Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Arkel waterproof tech pants

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 10:50 PM
reddeno
zing.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone ever used the Arkel Endura Tech Pants?

Opine? I can find no reviews...
Old 10-29-09, 07:15 AM
Severian
META

Bikes: Gary Fisher Aquila (retired), Specialized Allez Sport (in parts), Cannondale R500, HP Velotechnic Street Machine, Dented Blue Fixed Gear (retired), Seven Tsunami SSFG, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Hardtail (alloy version)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Ummm... Arkel and Endura are two completely different companies. Arkel is selling Endura's product on their website, but they do not own Endura.

Endura's home website.

now... on to your question. The Endura Tech Pant is the best breathable and waterproof hardshell pant on the market. There are many others out there. But, this pant's combination of solid technical design, good use of fabrics and collection of extras (like the double pocket zips, one set goes to an integrated pocket, the other allows you to get at pockets in whatever garment you're wearing under the Tech Pant) put it way ahead of the pack. The caveat here is that the Tech Pant is also one of the most expensive. Except that you're paying for a garment that will last a long time.

I don't personally have a pair, I do have the eVent 3/4 pant from Endura. Though, everyone else in my shop has purchased a pair and loves them. I'm not much of a full length pants guy.

full disclosure: I work at a shop where we sell Endura product.
Old 10-29-09, 07:18 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I can't speak on those pants, but I own several pieces of Endura outerwear and they all seem good quality and durable.

Edit: And I got all mine at my LBS.
Old 10-29-09, 08:56 AM
reddeno
zing.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the clarification & info--I was thinking it was a type of fabric.
Old 10-29-09, 04:57 PM
crawdaddio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been using these for four years.
WaterPROOF? Yes.
Durable? Yes.
Breatheable? No.
Inexpensive? Yes.

https://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77701
Old 10-30-09, 08:39 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by reddeno
Anyone ever used the Arkel Endura Tech Pants?

Opine? I can find no reviews...
Jaa, they were rubbish. The knees are some sort of stretchy water resistant material that will soak through in a heavy downpour or if you kneel in the snow. They also let a lot of wind and cold through, which makes for sore, painful knees in the cold of winter.

The zipper on one of the ankles gave out after about a month of commuting, IIRC.
Old 10-30-09, 08:59 AM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Given Ziemas's review above, maybe J&G's waterproof/breathable pants are a better option.

I've been "just getting wet" below the waist for a few years, but I'm thinking about getting some of the J&G pants now. I have been using their waterproof/breathable jacket for 3 years now and it's been great, and still shows no sign of wear other than the zipper pull got bent in my clothes dryer once.
Old 10-30-09, 09:03 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Given Ziemas's review above, maybe J&G's waterproof/breathable pants are a better option.

I've been "just getting wet" below the waist for a few years, but I'm thinking about getting some of the J&G pants now. I have been using their waterproof/breathable jacket for 3 years now and it's been great, and still shows no sign of wear other than the zipper pull got bent in my clothes dryer once.
The best I've found, and I've tried a lot (J&G, Endura, Showers Pass, Nashbar, and a few others) are Taiga Cyclotron Pants. They are extremely well made and designed, totally waterproof, and bombproof. Of course they aren't cheap, but they are made to last. Made in Canada, in fact.

Prices at the below site in Canadian dollars. No import duties to the US as they are made in Canada.

https://www.taigaworks.ca/cart.php?m...ct_detail&p=63
Old 10-30-09, 12:07 PM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
The best I've found, and I've tried a lot (J&G, Endura, Showers Pass, Nashbar, and a few others) are Taiga Cyclotron Pants. They are extremely well made and designed, totally waterproof, and bombproof. Of course they aren't cheap, but they are made to last. Made in Canada, in fact.

Prices at the below site in Canadian dollars. No import duties to the US as they are made in Canada.

https://www.taigaworks.ca/cart.php?m...ct_detail&p=63
How do they specifically compare to J&G? Do you think they'd last longer than the three pairs of J&G pants that would cost the same?

I'm not sure I buy the "bombproof" - to me that implies that they won't tear if I hit the pavement at speed while wearing them. I'm not sure fabrics can do that, apart from kevlar or something.
Old 10-30-09, 12:24 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do they specifically compare to J&G? Do you think they'd last longer than the three pairs of J&G pants that would cost the same?

I'm not sure I buy the "bombproof" - to me that implies that they won't tear if I hit the pavement at speed while wearing them. I'm not sure fabrics can do that, apart from kevlar or something.
The have full zips on the side, while the J&G only has tiny zips, and I had to take my shoes off to take them on and off. The are made of an expedition weight Gore-Tex while the J&G are made of a thinner material (the white backed stuff) and are lined with a loose baggy lining. My wife likes her J&G pants, but she only uses them a few times a year.

As for crashing, I did crash in them and they came through all right. I was wearing a Tiaga jacket also, and landed on my arm. The jacket had a tiny bruise on it, but the fabric wasn't ripped. To be safe I simply put a Gore-Tex patch on it and haven't messed with it since.

As an all weather year round commuter quality and reliability are paramount to me. Tiaga goods fit the bill. While pricey they are not expensive for what they are. I think they should last a very long time, and are more much more functional than the J&G pants.
Old 10-30-09, 04:42 PM
Ash

Bikes: Coda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've also been looking at jg's pants in addition to the new ones that rivbike will have shortly and also the stuff made over at foxwear.net .
Old 10-30-09, 05:54 PM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
As an all weather year round commuter quality and reliability are paramount to me. Tiaga goods fit the bill. While pricey they are not expensive for what they are. I think they should last a very long time, and are more much more functional than the J&G pants.
Cool. If I finally decide to pull the trigger, I'll definitely consider them.

But as I've been getting on fine for 5 years during cold rains and all winter with one pair of nylon running pants that I bought for $15 at Target (so far, getting wet hasn't been enough of an issue for me to make me want to spend $80, let alone $200) it may be a while.
Old 10-31-09, 02:43 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool. If I finally decide to pull the trigger, I'll definitely consider them.

But as I've been getting on fine for 5 years during cold rains and all winter with one pair of nylon running pants that I bought for $15 at Target (so far, getting wet hasn't been enough of an issue for me to make me want to spend $80, let alone $200) it may be a while.
Jaa, I ride in the rain or snow at least twice a week, so it's important to me to stay dry. If I didn't ride in these conditions so often I certainly wouldn't have bought such expensive pants. Considering I wear them five days a week from November through April I found them to be worth it. If you don't ride in nasty conditions as much as I do you certainly wouldn't need such fancy pants. My wife loves her J&G pants for instance.
Old 10-31-09, 02:44 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ash
I've also been looking at jg's pants in addition to the new ones that rivbike will have shortly and also the stuff made over at foxwear.net .
The Foxwear is more for extreme cold and slush that a downpour. They are nice pants, but far to warm for me for rain wear.