Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fender Effectiveness

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fender Effectiveness

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 04:06 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fender Effectiveness

I'm thinking about getting some fenders for my road bike and trying to decide which was to go. My bike does not have fender mounts.

Bontrager has these for $15 that look close to the next ones in coverage but maybe not as sturdy:
https://bontrager.com/model/06257

Planet Bike has the speed EZ road for $40, which as I said above, doesn't look like a lot more coverage, but more sturdy in attachment:
https://ecom1.planetbike.com/7017.html

Finally is the full coverage ones like Crud Roadracer, though I don't see those in stock anywhere.

What do you use? What do you like about them and what do you dislike?

THanks
Old 11-05-09, 04:10 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the planet bike EZ roads and they are fairly good. If I where to purchase new ones I would get the Cruds.
Old 11-05-09, 04:17 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing I've learned after trying several types of fenders over the years....

Anything other than a full-fender, will only "help" in keeping some of the grime and water off the bike/brakes/forks, etc. They offer "some prtoection". Otherwise, you can expect to get a nice fantail up your back, and feet will get soaked rather quickly, along with everything else. I've decided to not even bother. If I ride my high-end roadies in the rain, I might as well just accept the fact I'm going to get wet. Best protection, is to wear waterproof gear.

For any serious riding in the rain, partial fenders are akin to a gal calling herself "only a little pregnant".
Old 11-05-09, 04:22 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,205 Times in 4,265 Posts
+1 for full fenders. I have PB "freddy fenders" which are groovy.
Old 11-05-09, 04:50 PM
pmt
Experienced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SKS Raceblades are great; quick on and off, and keep you nice and dry. Even in pouring rain, they not only reduce the amount of water on you, but they keep water from flying up on the guy behind you. Using them in the paceline is courteous.
Old 11-05-09, 05:00 PM
blacksquid

Bikes: 2007 Pergoretti Marcelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pmt
SKS Raceblades are great; quick on and off, and keep you nice and dry. Even in pouring rain, they not only reduce the amount of water on you, but they keep water from flying up on the guy behind you. Using them in the paceline is courteous.
this
Old 11-05-09, 06:54 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pmt
Yea, but you still need a flap if you are pacelining.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 11-05-09, 06:59 PM
Uni-Vibe
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This guy used Fenders, and they worked pretty well for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpRsgzURnvU
Old 11-05-09, 09:28 PM
tombailey
awaiting uci approval

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blacksquid
this
Not to level that you'd actually use them though, correct? It's just nice to ride behind the the best draft in town AND not get sprayed.
Old 11-05-09, 09:53 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use the PB Speedez on my commuter road bike. They do a good job at keeping everything above my knees dry. I usually get sprayed below my knees though, but I don't really mind. As long as my butt isn't soggy or my back muddy I'm fine. My legs will dry fine.
Old 11-05-09, 10:07 PM
NaBlade
Dammit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Triguy
Planet Bike has the speed EZ road for $40, which as I said above, doesn't look like a lot more coverage, but more sturdy in attachment:
https://ecom1.planetbike.com/7017.html
I live in Vancouver where it rains A LOT. I have had the Planet Bike EZ road fenders for the past 2 years. As they are, they provide a not very good coverage. But I added some do-it-yourself 3" wide rubber mudflaps to both front and rear fenders that go down to about 6 inches off the ground. They work great and keep my back and shins completely free of grime and dirt. They're also very easy to remove and put back on.
Old 11-05-09, 10:59 PM
iansir

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those crud fenders are not full fenders. None of the ones you mentioned are. Nothing really beats full fenders with good mudflaps (all the way to the ground). The best way to get them on a road bike is something like the river city bikes reacharound brackets - takes a good bit of time to split the fenders and get them fit up, but once you do, its an excellent and very durable setup. You may need pipe clamps to attach to the seatstays and fork since it is unlikely that you have eyelets.
https://rivercitybicycles.com/product...ackets-737.htm
here is install examples:
https://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photo...acharound_rear

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...4&postcount=11

It takes a serious $$ and time investment to get these setup right. Unless you want to leave one bike setup as a rain bike all the time (like many people do here in Seattle), the crud's are going to be a lot cheaper and easier. But if you need the best fender coverage for lots of long wet training rides...they can't be beat.