Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best Grease for Vintage Hub Rebuild?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 10:34 PM
rothenfield1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm about to attempt my first hub rebuild on a set of Shimano 600 6207s. I've used Park Polylube 1000 for every bike molestation I've attempted since getting sucked down into this vintage bike restoration obsession that I've been stricken with. I've repacked headset barring and that seems to be working out OK. But, now we're talking about the real-deal, the working end of the tool where the rubber meets the road, literally. If the goal is long term performance, is there really any difference what grease one uses?
Old 09-25-09, 10:36 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just realized that this may not be the right forum for this question. But, I'd appreciate your opinions anyway.
Old 09-25-09, 11:40 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2450 Post(s)
Liked 4,492 Times in 2,128 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
I just realized that this may not be the right forum for this question. But, I'd appreciate your opinions anyway.
Don't worry - I sent a notice to the moderators to have the thread moved into the main forum.

In the meantime, you might find that this rather recent thread has some very good advice on grease: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=588419

-Kurt

Old 09-26-09, 07:30 AM
Force 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 67 Posts
I've been using Park grease as well, but I was recently given some Campy grease and am very impressed after using it in my BB. You can feel the difference. Why did they quit making Campy grease?
Old 09-26-09, 07:54 AM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a phil wood man when it comes to grease if its around, but really I'll use just about anything so long as its not super thick, not to mention stinky (the two usually come hand in hand)!
Old 09-26-09, 10:42 AM
steve-d
Too many hobbies!

Bikes: Maserati MT-2 (reviewed in Road and Track, 1974; Raleigh Competion GS Carlton; Dawes Super Gallexy; Hollands; Raleigh Professional

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best Substitue for Campy grease? Here it is

Lubriplate. Available through Yellow Jersey. Made in the USA.

https://www.yellowjersey.org/hardware.html

The stuff is great and the threads allow for the tube to be placed on a Pete's grease injector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LUB130.jpg (86.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-26-09, 12:20 PM
steve-d
Too many hobbies!

Bikes: Maserati MT-2 (reviewed in Road and Track, 1974; Raleigh Competion GS Carlton; Dawes Super Gallexy; Hollands; Raleigh Professional

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the tech geeks, here is a specs page:

https://www.amazon.com/130-aa-10-oz-0...989189&sr=1-16

And found on EBAY:
https://cgi.ebay.com/LUBRIPLATE-Greas...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by steve-d; 09-26-09 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-26-09, 12:34 PM
Sci-Fi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Chevron SRI-2 and Mobil Polyrex EM is factory fill for 'sealed for life bearings' (Timken, SKF, etc). Park Polylube, 'to me', is just a more expensive re-packaging of Polyrex EM.

For a more smooth and fast rolling grease, use Mobil 28 or Slick 50 One Grease...more like a NLGI 1.5 grease or on the thin end of NLGI 2 specs. Mobil 28 is also a Mil Spec grease, so it's expensive [but cheaper than Krytox grease (Finish Line has a small amount of Krytox in it, but not enough to justify it's price)], but Slick 50 One grease is priced like regular automotive grease.

Mobil 1 synthetic grease and
Mystic JT-6 grease are more easily found locally. JT-6 is very waterproof/resistant and long lasting, if you live in wet/high humidity areas.

That being said, any automotive grease should be fine. Everybody will have their preferences based on experience with different brands of grease.
Old 09-26-09, 12:35 PM
AL NZ

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I use automotive wheel bearing grease, on the same assumptions that I have seen written elsewhere. A car wheel bearing will run hours at speeds of 50-100mph, carry 2-3 tonnes spread over 4 wheels, cope with brake heat up to 200'C+, and do this for 100,000 miles or more. So even a big fattie like me, at 240lbs, doing max of 30 mph and no brake heat to hub - surely even low-rent grease will exceed all demands.

So I use car grease!
Old 09-26-09, 12:42 PM
soderbiker
Waiting for Summer !

Bikes: E.Merckx Corsa extra PK Banken,E.Merckx Corsa extra TT,E.Merckx Strada,De Visini,Olmo Gentleman,Peugeot PA-10,E.Merckx Corsa extra Team Issue,Nishiki Olympic Royale,Nishiki Olympic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hope this helps .
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html

Cheers
T
Old 09-26-09, 12:44 PM
MountDoraCycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use RnR's Red Devil grease with 2-3 drops of motor oil on each side for some nice riding hubs. Been doing it for years on hubs that matter. Cheaper hubs get the ol park 1000 grease.
Old 09-30-09, 09:17 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
I use automotive wheel bearing grease, on the same assumptions that I have seen written elsewhere. A car wheel bearing will run hours at speeds of 50-100mph, carry 2-3 tonnes spread over 4 wheels, cope with brake heat up to 200'C+, and do this for 100,000 miles or more.
Right on ... I agree. In my not so humble opinion, there is a lot of b.......t about bicycle lubricants so that tiny amounts of it can be sold at outrageous prices with fashionable names attached to fabulous claims that are printed on impressive little containers. Admittedly not all grease nor oil is equal, but any that is formulated for extreme service on race cars and expensive machinery of other kinds should do you well. If you are a super competative athlete, the fractional drag of thicker grease may be a tad worrisome — I won't argue the case. So, just use whatever the racers use and rest yer brain cells.

I have a set of wheels with old Campagnolo Record hubs that are intended for frequent oiling. And, my Raleigh back in the Cretaceous used the same lubricant application exactly ... with the spring steel detent cover where the oil went into the hub. As a boy, I dutifully squirted straight 30 weight in the hubs once a week. In years of riding I never scoured the cone side nor the actual race. Come to think of it, the BB was using the same lubricant, and it ran flawlessly for many, many years on into my adulthood.

Grease is oil with a wax in it. It is designed to continue sloshing about the target surfaces for a longer period than say straight oil that will wick away and be thrown about by centrifugal forces. But, as the late Sheldon Brown strongly implies in his article, oil is just as effective as grease, but re-application is necessarily a frequent thing. Nonetheless, actual grease may help keep water out of races — although I never seemed to have found that a problem on my bikes of yor.

I've been deeply involved in audio, and the associated, worshipped icons and ubiquitous fetishes resemble some of those to be found in the cycling world. The audio community knows this marketing fadism as 'snake oil'. My two bits ... but I live and stand by it after more than 40 years of keeping old machinary alive. The difference may be solely lie in terms of the intervals of maintenance. When my old Campy hubs go back into service, I intend to squirt a few drops of 90 weight synthetic hypoid oil into them every few rides. If I live and ride to be 120 years old, I'll only ever need one can of the stuff.

If you need grease — and nearly all of us do in this age — just be sure it is a good one that supplies a good shear factor. Some time ago, I bought a big, grease-gun-sized tube of stuff that is intended for race car wheel bearings — what more do I want!? OK ... so the price was more than the stuff for yer lawnmower, but it was a wad less than magical bicycle grease.

Last edited by Lenton58; 09-30-09 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-30-09, 09:19 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked 2,254 Times in 1,124 Posts
For truely period correct bikes that are genuine vintage, I use whale blubber.
Old 09-30-09, 09:32 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenton58
Right on ... I agree. In my not so humble opinion, there is a lot of b.......t about bicycle lubricants so that tiny amounts of it can be sold at outrageous prices with fashionable names attached to fabulous claims that are printed on impressive little containers. Admittedly not all grease nor oil is equal, but any that is formulated for extreme service on race cars and expensive machinery of other kinds should do you well. If you are a super competative athlete, the fractional drag of thicker grease may be a tad worrisome — I won't argue the case. So, just use whatever the racers use and rest yer brain cells.
+1. i buy the big generic tub of automotive hi-temp bearing grease, the red stuff. it has always worked great on all bearing surfaces on any bike i've serviced, not to mention automotive applications for which it has worked equally well. however, i can appreciate arguments against organic solvent-based greases when mixing with oil occurs, such as in an IGH, where soap-based greases may retain longer.

Grease is oil with a wax in it so that it continues to adhere to the target surfaces. As the late Sheldon Brown strongly implies in his article, oil is just as effective as grease, but application is necessarily a frequent thing. Nonetheless, actual grease may help keep water out of races — although I have never seemed to have found that a problem on my bikes of yor.
some people argue that oil is superior for bearings than grease, with the caveat that you mentioned-- it needs frequent replenishing, therefore it is incompatible with the modern consumer's habits. mark stonich recommends only oil for sturmey archer axle bearings, and a thin layer of grease for the labyrinth cone seals.

I've been deeply involved in audio, and the asssociated, worshipped icons and ubiquitous fetishes resemble some of those to be found on the shelves of many LBS's. My two bits ... but I live and stand by it after more than 40 years of keeping old machinary alive. The difference may be solely lie in terms of the intervals of maintenance.
lol, so true. and the vintage audiophiles are just as fanatical (how many sets of vintage A/D/S speakers do i own??? ).

as an audio analogy to bike greases, i worked in retail high-end audio decades ago, and it amazed me how people would empty their wallets on accessories like monster speaker cabling. of course, quality pre-amp signal cabling was important (and i only used signal cables i made myself), but people were willing to spend upwards of $100 (in 1980s dollars) just for speaker cable with the belief that inferior "lamp cord" tainted the otherwise pure signal outputting from their carver and denon amps-- even when mcintosh debunked such beliefs by conducting blind audio tests using those two types of cables.

Last edited by southpawboston; 09-30-09 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-30-09, 12:34 PM
yellowjeep

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lenton and Southpaw, its posts like yours' that make me love this forum.
In the interest of staying semi on topic I use Phil Wood because I could get it cheap when I worked at a shop. The next grease I buy will be Slick 50.

Last edited by yellowjeep; 09-30-09 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-30-09, 12:46 PM
yuyax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using the brand that is or was available at the Home Crepot. It looks like the Phil Wood dark green grease and comes in small white tin can. I think the word waterproof or something else is on the can. About $6
Old 09-30-09, 12:59 PM
Vinci

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just rebuilt one of those very hubs recently and used Redline CV2 grease. It is marketed for automotive applications but is an excellent (if smelly) red grease. The grease wasn't particularly cheap, but I already had it around for car projects.
Old 09-30-09, 01:50 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I only use my own home made grease which is a blend of expeller pressed canola oil jojoba oil
tallow and carnubia wax. I've noticed that this is also good when one needs to polish his/her
mpingo disks

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 09-30-09, 02:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7403 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,507 Posts
I understand that the bearings ride on a tiny, thin film of the lubricant, pushing the rest away. That pushed-away portion serves to keep dirt and water out, not to lubricate. (Have I got it right so far?) So I find it hard to believe that viscosity (between one grease and another) plays a role in increasing or reducing friction. I also use car grease, though I like the sticky stuff when I'm assembling bearings where the balls are likely to fall out. I still have a tube of Phil grease, from when I was more impressionable, so I use that when I need sticky grease.

Rothenfield1, I find headsets to be trickier than hubs, so you'll do fine.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-30-09, 02:07 PM
awc380

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're honestly discussing grease now?
Is there vintage grease?? What do we want here...???
Old 09-30-09, 02:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7403 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,507 Posts
Oy, I just realized that my tube of Phil grease is vintage! I'm still using it and not savoring it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-30-09, 02:34 PM
Sci-Fi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^How vintage do you want to go? At one time brakes were considered not necessary/optional, vasoline was the in thing for chain lube and protection, and they were riding double century events (1896).
https://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...629C94669ED7CF

lol...couldn't resist
Old 09-30-09, 02:46 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by awc380
We're honestly discussing grease now?
Is there vintage grease?? What do we want here...???
yes there is 'vintage grease'

photo courtesy Velobase.com

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 09-30-09, 02:57 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 99 Posts
Any quality automotive wheel bearing grease will be more than enough for bicycle bearings... bicycle specific greases are the biggest scam out there as you pay 4 and 5 times as much for the same product you can get at an auto parts store.

There is a great selection of greases out there... synthetic marine grease is my favourite.
Old 09-30-09, 03:03 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 350 Posts
I use general purpose Lubrimatic dark-type Lithium grease. It is an all-purpose grease that isn't really "sticky" so much as slick. Most general greases are ok, with the exception of the very thick ones in certain applications. There are some greases that give better service than others. I rebuilt a bike a few years ago with general purpose brown axle grease-- a mistake I regretted later. I also avoid the thick, high-temp automotive greases too. I've since converted to the dark lithium grease you find in the hardware store, and I am quite happy with it.

The greases you want to watch out for are those with vegetable component additives that will dry out and gunk up. I haven't seen any of these around lately. I agree that the story of "pure bicycle" greases is a myth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.