Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Could someone explain the high pressure tire?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 06:50 AM
ebonyresearch
Air conditioned Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its almost time for some new rubbers on my bike. When I look down at the tires while I am riding They look a little flat. Last time I pumped up the front tire, I tried to put a little too much pressure in there because the tube blew while I was pumping it up. So I am wondering is it the tube that is "high pressure" or the tire or both. I have thought about getting some kevlar tires...is it worth the extra cheese. I dont ride off road but do ride a little ways away from home and would like to avoid a flat and to have less rolling resistance. pre thanks.
Old 10-09-09, 07:06 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
How long of an answer do you want?

1. Bicycle inner tubes are like balloons. None of them will hold very much pressure unless they are contained in a tire. Tires are pressure rated by size and construction. They will have a maximum inflation pressure indicated on the sidewall.

2. Many bike tires have kevlar belts under the tread that reduce (but won't completely eliminate) punctures. Whether or not they are worth the extra money depends on where you live and ride.
Old 10-09-09, 07:52 AM
ebonyresearch
Air conditioned Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short version please. Not the dinotte tail light version... I have a 700c tire size. I believe i am running at around 40 psi, I know I read somewhere that people were running over 100psi and so what tube and tire would take that pressure?
Old 10-09-09, 07:57 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
700X what? The advisable pressure is determined by the width of the tire and your weight.
Old 10-09-09, 08:56 AM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ran across this article.I've used it to set my pressures and it seems to work well for me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TireDrop.pdf (64.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-09-09, 09:18 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XR2
I ran across this article.I've used it to set my pressures and it seems to work well for me.
Interesting chart.
I put in my combined weight for me and my road bike: 180lbs.
Did the advised 60/40 split for the weight distribution: 108/72 lbs
Fot 23c tires the chart gave me recommended pressures of 112/75psi!
That's a big pressure difference.
A 55/45 split gives me 80/100psi which seems more normal.
Now I'm curious as to how differently I'm loading each tire.
I don't have a scale.
Old 10-09-09, 09:24 AM
Shimagnolo

Liked 5,646 Times in 2,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Metzinger
Now I'm curious as to how differently I'm loading each tire.
I don't have a scale.
You don't have a bathroom scales???
I put my road bike on my scales, and found I had 140 pounds on the rear tire, and 70 pounds on the front.
i.e. 67/33 distribution.
So I am skeptical of the weight distribution shown in that doc.
Old 10-09-09, 09:37 AM
danarnold
Kaffee Nazi

Bikes: 2009 Kestrel RT800, 2007 Roubaix, 1976 Lambert-Viscount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
You don't have a bathroom scales???
I put my road bike on my scales, and found I had 140 pounds on the rear tire, and 70 pounds on the front.
i.e. 67/33 distribution.
So I am skeptical of the weight distribution shown in that doc.
I'm skeptical of the whole thing. First of all, my bike apparently weighs nothing. Front wheel with me on is 65 lbs, rear 115 = 180. That's what I weigh without the bike. So I tried it with just the bike. Sure enough, 0.00. I'd blame my scales, but I'm guessing it's the idiot trying to use them.

The other reason I'm skeptical, is that the weight distribution is going to vary depending on whether I'm upright or over the bars. Right?
Old 10-09-09, 09:44 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by danarnold
I'm skeptical of the whole thing. First of all, my bike apparently weighs nothing. Front wheel with me on is 65 lbs, rear 115 = 180. That's what I weigh without the bike. So I tried it with just the bike. Sure enough, 0.00.
Is your bike level when one wheel is on the scales?
Is the wheel being weighed higher by a couple of inches?
Old 10-09-09, 09:52 AM
JoelS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just inflate to about the max rating on my road bike.

Many things can cause a blowout. Tube pinched between tire and rim is common.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 10-09-09, 11:30 AM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting chart, I've never read it before, but it's nearly the same way I inflate my tires. More by look and feel than pressure readings. (I really have no idea what the pressure is in any of my bikes)

Basically I inflate the tire untill I can feel the surface texture of the road through the bars while riding, then back off pressure till I don't. I then look to see what the bulge looks like, and before every ride look at the tires with weight on it.

Short answer is that it's the tires that are high pressure, tubes are only to hold the air, and will expand to fill the tire.(within limits)

Ken.
Old 10-09-09, 12:16 PM
XR2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When you check weight distribution the bike must be level and feet on the pedals.You'll need help.Floor needs to be level also.Move around an inch or two while on the scale and you'll see how much things change for a small movement.
Old 10-09-09, 01:19 PM
danarnold
Kaffee Nazi

Bikes: 2009 Kestrel RT800, 2007 Roubaix, 1976 Lambert-Viscount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metzinger
Is your bike level when one wheel is on the scales?
Is the wheel being weighed higher by a couple of inches?
Yes. Shims under other wheel same height as scales. I guess I have scales that only recognize living tissue.

I'll have somebody weigh me after I die. I can wait.
Old 10-09-09, 01:22 PM
njkayaker

Liked 1,443 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by danarnold
The other reason I'm skeptical, is that the weight distribution is going to vary depending on whether I'm upright or over the bars. Right?
It doesn't have to be that precise. Since you can't adjust the pressure on the fly, you'll have to deal with it not being "perfect". (It probably matters more with increased weight.)

The bicycle weights, maybe, 30 pounds or approxmately 15 lbs per wheel. A few pounds one way or another isn't important.

Scales might be inaccurate at low total weights. Try weighing yourself holding the bicycle and subtracting your weight.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-09-09 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-09-09, 01:58 PM
ebonyresearch
Air conditioned Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I have changed a few tires in my day. I am a Phd Harley Davidson, although I am not going to say thats not possible. She gave out at a pretty high pressure. I used some soapy water just like I would on a regular(motorcycle tire). What I am wondering is what is the description of the high pressure tire. I gather that I should go to the LBS and just look at the sidewall.
Old 10-09-09, 02:08 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, all bike tires I've seen have the pressure rating on the sidewall. I usually go about 10-15 PSI lower than the rating. Mostly for comforts sake. Go too much lower and you run the risk of pinch flats.
Old 10-09-09, 02:45 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I'm doing some serious speculation here, but I speculate that pressure ratings on tires are more related to what the rim will stand up to, rather that the rubber and cord. A 700C x 40 at a given pressure is going to exert a lot more force on the rim than a 700C x 21 at the same pressure.
Old 10-09-09, 05:07 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
I'm doing some serious speculation here, but I speculate that pressure ratings on tires are more related to what the rim will stand up to, rather that the rubber and cord.
Tires have a pressure rating, yes, but rims have their own pressure rating as well, even if they're not always published. Go with the lower of the two.

ebonyresearch, there are two parts of a tire that would be made of Kevlar -- the belt, as mentioned before, and the bead, the edge of the tire that hooks into the wheel rim. Tires with wire beads (literally, a hoop of metal wire) hold their shape when off the wheel and are quite stiff. A Kevlar bead allows the tire to be folded flat for storage purposes, saves weight, and is still sturdy enough to be useful (Kevlar has very little stretch, even comparable to steel of the same diameter). When you see a tire listed as two versions in a catalog, and one says "Kevlar", it's probably got a Kevlar bead instead of wire.

Also, having the tube blow while pumping it up was likely an installation error and not the fault of too much pressure (that is, if you're not significantly pumping beyond the pressure rating of the tire). Installing the tube with a fold in the rubber or letting it get caught between the tire bead and rim will create a weak spot. If it's pinched between the bead and rim, it will work its way back out and, without the tire to contain it, it expands and pops like a balloon.
Old 10-10-09, 08:57 AM
ebonyresearch
Air conditioned Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This makes more sense. When Harley switched to the belt drives they showed us a pic of the kevlar band in the belt. running lengthwise 7 times through the belt. They showed us a pic of a single strand holding an F-150 suspended in the air.
Old 10-10-09, 10:27 AM
XR2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You still employed by The Motor Company?
Old 10-10-09, 10:38 AM
Shimagnolo

Liked 5,646 Times in 2,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
I'm doing some serious speculation here, but I speculate that pressure ratings on tires are more related to what the rim will stand up to, rather that the rubber and cord. A 700C x 40 at a given pressure is going to exert a lot more force on the rim than a 700C x 21 at the same pressure.
I will agree with that.
I had some semi-smooth 26" x 1.9" tires that were rated at 70psi, so that was what I ran in them.
After *twice* cracking the sidewall of a Mavic mtn rim, I finally realized that was more than the rims could handle.
Old 10-10-09, 05:41 PM
ebonyresearch
Air conditioned Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HELL NO! I worked for Harley Davidson and got my fill of the bull! Worked for an Import Yamaha and Suzuki dealership before I moved which frankly was so much nicer. The people that loved to ride rather than participate in a costume party. It was also nice to have such a diversity of riders from working on the side by sides to quads to dirt bikes and cruisers, and then the water craft, which I could do without... I used to own Chico's Custom in Greenville Texas back in 2002 and 2003. I still restore on my own 1 at a time. Which is much more enjoyable and not such a "bolt on the chrome fest". Graduated from MMI Orlando in 2007, I love to ride anything with wheels on it!

Now I fix computers - its a cake walk compared to motorcycles and much better paying without the constant payment to the snap on truck. Still doing my research in electroculture and working on Motorcycles at night though.

Last edited by ebonyresearch; 10-11-09 at 07:55 AM. Reason: forgot something.
Old 10-11-09, 09:28 PM
itsthewoo

Bikes: Trek SU100, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pressure ratings on the tires are definitely not the maximum pressure rating that the tires can take (otherwise, how would it be able to take your weight?). Those ratings are likely determined by a bit of number crunching at the company at where they think the maximum "safe" pressure is. Safe meaning with a negligible amount of "incidents" of tires blowing up and such.