Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does cycling use the same muscles as running?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-09, 11:04 PM
wookv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up biking because of bad knees (arthritis, and I'm only 30!). I bike ~50-100 miles a week (and swim too). But the other day I tried to run for a bit and my legs felt like lead! I wasn't really winded (stamina was good) but my legs were so heavy!

Assuming all the leg muscles are used for cycling and running, I'm wondering if the muscles emphasized for cycling are different than the ones for running.
Old 11-07-09, 11:12 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling and running don't use the same muscles in the same way. Running is an impact sport while cycling is not.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 11-07-09, 11:24 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As Cbad mentioned, they do not. Cycling will, however, help provide the cardiovascular intensity that running requires so that you can at least not get winded by it...

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 11-07-09, 11:25 PM
Kurogashi
DessertS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
biking is more of quads b/c you're in a sitting arch position. running is more of calves b/c you're on your toes most of the time.
Old 11-07-09, 11:37 PM
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't know how much you run but if you're new(ish) to running you have to remember that warming up is your friend.. just like on the bike.. don't expect your first mile to be friendly.. i usually spend my first mile or two convincing myself to keep running because I know they make me feel horrible, at least until I'm warmed up..
Old 11-08-09, 05:39 AM
SharpStone30888

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They use different muscles...differently.

I usually bike and run, bike mostly. When I haven't ran for a while, but have cycled lots.. then when I run I get mild DOMS which I don't get from cycling. Yea running, more calfs. Cycling-quads
Old 11-08-09, 06:19 AM
runnercyclist
Tires- 2 skinny, one fat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden over 3000 miles this year and went for a 13 minute run on the treadmill last week. Two days later my quads were very sore. My calves were fine. I'm just sayin.

I'm going to run the winter series here in Charleston.
Old 11-08-09, 07:11 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel that running helps to benefit my cycling. No they do not use the same muscles in the same way, but I feel that 1-2 runs a week helps to improve my power on the bike, especially when climbing out of the saddle.
Old 11-08-09, 07:19 AM
pharding

Bikes: 09 Pinarello Prince, 09 Cervelo P3, 10 Stevens Team Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running use leg muscles differently. Running uses muscles in the entire body more strenuously and burns more calories as a result.
Old 11-08-09, 07:22 AM
exRunner

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Biking and running use the same muscles differently, and different muscles the same (if that makes sense). Even more so using a standard road bike (which is why Tri bikes have a different geometry) If you are a runner and take up biking you will find that it is hard to hit the same cardiovascular intensity while biking. Likewise, you will find the opposite if you are a cyclist.

The mistake a lot of runners make is thinking that because biking feels so "easy" it is not giving you a workout and do not consider that in their normal exercise routine. If you are going to add biking, you need to subtract some running, at least until you get used to both.
Old 11-08-09, 07:23 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
It is amazing how little overlap there is. I've also found that cycling and swimming help each other out much less than you'd expect
Old 11-08-09, 07:36 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts
I find that running helps my cycling, but cycling doesn't help my running.
Old 11-08-09, 08:16 AM
wookv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
It is amazing how little overlap there is. I've also found that cycling and swimming help each other out much less than you'd expect
+1! good to hear that someone else feels the same too, I thought i wasn't pushing myself hard enough! It helps the endurance though.

Before I got into my regiment of swimming on Tuesdays and Thursdays (and weights + plyometrics on Monday, Wednesday, Friday) and biking Saturday and Sunday, I could just hop on the bike and ride. But now with the exercise schedule, my legs need quite a bit of warm up time. I thought the swimming would help keep my muscles loose.
Old 11-08-09, 08:44 AM
elader
Senile member

Bikes: Felt F2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
went riding with my next door neighbors, whom I just assisted in buying their first 'new-old' road bikes. Couple of weeks ago, they ran the Marine Core Marathon. Stephen ran it in 3'20". They seemed to have no problem riding 30 miles at a pretty good clip. I am hoping their asses are at least sore today :-)

They have really well developed calf muscels and superb aerobic fitness. That amazing heart capacity sure helped them on the climbs we did. That, and the fact that I am 205 and Stephen is 170.
Old 11-08-09, 08:51 AM
Blade-Runner
\m/

Bikes: Got a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They don't and I know this for sure. I just completed my yearly Air Force fitness test which included a 1.5 mile run. I ran the 1.5 miles in 9:17(m:s) which is great and all, but the next day I was barely able to walk. I've maybe ran 4 or 5 times this whole year, but bike (road & MTB) 400+ miles a month.
Old 11-08-09, 08:56 AM
rotti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my experience, it depends...lol.

Years ago my only form of training was cycling. I tried to run, and like everyone else, I had no legs. I couldn't even make it 3 miles in under 30 minutes. My legs just wouldn't go.

I got out of cycling and running for a year and returned to powerlifting...

Decided to get back in shape, and STARTED running. I was up to 4-5 mile runs 5 times a week. I decided to start biking again. It took a while (3 weeks) to get any kind of climbing legs. My running has dropped to 3 times a week, and I bike on a trainer 4 days (a.m.) and outside 2 hard rides per week. BOTH my running and cycling are improving at a surprising rate. I think it's because I have already established the running part first which made the transition to cycling easier, then trying to transition from a cyclist to running. IMO.

I sprained my ankle on a trail run and didn't run for a week, but rode with more intensity. I went for a run to test my ankle and smoked a pr on what was supposed to be an easy run. I think once you establish both, and can train them together, they will make each other better.

Also, I only really spin on the trainer for 60 minutes, and like I posted ride hard twice a week. I haven't been logging the BIG miles per week. Yesterday I went for a ride in stiff wind and beat my all time pr on the loop by 25 seconds. I set the old mark when I was riding over 200 miles per week and weighted 190. Yesterday I weighted 210 and have been riding about 50 outside miles per week. My legs are definetly stronger and I think running has a lot to do with it.
Old 11-08-09, 08:57 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
This may not answer your question but instead of running, try hiking. That type of activity is close to running and yet a bit easier on the knees. The type of hiking I am talking about is with a lot of technical skill climbing. It combines some elements of running and some elements of mountain biking.

The part of hiking that I don't like is the descent. That part is not kind to my knees. I have a tendency to want to run going downhill. What's fun is that hiking really requires specific shoes. I bought mine from REI and it does make a difference. Not a hiking boot but rather a trail shoe with less ankle support so that I can run a little.

Last edited by Garfield Cat; 11-08-09 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-08-09, 08:58 AM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Cycling uses the quads and glutes while running uses the hamstrings, glutes somewhat and the calves on toe-off(you should not be running on your toes). The quads get sore from running as they absorb the impact.

I found that cycling helped my running a great deal as I aged. In my mid 30 as I started to see a lack of recovery from hard running workouts, I started substituting cycling for some running and commuting to work and set new running PRs into my mid 40's.

Last edited by runner pat; 11-08-09 at 09:02 AM. Reason: fix typos
Old 11-08-09, 09:57 AM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no. in fact, tri bikes (where you move the seat forward) are designed to save your legs for the run. cycling is more quads and glutes, while running is calves and hamstrings.

Also the post above says "you should not be running on your toes" and i disagree. 9 out of 10 of the top marathon runners run on their toes alone, and the rest strike with neutral footing.
Old 11-08-09, 11:20 AM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I meant running on your toes, not forefoot striking. Most runners land heel first but almost flat footed, faster runners will land on the ball of the foot(just back of the toes) but again, the foot is almost flat.

In both cases, the whole foot makes contact with the ground but the point of initial contact varies. Running on the toes involves landing on the toes and the heel never touches down.
Old 11-08-09, 11:54 AM
MichaelW

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Its not only the muscle groups that are different for running; the stress you put on various ligaments and tendons is quite different. If you are starting to run after a long period of only cycling you may need a very slow and gradual buildup. Your cardio finess may even work against you since you have to run very gently, very little, for a few weeks to build up the conditioning. It can be very frustrating if your heart and lungs are ready for a five-miler but your feet are not.
Old 11-08-09, 11:54 AM
MarkSch

Bikes: Daniel Girard, Specialized Stumpjumper M2, Basso TT bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
running and cycling very definitely work differently for different muscles...agree with those who have commented earlier....I was a pro triathlete beginning in the mid 1980's before the advent of aero bars and the tri-position...very obvious coming off the bike at the start of the run.

The above comment on pace and where one strikes is very evident. As with cycling, the average runner (8 minute miles?) shouldn't base their running mechanics on what the 130 lb sub 5 minute mile Kenyan marathoner does....

Quads used in running much more in an eccentric contraction (shock absorber) on foot strike, which can be much more damaging to muscle fibers than the usual (and smoother) contraction in cycling.
Old 11-08-09, 12:52 PM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very different movements. Just try a run at your limits and you'll feel all the little muscles that riding neglects. That particular point is why I do core training that hits those muscles. I have a buddy who does triathlons and he points out that they're different activities. The joke is a triathlete is someone who's mediocre at three sports.

Last edited by kleinboogie; 11-08-09 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-08-09, 01:12 PM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Its not only the muscle groups that are different for running; the stress you put on various ligaments and tendons is quite different. If you are starting to run after a long period of only cycling you may need a very slow and gradual buildup. Your cardio finess may even work against you since you have to run very gently, very little, for a few weeks to build up the conditioning. It can be very frustrating if your heart and lungs are ready for a five-miler but your feet are not.
I learned this the hard way! I started running last winter when an injury forced me off the bike and I struggled through a few overuse injuries before I realized that my lungs were ready for way more than my feet and legs were.

Also, running is definitely not helping my cycling, but it's fun so I still do it in the winter. I'm still exercising six days a week (3 running, 3 cycling) but now people I used to drop on climbs are keeping up
Old 11-08-09, 01:59 PM
vontan

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 4.5 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a ton of articles in the archive at Runnersworld.com about how cycling helps to improve running. I started out mainly running and that was motivation for me to buy a new bike. I try to do both but find myself mainly doing one or the other for lack of time. When I increase my long run I sometimes get soreness in my quads for a couple days afterward. I don't mind running after dark but don't feel quite as safe after dark on the bike. There are no streetlights around here and when there's a car I get pretty blinded by the headlights. I could use the trainer but I have to keep it in the garage and it's so darned boring. I am trying to do a half marathon so for now I'm focusing on mainly running and the time change has only made matters worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.