtracycle would be a sight to behold. Now I just gotta figure out how to get this thing to go fast enough so roadies would want to draft off of me.
Old 07-15-09, 11:34 AM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome...just awesome.

Originally Posted by bizzz111
I ride a bike that pretty much guarantees that anyone who would want to draft off of me wouldn't.

Of course, seeing a roadie drafting behind a 60lb xtracycle would be a sight to behold. Now I just gotta figure out how to get this thing to go fast enough so roadies would want to draft off of me.
Skinnier tires and a lot of dedication. I had this happen just the other day!
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 07-15-09, 11:50 AM
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter

Bikes: Trek Soho S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bizzz111

Actually, the freeloaders would easily conceal a rear-wheel electric system.
You don't need to dress up like a spandex super hero to ride your bike.
Old 07-15-09, 12:12 PM
dwr1961

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Since drafting etiquette isn't universal outside of roadie culture it's rude in my opinion to assume that it's OK to draft random people without asking. That you yourself wouldn't mind being drafted is beside the point.

It's probably not that smart either. I know somebody who got her self severely messed up by running into the rear tire of another cyclist. All it takes for trouble is for an inexperienced draftee to hit the brakes hard without warning or signaling.

I do the occasional group ride with a low key cycling club. The leader always encourages new people to try drafting but he also stresses that in order for the group to draft successfully and safely it's important for everyone to ride as smoothly as possible. No quick stops. Hold your line in turns. etc.

Also if you're following right behind somebody, your visibility is limited. In a group ride signals are used to compensate for this. So even if somebody is OK being drafted and is experienced in those situations it is a good idea to let them know you are there so they can warn you of upcoming road hazards or changes in pace.
I agree wholeheartedly... Any time you're inches away from someone, there's an implicit amount of faith and trust that comes into play. With a stranger you never really know if those are misplaced.

In our current situation, Sawtooth's buddy was a bit put-off by Mr. Roadie's air of superiority and wanted to do a little passive/aggressive chain-pulling. It worked to the point that he could e-mail mail his friends and gloat about it.

Yes, he gave in to the dark side... And I doubt that Mr. R actually was humbled by getting dropped (those guys rarely are). In the end we have no winners here. But the discussion of road etiquette was worth the tale.
Old 07-15-09, 12:13 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The one time I let someone draft off me, he nearly crashed me out when he overlapped my rear wheel then decided it was a good time to change directions.

never again.
Old 07-15-09, 12:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Mutual jackassery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.