Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How do you keep your morale up during the long dark of winter?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 07:47 PM
Minerva
Lone Ranger

Bikes: Trek 7200FX(unfortunately)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've had a few rougher than usual commutes these last few days. Necessary errands have forced me to add many miles to my commute (I do not have a car) and although my usual RT is 24, yesterday I logged 35 before I finally got home. This is my first winter commuting daily. In the darkest days of the year, with the bitter cold and dreariness of sunless days... how do you keep your morale up? What keeps you getting on that bike morning after morning? I'm proud to say that I've only gotten a ride 4 times since September 10th, but as we are heading into the the darkest and coldest part of the year now, and I need a serious morale booster. Does it get easier? Please share your coping strategies!
Old 12-16-09, 08:32 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I take a few days off and drive. Two days is about all it takes to make me totally stir crazy, grouchy and good to go on the bike for the rest of the winter.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-16-09, 09:06 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I enjoy riding in the dark, it gives a different perspective on the world.

We're coming up on the winter solstice, time to ride a century between sunset and sunrise.

Daylight will be back soon enough.
Old 12-16-09, 09:11 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I drive on days when the weather is cra*ppy. That way, I appreciate riding on the other days. I usually end up riding 3-4 days/week. I think I would end up dreading my commute if I rode on days when it's pouring rain, sleeting, ice storms, etc.

Another trick is to reward yourself. Do you have a coffee shop or restaurant you can stop at occasionally as a reward? Unfortunately, I don't on my commute unless I really go out of the way. There is, however, a nice ice cream shop, but I don't crave that much on cold winter days.
Old 12-16-09, 09:19 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I actually look forward to my commute (especially on my way home). I also like the idea of being different from my coworkers and not complain about traffic or the weather. What might keep you motivated Minerva would be the inspiration of other posters and the challenges they go through just to ride. I post here and sometimes on the Clyde/Athena forum and enjoy reading other peoples stories (Hit by car, I lost 150 pounds, recovering from injury, get in shape or miss my kids growing up, In Minnesota and love my -5 temps, etc.).

To me the key is not listien to the weather man and try not to take days off. I missed plenty a good ride because the forecast was wrong or it becomes easier to get in the car and go. Once you have the proper equipment and clothing it definetly is easier to keep riding.

I enjoy riding. It's hard to explain exactly why I do it. Other posters have served as inspiration to me, hopefully they can do the same for you.
Old 12-16-09, 10:08 PM
mikewille
Frame Catastrophizer

Bikes: Surly Instigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drugs, alcohol, music, and rewards at Starbucks and Caribou coffee along the way do it for me.
Proper cold-weather gear too, I like to imagine that no matter how crappy the weather gets, there's
a little human-shaped capsule of 90-degree summertime under my windproof shell and insulating layers.
Old 12-16-09, 10:11 PM
cyclefreaksix

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I enjoy it not being 106 degrees and not having sweat running into my eyes. Of course it rarely gets colder than 20 degrees here and ice and snow aren't an issue either...But none the less I try to enjoy the change in seasons.

Take a break if you need to, accept a ride or use public transportation.
Old 12-17-09, 07:47 AM
GodsBassist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beer. I hate the winter.
Old 12-17-09, 07:48 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Minerva, do you have goggles or sunglasses with yellow lenses? When I put those on, it feels like the sun comes out. It feels like visibility is better, too. But honestly, I enjoy the winter and winter weather except for the toll it can take on road conditions. I see more, especially in the morning.

Originally Posted by jputnam
I enjoy riding in the dark, it gives a different perspective on the world.

We're coming up on the winter solstice, time to ride a century between sunset and sunrise.

Daylight will be back soon enough.
Oooh, I really like this idea... totally crazy, and very tempting. I wonder if my wife will allow it!
Old 12-17-09, 07:55 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
The mornings are difficult sometimes. I found that I have to slow down on the colder days because of the excessive clothing. Pushing causes perspirations which can get cold. The evening commutes are never a problem.
Old 12-17-09, 08:02 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Christmas light ride

Something my friends and I did yesterday is a good way to do a fun ride this time of year. We met after work and did a Christmas light ride. We met near a very large subdivision and rode through the streets looking at Christmas decorations. Some of the lights were really spectacular. After riding 15 miles or so, we stopped at a neighborhood restaurant for pizza.
Old 12-17-09, 08:36 AM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone gets down because of the short days.

Yet I like my winter rides. It's quiet, although that might have to do with my bacalava covering my ears. I like seeing ice formations. I like to ride over them in my studded tires! I kind of like breathing the cold air. I usually get to see both the sunrise and sunset, which I like even with it covered by clouds. My greatest joy in the winter, however, is fresh fallen snow. It's very pretty and I love being the first to ride through it on our bike pathway.

Ice storms are pretty, too.

All that said, I still wouldn't bother if it wasn't for the possitive effect it has on my body. I keep the weight off, and this is the time of year when I gain weight, given that I'm indoors more often. I feel the endomorphins working, and want to keep feeling that joy.

Last edited by thdave; 12-17-09 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-17-09, 08:42 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I always liked riding during the wintertime, especially with today's foul weather gear. I look forward
for the time change in the Fall, even more so when I have a new lighting system I want to try out.
Old 12-17-09, 08:45 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Did a cold ride yesterday.. Took off a 3 degrees C.. Gloves , my thermals, warm socks , and a bacalava- I felt just fine.. Better than no ride at all. And certainly better than a trainer.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 12-17-09, 08:50 AM
NoSpandex

Bikes: 2009 Trek 7.1 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't come up with a good method yet; I usually try to hibernate, but this year I am desperately searching for a fun activity to do in the terrible snows and cold of northern Wisconsin. If I'm resigning myself to living up here, I can't just mope for 5 months out of the year.
Old 12-17-09, 09:01 AM
Foofy
Ha ha HA! Me likey bikey!

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"How do you keep your morale up during the long dark of winter?"

By getting out there regardless of the cold, saying to myself "people have endured far worse than this", and rewarding myself with coffee, food, or beer once I'm home.

Since the body conditions itself for the cold if you actually spend a lot of time in it, it always makes me feel like I've accomplished something cool when I can stand outside during some of these rediculously cold days and be comfortable, while everyone else is suffering outside. Makes me feel more relaxed at the idea of randomly riding to the grocery store or some other store, knowing that there's really not much to worry about.
Old 12-17-09, 09:20 AM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I moved from New York City to Atlanta Ga many moons ago so the cycling season really never ends for us down here. When it gets cold 30s or so, I just put on more layers and hit the streets. I'll often have this internal battle between body and mind just prior to mounting my trusty steed, but after the first block or so mind and body are one.
Old 12-17-09, 09:34 AM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Try and get some time out in the sun if you can. If you have the flexibility to arrive to work really early so you can leave when there's some daylight left or vice versa, it can help a lot. If not, run an errand over lunch on a sunny day.

Though the days are shorter, it can be amazingly bright in the winter when the sun is out and there's snow on the ground.

Truth is than in less than a week the days start getting longer again, so hang in there. I'm not familiar with the particulars of your climate. Here January is very cold but there's a fair share of sunny days (part of the reason it gets so cold). Take advantage when you can.
Old 12-17-09, 10:21 AM
SDr6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although I haven't been commuting very long, I love riding at night, everything seems quieter and I feel much more relaxed, the sunrises and sunsets are a great bonus, but I haven't seen below 40* yet.
Old 12-17-09, 10:25 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dress properly, eat properly, take a break when you need it, and get outside during the daylight.
Old 12-17-09, 10:59 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Necessity is my major motivator.

But sometimes I take the bus when I am feeling too listless to deal with an effort to get to work. The bus is it's own punishment and motivates me to ride.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-17-09, 11:47 AM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NoSpandex
I haven't come up with a good method yet; I usually try to hibernate, but this year I am desperately searching for a fun activity to do in the terrible snows and cold of northern Wisconsin. If I'm resigning myself to living up here, I can't just mope for 5 months out of the year.
Really the difference between tolerating winter and thriving in it is finding an outdoor winter activity to enjoy. Whether it's skiing, skating, snow boarding, broomball, pond hockey, skijoring, snow tubing, snowmobiling or even just sliding. Find something. I'd mention ice fishing but I'm not sure that qualifies as a real activity. As typically practiced, it's really just boosing on ice.
Old 12-17-09, 11:54 AM
ichitz
Nü-Fred

Bikes: Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the craziness and instability of the new york subway keeps me motivated.

On crappy days (slushy, rainy and cold) I'ld take the subway, and it reminds me all over again on how much I hate it.
Old 12-17-09, 12:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,611 Times in 2,359 Posts
maybe date a new guy who is also a bike commuter? nothing like a new relationship to perk things up!
Old 12-17-09, 12:14 PM
chrisb71

Bikes: 09 Jamis Aurora, 4 Giant ATX 870, 64 Schwin Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like someone said, I make sure to go out on the worst days. Then the rest of the days don't seem so bad. Also, I have been spending a lot on clothes I have finally got gear that I feel comfortable in, and studded tires. Now that I have the right equipment it's much more fun.

Plus the scale helps. I have been losing a lot of weight. The only downside is I'm so wrapped up in clothes people can't see me lol.
Tracking my weight, my miles and workouts, what I eat, and seeing the results keeps me motivated. Journaling all that lets me look back and feel good about what I've been doing. If I need motivation I look at my excel charts I also try to read some motivational stuff. Not deliberately motivational, but books on excercising or racing or biographies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.