Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cycling computer for indoors

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 10:07 AM
cervelo-van

Bikes: Cervelo R3, P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a Garmin EDGE 705 which works great. However, the GPS does not work indoors, therefore I cannot get data when riding on the trainer. Any ideas of what I can do?

Thanks
Old 10-14-09, 10:10 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by cervelo-van
Hi,

I have a Garmin EDGE 705 which works great. However, the GPS does not work indoors, therefore I cannot get data when riding on the trainer. Any ideas of what I can do?

Thanks
$10 at Walmart. They work very well.
https://www.pakayas.com/schwinn-17fun...-comput17.html

Old 10-14-09, 11:29 AM
kabersch

Bikes: Scattante CFR Elite road bike and Schwin mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The speed/cadence sensor should allow you to get speed indoors. If one didn't come with the computer you can order it from Garmin.
Old 10-14-09, 01:12 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might also be able to put your cyclecomputer onto the trainer itself rather than your bike, if you don't want it on the bike when you actually ride it.

Though it may or may not work well -- normally they're made for tires with a 16-27" diameter, not a 3" diameter like you might find on the trainer. (And you'd have to calculate your diameter yourself to calibrate the computer -- but that's easy enough.)
Old 10-14-09, 02:46 PM
barturtle

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Make sure that the pickup is attached to the rear wheel, as the front tire pickup would be useless on a trainer. I use a Cateye Strada Cadence, as it has a rear wheel pickup (and wired just works more reliably than wireless systems)
Old 10-17-09, 08:35 AM
Homer & G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barturtle
Make sure that the pickup is attached to the rear wheel, as the front tire pickup would be useless on a trainer. I use a Cateye Strada Cadence, as it has a rear wheel pickup (and wired just works more reliably than wireless systems)
+1 Just put that one on my trainer dedicated bike - wired version with enough wire to get to the back wheel - looks like it will work well - $32 from Amazon.