Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Turned my Stumpjumper FSR to HT today. It's like having two bikes.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 12:35 AM
DenisMenchov
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's an 08 29er FSR. I just turned the knob full clockwise on the brain fade and inertia valve system, and shazam...instant Hardtail . Stumpjumpers are amazing. Tomorrow I can switch back to FS if needed.

It's like having two bikes...but not.
Old 09-20-09, 12:49 AM
mystolenbikes

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually it's like having 3 bikes. Full suspension, hard tail and a full rigid once you lock out the fork too.
Old 09-20-09, 04:26 AM
Bosock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not know if it is the same on the brain system, however, I was told never ride with the shock locked out unless you are riding on the road. I do not know if that is what you are doing or not. Supposedly you will likely blow out the valve if you try to lock out and take it on any type of off pavement trail. I have never experienced this, then again, I have never done it it. But have been informed by LBS mechanic and some local riders that if you try and lock out on any type of technical trail you stand a good chance of blowing out the shock. If you are just locking out to ride on the road, sorry for the unnecessary warning.
Old 09-20-09, 04:33 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
Amazing news! Teeth shattering, I'm sure!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 09-20-09, 04:43 AM
DenisMenchov
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bosock
I do not know if it is the same on the brain system, however, I was told never ride with the shock locked out unless you are riding on the road. I do not know if that is what you are doing or not. Supposedly you will likely blow out the valve if you try to lock out and take it on any type of off pavement trail. I have never experienced this, then again, I have never done it it. But have been informed by LBS mechanic and some local riders that if you try and lock out on any type of technical trail you stand a good chance of blowing out the shock. If you are just locking out to ride on the road, sorry for the unnecessary warning.
Good tip. I was riding on pavement however. Usually I ride to the trail, so I'll leave the suspension locked out, both front and rear on the road...then once I get to the trail...I'll adjust the suspension and tire pressure as needed.

Now I have jumped curbs with both rear and front locked out on occassion. I wonder if I should refrain from doing this.
Old 09-20-09, 04:44 AM
DenisMenchov
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mystolenbikes
Actually it's like having 3 bikes. Full suspension, hard tail and a full rigid once you lock out the fork too.
^win^
Old 09-20-09, 06:20 AM
estabro
lungbuster

Bikes: Trek 5000 Road, SSFG Road, Kona FS MTN, Frankenbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Fox TALAS RLC has an adjustable lockout blow-off so when you are locked, a large bump won't damage the internals.
Old 09-20-09, 06:28 AM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey...I could sell my HT if I do this!
Old 09-20-09, 04:40 PM
edbikebabe
runnin' down a dream

Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My full suspension Stumpy locked out doesn't ride ANYTHING like my HT Stumpy.

Just sayin'
Old 09-20-09, 04:50 PM
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This isn't stumpy tech, it's Epic tech. The 08 isn't instant HT either. My 06 Epic works that way but the 08 is different, it always has some travel available, approx 40 mm, the brain opens full travel on your model. Your perception needs honed.
Old 09-20-09, 04:57 PM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This isn't an issue on bike with the "Brain Fade" - which 08s are. The Brain never fully locks out, so this won't be an issue. Even pre-Fade versions on their firmest setting would still activate when taking a bump; that's the whole idea behind the Brain shock.

As for regular shocks with a lockout valve, I would guess that they're designed to handle terrain in the locked out mode and you wouldn't blow out a seal if you did this now and then.
Old 09-21-09, 08:21 PM
DenisMenchov
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you set it up right it will be fully rigid. The rear shock pressure can be set at a maximum of 300 psi. At least I don't feel any bobbing on the rear in the firmest setting.
Old 09-21-09, 08:58 PM
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah that's what I would do, put it at max. Make sure your tires are inflated to max too, to get the most roadie efficiency. He He

Last edited by born2bahick; 09-21-09 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-21-09, 11:29 PM
DenisMenchov
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No need, 200 psi is good enough. You'd be surprise how rigid the rear is. I would say the front with the reba sl shock locked out is significantly less rigid than the rear when set up this way.