Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A question of Suntour freewheel longevity

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 04:57 PM
Kinetikx
Eater of carbs

Bikes: 1989 Trek 330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After about 7000 miles I've finally worn out the 20 tooth cog of the Suntour Pro Compe on my Miyata 610*. In trying to keep the bike fairly original I've been shopping around for a replacement. What I've found is that I can buy a Suntour Winner (New Winner and Winner Pro as well) for not much more money than a Pro Compe, and I really like the ability to change out the cogs.

Here is the question nagging my mind though- If I'm not mistaken the Winner cogs were made of an aluminum alloy correct? Since I've never owned an aluminum cluster before I'm not sure how well they would handle the daily vigorous workout I would give it. Hell, I've broken about 7 teeth off of the steel freewheel (which I blame on the bad roads, but I could just be one hell of a masher ). Would the ability to change out the cogs as I wear them down be practical enough (assuming the supply doesn't dry up) or should I just stick with the Pro Compe and replace the entire unit as necessary?

*The 610 had many more miles before I owned it, and from the story I've heard it even did a cross country tour. So in theory this particular freewheel has quite a few more miles than what I've put it through.
Old 08-12-09, 05:26 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Liked 767 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinetikx
If I'm not mistaken the Winner cogs were made of an aluminum alloy correct?
Actually, the Suntour Winner cogs were available both in aluminum alloy and steel. Steel was more common. However, only the inner splined cogs are interchangeable with Pro Comp. Some New Winner threaded cogs can be used on the outer smaller stage of the Pro Comp. What position is your 20T in? Is it a regular 5-speed or an ultra (narrow) 6-speed? If you switch to New Winner or Winner Pro you can get steel cogs.

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 08-13-09 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-12-09, 07:55 PM
Kinetikx
Eater of carbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regular spaced 5 speed. The 20T is the center cog.

And up until now I haven't come across any information about being able to switch out cogs on the Pro Compe. That's a good thing to know and I'm surprised I've gone this long without figuring it out. How would one go about taking it apart? (I'm assuming 2 chain whips to take off one or two of the outer cogs?)
Old 08-12-09, 08:26 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Liked 767 Times in 432 Posts
Regular spaced 5 speed. The 20T is the center cog.

How would one go about taking it apart? (I'm assuming 2 chain whips to take off one or two of the outer cogs?)
The Pro Compe 5 speed body has 2 stages. The inner 3 have 4 splines (slots) and the cogs simply slide on/off just like a cassette. The outer 2 (smallest) are threaded, so you have to restrain one of the inner cogs while you unscrew each of the 2 outer cogs. The easiest way to do this is to use a bench vise and a cog holder tool to hold the freewheel by one of its inner sliding cogs and use a chainwhip or track cog tool to unscrew the outer threaded cogs. Needless to say, you remove the outmost cog first before removing the second cog. Since your 20T is in 3rd position it will be splined and any Winner, New Winner, Winner Pro inner 20T cog will fit.
Old 08-12-09, 09:02 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Are the splined cogs on the older Suntour "Perfect" the same dimensions as the Pro Compe? My two road bikes both have this freewheel, and they've seen many thousands of miles of miles over the last three decades... but I've run out of unworn steel 19T splined cogs to fit... Does anyone here know where I might find such a unicorn? The alternative is to buy one of these NOS New Winners with what are to me unusable ratios? My current ratio is 15-16-19-25-32 and works well with my 42-52. Don't want to spend hundreds on revamping my drivetrain.
Old 08-13-09, 05:13 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Liked 646 Times in 291 Posts

*The 610 had many more miles before I owned it, and from the story I've heard it even did a cross country tour. So in theory this particular freewheel has quite a few more miles than what I've put it through.
Glad to see you still have (and are riding) the 610. Guess I sent it to a good home.
IIWM, I'd swap out the frewheel for a modern 7-speed. Original is nice, but rideability is better.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 08-13-09, 07:13 AM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a box full of Suntour freewheel cogs that I believe will fit pro compe and perfect.
PM me if interested. I think I have a surpluse of 20T and 19T.

Aluminium cogs were meant for race day. I think you would wear them out in pretty short order.
Even 30T front cogs are usually steel. Weight difference isn't much and the wear difference is huge.
Old 08-13-09, 07:36 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,471 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyFranky
Are the splined cogs on the older Suntour "Perfect" the same dimensions as the Pro Compe?
IIRC Perfect and Pro-Compe differed only in the color of the cogs.
Old 08-13-09, 04:09 PM
Kinetikx
Eater of carbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TejanoTrackie: I appreciate all of the information. It never fails that I learn something every time I log in here.

Top: Yeah, I've been neglecting my other bikes badly since you sent me the 610. It fits about perfect and for my commute I haven't found anything better. It's been a dream. This is the first problem I've had and can only be attributed to normal wear. Miyata built a nearly bulletproof touring bike with the 610.

Bikemore: I'll take you up on the offer. With this new information it would be silly to spend the kind of money I was considering when I thought that the Pro Compe was a "disposable" freewheel.
Old 08-13-09, 04:37 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
Glad to see you still have (and are riding) the 610. Guess I sent it to a good home.
IIWM, I'd swap out the frewheel for a modern 7-speed. Original is nice, but rideability is better.
I love what the Suntours looked like but I have to agree. $17 for a complete free hub with ramped gears to make it shift better under power (what broke the teeth) is hard to beat.
https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...oducts_id=6178
Old 08-14-09, 01:35 AM
mrmw

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Super Sport S/P, 1984 Miyata 610, 1985 Panasonic LX 1000, Centurion Pro Tour 15 1983

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
TejanoTrackie: I appreciate all of the information. It never fails that I learn something every time I log in here.

Top: Yeah, I've been neglecting my other bikes badly since you sent me the 610. It fits about perfect and for my commute I haven't found anything better. It's been a dream. This is the first problem I've had and can only be attributed to normal wear. Miyata built a nearly bulletproof touring bike with the 610.

Bikemore: I'll take you up on the offer. With this new information it would be silly to spend the kind of money I was considering when I thought that the Pro Compe was a "disposable" freewheel.
From my Miyata 610 1984 I have the original Suntour freewheel. Judging by the original chain that came with the bike, there was something less than 2k miles on the bike when it came to me. I'd love to see the freewheel go to a good home. PM me.
Old 08-14-09, 10:34 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Liked 99 Times in 41 Posts
I don;t know about where you live, but the bike co-op here has a box full of old freewheels of nearly every description. I have pulled out old Regina's, 8-speeds, alloy, metal. If you have a coop near you, do some digging, you may be able to replentish your supply for the rest of your life for about the price of a single NOS Suntour.
Old 08-14-09, 02:46 PM
arborohs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take the suntour FW off and put it on a nail in your garage. put on a new shimano FW and never look back. they shift so nice
Old 08-14-09, 02:51 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Liked 1,372 Times in 864 Posts
Originally Posted by arborohs
take the suntour FW off and put it on a nail in your garage. put on a new shimano FW and never look back. they shift so nice
... assuming he can get the cog sizes he wants. I have stuck with SunTour because I have a great array of spare cogs.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-14-09, 04:31 PM
Kinetikx
Eater of carbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balindamood
I don;t know about where you live, but the bike co-op here has a box full of old freewheels of nearly every description. I have pulled out old Regina's, 8-speeds, alloy, metal. If you have a coop near you, do some digging, you may be able to replentish your supply for the rest of your life for about the price of a single NOS Suntour.
If only there was a co-op nearby. I'm jealous of those of you who have access to one. We only have 3 bike shops within cycling distance and two of them look at you funny if you come in on anything less than a compact frame aluminum/carbon state-of-the-art machine. And then they tell you they can't help you. One is cooler but they just don't have the stuff I need most of the time.

Originally Posted by arborohs
While I would normally agree with you, I've had absolutely no trouble shifting with what this bike has. And to tell you the truth I've pretty much only had bikes with Shimano drivetrain gear. It's been nice seeing what else the world of obsolete technology has to offer

Originally Posted by mrmw
From my Miyata 610 1984 I have the original Suntour freewheel. Judging by the original chain that came with the bike, there was something less than 2k miles on the bike when it came to me. I'd love to see the freewheel go to a good home. PM me.
I've already made a deal with bikemore to get one of his cogs. Thanks for the offer though. If I somehow ruin the whole freewheel when I change out the cog I'll know who to come see Plus I'm kind of looking forward to the experience of partially taking this thing apart.
Old 08-14-09, 04:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,631 Times in 1,530 Posts
I also have some old cogs that would fit. Let me know if you want me to dig through them.

Yes, the Pro Compe and the Perfect were the same except for color. It was as durable a freewheel as any, but it wasn't special in any way. I agree it provides adequate shifting, but you will find that a Shimano freewheel with twisted teeth will work a bit better.

Alloy freewheel cogs are dumb!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.