Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Quechee Vermont - Road or Mountain?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 06:40 PM
bikeybikebike
Economists do it w/models

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

WHatup NE US!

I'll be in quechee in august for a wedding, although i'm anticipating a decent amount of free time. Anyone have any experience riding here? Road or Mountain? Any decent routes or hotspots?

TIA
Old 07-23-09, 09:49 PM
Rolling15
Ontheroad

Bikes: Felt Z2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Great place to ride

Just came back from riding in Vermont. I don't know about mountain biking but the road biking is fantastic. There are lots of great road rides listed on the internet. Lots of big climbs, long descents, and great vistas.
Old 07-23-09, 09:54 PM
professorbob

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Both are just about as good as it gets!
Old 07-23-09, 10:54 PM
fordmanvt
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Bikes: 2008 Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road biking you can't go wrong. all the major routes near there are good riding.
Old 07-24-09, 03:49 PM
Lightingguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road Bike !

Some of the best of New England is in Vermont.

West of Queechee on Rt 4, you come to Rt 12 South, which is good down to the Conn. Rvr. valley and Rt 5, which is a good road.

Rt 12 north out of Woodstock is excellent, as is Rt 106 south.

One good 40-45m is Rt 12 south to Rt 5 south to Rt 44 west to Rt 106 north to Rt 4 east. Bring 'da hill gears !. Or do it in reverse.

Another good loop, 50m or so, is west on Rt4 to Rt 106 south, then Tyson Road/Kingdom Rd west (paved all the way) to Rt 100 North, then Rt 100A east at Plymouth Corners to Rt 4, then 4 back to Woodstock. Bring the hill gears AND oxygen for the Tyson/Kingdom Road, as well as the walking shoes for "Heartbreak Hill", which is the first 1/2 mile up Rt 100A to the Calvin Coolidge homestead, then a screaming down hill to Rt 4.

In general, Rt 4 is busier then the side state routes. It's hit and miss off the state routes (106/12, etc...) as to what turns to dirt somewhere.

Steve B.
Old 07-24-09, 05:16 PM
danacf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out https://www.vermontbikerides.net, developed by the cycling friendly owners of the October Country Inn in nearby Bridgewater Corners, which by the way is a great place to stay.
Old 07-24-09, 05:49 PM
bikeybikebike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great suggestions guys! I take it the traffic in the area is friendly to Road bikers?

What would you guys consider the "Big ascent" in and around Queechee?
Old 07-25-09, 09:11 AM
danacf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vermont motorists are a cut above in the courtesy toward cyclists department. I recall only one "get of the road" incident in all the miles I've ridden there. If you're looking for a challenge there's always Mt. Ascutney near Windsor. I haven't done it, but there is a "hill climb" event there every year. The course description on their website reads "ascend 2300 feet in 3.7 miles on an entirely paved course. Average grade is 12%, some sections are in excess of 19%."
Old 07-25-09, 01:46 PM
Lightingguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeybikebike
Great suggestions guys! I take it the traffic in the area is friendly to Road bikers?
?
Yes, the drivers are tolerant of roadies, which is odd given there are so many NYC transplants. Vermont, for whatever reason, does not put a lot of money into building wide shoulders, unlike many area's I've seen in upstate NY (Adirondaks, Finger Lakes), where you find very good pavement and wide shoulders. Still, the folks in VT. are friendly to cyclists and there's a country store at nearly every intersection, which you don't find as much of in NY.

SB
Old 07-26-09, 06:04 AM
harpoonalt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lot's of road stuff. MB stuff like Killington is only a few miles away. Pine Hill Park in rutland is a Mountain Bikers paradise, maybe 20 minutes from you. Lot's of great trails maintained by bike guys and plenty of scenic views and it's all free. You could spend all day there. If it sounds good, I can give directions!
Old 07-27-09, 05:53 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Liked 2,341 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeybikebike

What would you guys consider the "Big ascent" in and around Queechee?
Basically, heading towards the Connecticut River will take you down and then you can pedal back up to Quechee. I just created this route for you which should provide some climbing. I hope you have a great time. There can be a great deal of "Summer People" in Quechee this time of year, so lots of cars from out of state who might not be as bike friendly.

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...sville-Quechee

One thing I've noticed riding in Vermont that I rarely see across the river in NH is broken glass. I don't know why. My primary ride there is along Rt. 4 from Bridgewater Corners up into Killington and back. I see a great deal of glass on this route. The shoulder is fairly wide most of the way. Depending on the time available, you can go as far as you like then turn around and com back down.

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...on-Base-Lodges

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-27-09, 10:00 AM
Lightingguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh

One thing I've noticed riding in Vermont that I rarely see across the river in NH is broken glass. I don't know why. My primary ride there is along Rt. 4 from Bridgewater Corners up into Killington and back. I see a great deal of glass on this route. ]
Possibly the proximity to the Long Trail Brewery ?. I tend to think not, but could be the 17 yr. old male-in-the-pickup-hot-summer-night syndrome.

SB
Old 07-27-09, 12:23 PM
bikeybikebike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by harpoonalt
Lot's of road stuff. MB stuff like Killington is only a few miles away. Pine Hill Park in rutland is a Mountain Bikers paradise, maybe 20 minutes from you. Lot's of great trails maintained by bike guys and plenty of scenic views and it's all free. You could spend all day there. If it sounds good, I can give directions!

I'm not much of a mountainbiker. I'm enthusiastic, but inexperienced. I tend not to ride MTB alone, for fear of smashing my head on a log or otherwise. Are the rides more technical> I'd be looking for some slow climbs, or some rollers. I'm not great at hopping roots or doing drops or anything like that...

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Basically, heading towards the Connecticut River will take you down and then you can pedal back up to Quechee. I just created this route for you which should provide some climbing. I hope you have a great time. There can be a great deal of "Summer People" in Quechee this time of year, so lots of cars from out of state who might not be as bike friendly.

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...sville-Quechee

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...on-Base-Lodges
Much appreciated PB! I would imagine the "Summer People" would still be friendly to cyclists, as many of them may be as well. Even if they're not, what's the rush? you're on vacation...

Last edited by bikeybikebike; 07-27-09 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 08:53 PM
marvelous

Bikes: austro daimler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lakes Region VT

I am not from your designated area of Vermont exactly, however I live just a little ways to the west of Quechee. There is some good mtb trails in Randolph a little ways north of you. You could buy a Lake Champlain bikeways map they cost $5.95; go to www.champlainbikeways.com, there are all sorts of guides on that website. I've just looked in my Falcon Guide: Road Biking in Northern New England. It has a route out of Quechee; it's 25.6 miles. You should buy this book it's less than $20