Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Crown Race Replacement?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 05:32 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked 2,256 Times in 1,126 Posts

Can just the crown race be purchased for a 1" steerer? It is for my 83 Colnago. If not, was there a difference in the crown races used between head sets? I would think the NR and SR would use the same and maybe other, new head sets.

I am stripping it down and found the crown race was broken. I suppose it would work if the crack is located toward the rear, but I am thinking it should be replaced. I did not feel the crack prior to dismantling when rotating the fork.
Old 08-10-09, 06:00 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 3,081 Times in 1,568 Posts
well if it is apart and broke I would fix it. I think the only difference between NR and SR was alloy cups and nuts (but still steel races). you may find a Miche, Ofmega or Gipemme will fit too alot of those were copies of early campy.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-10-09, 06:59 PM
gr23932
Si se Puede!!!....Ahuevo!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a stack of varies HS parts that I'll check to see if any might work if you'll interested.
Old 08-10-09, 08:10 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3618 Post(s)
Liked 3,458 Times in 1,963 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
well if it is apart and broke I would fix it. I think the only difference between NR and SR was alloy cups and nuts (but still steel races).
No, the alloy cups on the SR headset needed to be thicker than the steel NR cups. In order to keep the stack height reasonably close, the SR crown race was made thinner than the NR race (SR on the left; NR on the right):

You *could* use an NR crown race with an SR headset if your steer tube was long enough and you didn't mind the extra metal hanging out, but not vice-versa.
Old 08-10-09, 09:49 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Know someone with a mill or maybe a lathe? A good machinist could make a copy (have to use a hard alloy, though). If you have one made, you may as well have 50 made and sell 48 on eBay, because it is a common problem. (the 49th? send it to me, for the idea!)
Old 08-10-09, 11:23 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

JohnDThompson: Good info of SR vs. NR. Using the NR would decrease the number opf thread engagement with the locking nut. What is the difference in stack height? The NR looks harder to break from interferance fit.

When I measured the difference in ID of the race and the OD of the fork, there was as much as .005 difference. I guess the paint build up added to the OD and caused the failure on installation. Once cleaned up it was closer to the .002 interference number.

gr23932: The ID is 26.40 mm. The OAHeight is 7.73 mm and the bearings are the standard Campy 4.76 mm.

Luker, I do know a great machinest who is very reasonable. What do you think a good price would be? I could reverse engineer the dimensions and sell them too!
Old 08-10-09, 11:29 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Most people just bought a Tange Levin. Same headset, in effect. Every bit as good as the old Campy, just cost 1/3rd as much and didn't say 'Campagnolo.' Still in production. Hunt around. I've seen them offered for as little as $20.00
Old 08-11-09, 10:17 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by SJX426
JohnDThompson: Good info of SR vs. NR. Using the NR would decrease the number opf thread engagement with the locking nut. What is the difference in stack height? The NR looks harder to break from interferance fit.

When I measured the difference in ID of the race and the OD of the fork, there was as much as .005 difference. I guess the paint build up added to the OD and caused the failure on installation. Once cleaned up it was closer to the .002 interference number.

gr23932: The ID is 26.40 mm. The OAHeight is 7.73 mm and the bearings are the standard Campy 4.76 mm.

Luker, I do know a great machinest who is very reasonable. What do you think a good price would be? I could reverse engineer the dimensions and sell them too!
The stack height of SR and NR are actually the same. The SR's aluminum cups are thicker than the NR's steel cups, so the crown race was made thinner on the SR to keep the total height the same.

Yes, the NR crown race is quite resistant to cracking vis-a-vis the SR. At Trek we broke dozens, maybe hundreds of SR crown races installing them on forks. I can't recall ever breaking an NR race, though.

Re: machining a new race -- this could be done, but it will need to be hardened as well or it will wear out in short order.
Old 08-11-09, 10:23 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Panthers007
Most people just bought a Tange Levin. Same headset, in effect. Every bit as good as the old Campy, just cost 1/3rd as much and didn't say 'Campagnolo.' Still in production. Hunt around. I've seen them offered for as little as $20.00
The "Levin" is a great headset, but it's more like the Campy "Pista" headset than the "Strata." It uses smaller balls (5/32" vs 3/16" in the Campy Strata) so it is marginally less durable than the Campy Strata, and the stack height is a few mm less than the Strata.
Old 08-11-09, 10:26 AM
scbvideoboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luker
Know someone with a mill or maybe a lathe? A good machinist could make a copy (have to use a hard alloy, though). If you have one made, you may as well have 50 made and sell 48 on eBay, because it is a common problem. (the 49th? send it to me, for the idea!)
The cost of machining this by a local shop would be so high, it would be less expensive to buy a NOS SR/NR headset
Old 08-11-09, 11:12 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3471 Post(s)
Liked 2,845 Times in 2,006 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

Re: machining a new race -- this could be done, but it will need to be hardened as well or it will wear out in short order.
Indeed, actually to make it work, you would have to use stainless steel or you will need to chrome it. Stainless is not a great bearing material. The bearing surface is ground, not a machined finish, done after heat treatment and chroming on the original.

When set up for production, the cost drops, in even "reasonable" batches the cost climbs fast. If Velo Orange was interested, they could probably have someone make up some that would be at a final reasonable cost, Going to be hard to get it below $15. to $20. which is outrageous but not.

For steerer size, Campagnolo has a Passa/no passa tool. Too big, and it will crack a crown race in no time.
Old 08-11-09, 02:08 PM
SJX426 

My thoughts were to just replace the SR crown race with an NR crown race. The stack height would only change based on the difference between the two parts.

My machinest only charges $25/hour. The secondary costs would be of concern and there would not be significant reduction in batch without using a full CNC set up. Sounds like an opportunity for a good Chinese sourced product!

Good to know the difference in the Levin. It was tempting until you pointed out the diff.

So where did Trek get the replacement crown races they broke? Robbed full HS sets? Was the solutions so cost effective that corrective action was not required?

I haven't seen any opportunities to purchase just the crown race. Hence my initial thought of buying a used NR HS and just using the CR.
Old 08-11-09, 02:16 PM
repechage

So where did Trek get the replacement crown races they broke? Robbed full HS sets? Was the solutions so cost effective that corrective action was not required?

I haven't seen any opportunities to purchase just the crown race. Hence my initial thought of buying a used NR HS and just using the CR.
Way back Campagnolo sold to distributors and OEM's replacement parts, at the shop we could order just the crown race or any other numbered part from a stocking distributor, not all inventoried the small parts. I would love to know where the inventory of say, Apollo TBS Distributors went, they had everything. Even the shop I worked for, long since sold, but even a year after it changed hands, no one working there had any idea what I was talking about when I mentioned "The Campy Drawers"
Old 08-11-09, 03:07 PM
scbvideoboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some collector has them stashed away I bet.
Old 08-11-09, 03:08 PM
scbvideoboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't you have to worry about the "indents" on a used CR?
Old 08-11-09, 03:26 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by scbvideoboy
Don't you have to worry about the "indents" on a used CR?
Yes, but its better than nothing. Index steering.
Old 08-12-09, 07:18 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

At the time, Trek was the largest importer of Campagnolo parts in North America. Getting replacements wasn't a problem.
Old 08-12-09, 09:24 AM
SJX426 

Indents? Worst case, I can use the same CR. I cannot feel the crack with my finger nail, so I really think it would be low risk for reuse. As stated, I think it broke on installation. I did not detect any "index" steering prior to disassembly.
Old 01-15-13, 06:56 PM
geezerwheels

Bikes: +/-2000 Alp d'Huez (Dura Ace/Ultegra) Alloy Synapse disc (Ultegra), '84 de Rosa Eddie Merckx Super Prestige (Modified with 10sp Record mechs), Carbon Synapse disc (SRAM Red), '80-something Trek 540 (7sp AccuShift), Serotta Fierte (Ultegra)

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<At Trek we broke dozens, maybe hundreds of SR crown races installing them on forks>
did the Trek folks ever try heating the races before installing them? not enough to ruin the temper, just enough to get them to expand a few thousandths...we used to heat aluminum cases to set bearings, or crank throws to fit bosses, when I worked on BMW motorcycles...
Old 01-15-13, 08:52 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I probably have a NR I could send you. Drop me a message.
Old 01-15-13, 08:58 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Holy cow. This thread was from 09. Did you ever get your crown race repaired, SJX426? Hope so.

(I happen to need a NR crown race, Dbakl. Can I drop you a PM if the OP doesn't? )
Old 01-15-13, 09:34 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Holy cow. This thread was from 09. Did you ever get your crown race repaired, SJX426? Hope so.

(I happen to need a NR crown race, Dbakl. Can I drop you a PM if the OP doesn't? )
I'll look tomorrow...
Old 01-15-13, 09:39 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Thanks Dbakl. Not an emergency or anything, but, if you happen to...
Old 01-15-13, 09:43 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
new aftermarket crown races are pretty inexpensive in my experience. i would invest in one and see if it works. i would just make sure that i got one with the correct inside diameter. of course this assumes that originality is not an overriding factor.
Old 01-15-13, 09:58 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Ok, making a new one could be done,
have to grind and polish the race....and then harden it, thats easy, which would mean it is a good quality steel,
but then it would rust.
i know a forum member that could do it but it is up to them to step forward,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.