Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need an anti pick lock!!!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 07:30 PM
kotapaka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello fellas. I live in the UK and I own an Abus plus which is the one with the hardened water-proof disk padlock and comparatively thick chain. Where I leave my bike there is comparatively little danger (I used to leave my bike unlocked and I still have it). However my old bike was sh1tty and I bought a new $1000 bike and I don't want some crackhead to steal it. As I said I've got the Abus but I saw a video on YouTube where they open it for like 30 seconds. Mine is not exactly the same. It has a different key - it's not like a door key, it's more like a car key like the key in THIS Most thieves here try and pick the lock and not cut through the chain etc. So I need a really anti-pick padlock. I was thinking of this one. It is a motorbike lock:

https://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?Scree...4003318201820m

Where I will just buy the padlock and use my current chain with 2 padlocks . It will run me another 120-140$ but what can I do. Here is a padlock similar in looks to mine. In the documentation of my lock it says that it is anti-pick. As I said mine has a different locking system because of the different key:

Anyway I don't know what to do. The lock says it is anti-pick but I feel insecure like a woman. lol.
Old 08-10-09, 08:37 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take your lock to a locksmith and see what he has to say about it's security. Not sure I believe many youtube videos which seem to be designed to make us all paranoid. Too easy to fake many of them.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 08-11-09, 06:59 AM
underdonk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about how susceptible the lock is to being picked as long as you're using a high-quality well built lock. That is likely the most difficult and time consuming method that a thief can use to compromise your locking system (locks, chains, and anything else you use to secure your bike). This is typically the last thing that a thief will attempt when doing a bike grab. It's akin to worrying about how good the locks are on the doors on your home, when the door is next to those two big windows in the front of your house.
Old 08-11-09, 08:24 AM
crawdaddio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you really want high 'pick' and 'bump' resistance, use something like a MULTI-LOCK or MEDECO product.
I have been a locksmith for a long time, and these locks are worth every penny if you can afford them and really want high security.

Buy one from a local locksmith if at all possible.
Pair one of these with a heavy duty, hardened steel hex chain.

https://www.mul-t-lock-online.com/ese...acturers_id=10

https://www.medeco.com/products/produ...ategory_ID=27&

And a long thread on bike locks:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=520597
Old 08-11-09, 10:48 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
crawdaddio,
Since you mention 'bump' resistance... I'm familiar with the principle behind the lock bump: Jostle the pin stacks coupled with some light rotational pressure and you'll catch them all at an "open" position on their return. With a dual sided key (like the ABUS) which appears to move twin sets of tumblers at 180 degrees from each other, would a bump actually work (since you're only jostling one set of pins in the right direction when you do it)?
Old 08-11-09, 11:28 AM
crawdaddio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Abus has many types of keyways, so I'm not sure which one you are referring to.

If someone has access to manufacturer specific key blanks and cutting machines, they can make 'bump' keys and use them successfully (if they have the skill) on 'almost' any type of lock out there.

Restricted key blanks (and machines to cut them), such as the ones that the above linked locks use, are impossible for anyone except locksmiths to purchase. This is one way that 'bumping' is prevented.
Old 08-11-09, 12:25 PM
SoonerBent
<><

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're talking about the same youtube video I've seen recently using a pop can don't worry. Notice that they use a really cheap combination lock. This is because that's the only grade of lock that this method will work on. Good grade locks cannot be opened that way.