Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mornings vs evening rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 11:40 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts

In all the sports that I have played, I have tended to be in a lot better physical form in the evenings - more strength, more energy, more endurance, faster recovery, etc. In the mornings, I tend to be a lot more lethargic and have relatively lower energy levels.

This lesson was driven home after today's ride - had a day off, so did a 65km early morning ride after a fairly decent breakfast of toast and eggs. Even fortified myself with a couple of packets of Gu en route. However, after 45-odd km, I was *wrecked* physically and could feel my internal gas tank at "empty" as I struggled to maintain a somewhat respectable speed to finish.

This has never been a problem during evening rides - 50km or thereabouts doesnt really require anything other than a couple of bottles of water and I am fine at the end of the ride as well (unlike today, when I am knackered and occasionally cramping).

I dont think I was as under-prepared from a fuel point of view as the results indicate, so I am thinking that the time of the day had a lot to do with it.

Now, I do recall reading a paper on this subject which said that some people peak physically during the evenings (mostly men) while others peak during the morning (women).

I am curious - does anyone else also have such a difference in their morning/evening performance? And is this something can be remedied via practice?

V.
Old 11-21-09, 12:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,446 Times in 1,957 Posts
I ride to work, so I get to do both morning and evening rides.
Old 11-21-09, 01:04 PM
WR3K

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe try waking up earlier to warm up more with your body, in the evening you have already had a whole day to move around and get the juices flowing

or getting more sleep, or pehaps getting LESS sleep.

if we get too much sleep we are left lethargic.

keep pre morning ride performance nights to around 6.5 to 8 hour sleep intervals.

but this ALL depends on the person so for you i may be different
Old 11-21-09, 01:18 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
I am definitely more energetic later in the day... at least when it comes to sporting activities.

Have also been a night owl since I was a little kid but I have observed a lot of this relates to the season and sunlight as well... when the days get really short I could just as well go into hibernation.
Old 11-21-09, 01:22 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I have the hardest time making efforts in the morning, except when it's a race (Prospects start at about 6:00-6:30 AM, but I have to get up at 4:00 to get there in time). Normally I don't wait 2 hours to ride, i.e. 4-6 AM.

With no 2 hour "breakfast, coffee, 'recover', and finally get on bike" time, I'm slow.

In the evening I am good - 1-2+ hours on the trainer, drink bottle of no-cal electrolyte stuff, water, and feel great.

I'd much rather ride at 11 PM and get up just before work than to ride at 5 AM.

cdr
Old 11-21-09, 01:24 PM
Uni-Vibe
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your chick is cute, you can ride any time.
Old 11-21-09, 02:29 PM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man up. Bike racing on the whole requites getting up at stupid o clock..
Old 11-21-09, 02:32 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I prefer to get up when the sun is in the Eastern sky.. Gives me more time before sunset and the risk of being without my light.. The exception - if it is super hot. You get better control over excess heat by going late in the day.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 11-21-09, 04:09 PM
Sardian
Wanna Be

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert, and Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although I rarely get to ride in the morning, I tend to have my best rides then.

My job is rather laborious so I'm already tired when I get home from work so this may be the reason. But, most of my riding is after work since that's the only time I have to ride.
Old 11-21-09, 08:38 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 277 Posts
I had a team mate who rode at 6AM every day during the week. He loved it. Me, I hate early mornings and just can't ride before 9 AM. I prefer to ride after work and have much more energy and motivation.
Old 11-21-09, 08:45 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
my best performances have happened in the early afternoon, just after a 15-20 minute nap.
Old 11-21-09, 09:01 PM
bobfromwaco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My afternoon/evening rides are much easier then morning. Takes about until 11:00 for my body to fully wake up. Guess it's age.
Old 11-21-09, 09:52 PM
shelleyspins
runs with scissors

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Helium, '07 Cervelo Soloist Team Ed, 1993 Klein Stage Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I LOVE my 6am cycling workouts - some mornings it's 6am spin classes and on the mornings when there's not a good spin class I do a 30 miles around the lake - mostly because I can't wake up without a good morning ride (go ahead, insert lewd comments here ______________ ; )

I wake up at 4:30 and eat then take a cat nap, get up, eat a little more and then go out for my ride - if I don't eat and/or nap I have a noticeable drop in performance.

I do a night ride (about 30 miles) every Tuesday night and on the way home we head up a 5 mile stretch of paved trail on a slow but steady incline. It's the perfect place to break away and the no drop ride usually splits into a few groups along the trail. A few weeks ago I was riding in the morning along the same trail at an avg pace of 20mph; I noticed during that night's ride that I was struggling to maintain an avg pace of 16mph. Ouch.
Old 11-21-09, 11:49 PM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't the OP from Andaman Islands or Sri Lanka. Here in the continent up north and vallye elevations from 5,000 to 7,000 ft where it's freezing in the evening and morning, it make sense to ride during lunch time. Anyhow as per the powermeter, it doesn't matter much for me really. Sometimes I am strong inthe AM sometimes in the evenings.

The other kind of riding, hmm... yeah it looks like the morning rides are more raw in nature, no talk, no drama and no prologue.
Old 11-22-09, 05:04 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I ride to work, so I get to do both morning and evening rides.
I do also, but I'll side with the OP, I always seem to be stronger in the mornings. Doesn't seem to make a difference what I do. I will say that my performance today will be directly related to how well I ate and slept yesterday. Very noticeably so.
Old 11-22-09, 06:01 PM
amerpie
On yer' left

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's hard to get motivated for morning solo rides. I'm stiff. It seems like it takes awhile for whatever I eat to start fueling my system. However, the adrenalin generated for the Saturday morning club rides nearly always banishes the previously mentioned excuses. In the evenings, I've usually spent the entire day looking forward to being on the bike. That anticipation does wonders in making work related fatigue seem non-existent.
Old 11-22-09, 07:18 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 277 Posts
What is this word..."nap"???
Old 11-22-09, 07:28 PM
BarryJo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I'm lucky in the sense that most days I work from home and as long as I block out time in my calendar I can ride when I want.
So I usually schedule 2 hours anywhere between 11-3:00 and then end up making up the time by working until 9:00pm.
In the Fall and Winter these times work best for me.
In the Spring and Summer I'm better at getting up for early morning rides (6:00AM)
Old 11-22-09, 07:31 PM
ScarcelyAware
Cyclist?

Bikes: Schwinn Fastback Sport 24 (2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't ride in the morning either. I was commuting on a road bike but the morning rides were killing me. I now take the bus to school, ride back, and sometimes push hard around town for a while before I come home.

Look on the bright side. If you end up riding at night, you burn more calories right before hitting the hay.
Old 11-22-09, 07:54 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some of my rides begin as early as 3am, which means getting up after maybe 2 hours sleep; some start at 7am. The "big events" like Paris-Brest-Paris have evening starts around 9pm. I'm not a morning person, so I actually don't mind the late/very early starts. Once I get going however, I find I have ups and downs with a good stretch generally in the late afternoon. On 2-day events though, this is probably due to "smelling the barn" towards the end.
Old 11-22-09, 09:55 PM
shelleyspins
runs with scissors

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Helium, '07 Cervelo Soloist Team Ed, 1993 Klein Stage Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
What is this word..."nap"???

Old 11-22-09, 11:00 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I commute to work 8 miles each direction. Night shift lasts from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Best of both worlds, and both rides are satisfying.
Old 11-23-09, 12:23 AM
Caad 8
Cat-5-O-Meter: Training

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Razor From KC

i enjoy both evening and morning. as long as it is warm.
I hate riding when its cold outside. It's like the last thing on my mind when it's chilly. I guess I need some warmers...
Old 11-23-09, 03:50 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 334 Posts
i like to have something in my stomach about 2-3 hours before intense exercise. riding at 6am means i need to be up and fed by 3-4am. doesn't work so well for me. if i get home in the evening around 5pm and get a quick bite, i am ready to go at 8pm.

or maybe i'm just an evening person. i hate missing out on morning/daytime rides because it's so much prettier but there are also way more cars during the day.
Old 11-23-09, 06:52 AM
saratoga

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Early morning- get it over with and move on with the day.

Evening rides curb my appetitie; as a result it's 8:30 or 9:00 before I'm hungry again and then I'm eating dinner right before bed which sucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.