Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

MEN ONLY.... Cold Weather Problems.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-09, 12:47 AM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

If adult discussions about anatomy offend you, you don't want to read any further. If not, scroll down.

Ok. So, you're not offended about frank discussions about male anatomy. Good.

I'm having a problem with the boys freezing during my nightly commute home when the conditions are cold and dry (wet, and I'll run for the local transit system). I'm not doing as well $$ this year, and I'm trying to keep my expenses down.

Anybody got suggestions on how to keep the twins happy on a budget?

Thanks
K'Tesh
Old 12-26-09, 01:03 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
When I've had problems in that area it's been frequently due to the wind cutting through my clothes. You may need to add a wind resistant layer.
Old 12-26-09, 01:18 AM
LesMcLuffAlot
Pedal faster not harder.

Bikes: Ummmm...Cannondale F4000..Ummmmm...Yeti ARC-X Cyclocross..Ummmm...Rocky Mountain Vertex TO with a BionX PL350 Electric Conversion...Ummmmm..Rocky Mountain Cardiac..Ummmm..thats it for now I think. I'd have to go look in the basement to be sure.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a common problem for male cross country skiers. There are undergarments with an additional area of windproofing at the dangleberries location. That said I have never experienced this problem while cycling. I find the padding in my cycling shorts provides insulation and additional wind protection above and beyond my long undies and what ever tights or pants I wear. You didn't mention what you do wear. If you do wear traditional padded cycling shorts you could look into buying a larger pair of boxer brief style cross country skiing wind briefs that would slip over your cycling shorts. See above photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
668_8990.jpg (16.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 12-26-09, 01:22 AM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
plastic grocery bag stuffed outside undies?
Old 12-26-09, 01:41 AM
barturtle

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't tried it yet, due to the weather not being quite cold enough on my rides yet, but I've heard that using a sock as an insulating layer in the front of your shorts can help quite a bit. I'd think this may work well, as it would keep the tight, wind chilled portion of the shorts away from the subject area. i'd think some thick wool would be in order, in this case.
Old 12-26-09, 01:47 AM
dauphin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
these look toastie

Old 12-26-09, 01:55 AM
HappyStuffing
6 miles per taco, w00t!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barturtle
I haven't tried it yet, due to the weather not being quite cold enough on my rides yet, but I've heard that using a sock as an insulating layer in the front of your shorts can help quite a bit. I'd think this may work well, as it would keep the tight, wind chilled portion of the shorts away from the subject area. i'd think some thick wool would be in order, in this case.
Let us clarify shall we? When you say "using" a sock do you mean actually wearing it around said dingleberries? Or just stuffing down the front of the pants?
Old 12-26-09, 02:02 AM
barturtle

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HappyStuffing
Let us clarify shall we? When you say "using" a sock do you mean actually wearing it around said dingleberries? Or just stuffing down the front of the pants?
As this is second hand knowledge, I'm not entirely sure, but the way I read it, it sounded like it was put down as a flat layer, like a woman's maxipad. However, if you current riding conditions warrant, try it both ways and report back. I would think that adding an extra external insulating layer while allowing the body to contribute warmth would work best, compared to isolating the unit from the body's heat.
Old 12-26-09, 02:22 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, 'll try to take a more serious tone here, although I will admit the first thought wasn't so serious

Are you wearing loose fitting clothing? My thought here is that unless you're wearing something that keeps the dangly bits tucked up tighter to the core of your body then they're probably indeed getting chilled. I wear briefs that Target sells billed as "Cycling briefs" which are thicker than the tighty whities you normally buy, and they have no hole for escape. They come in black, and run $8-9$ for two pairs in the stores. No issues here in sub 20 degree.
Old 12-26-09, 02:24 AM
agarose2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can purchase wind-resistant shorts/tights for cycling. Amphib products by Izumi work.
Old 12-26-09, 02:29 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
When I've had problems in that area it's been frequently due to the wind cutting through my clothes. You may need to add a wind resistant layer.
As I posted , I noticed LesMcLuff's comment below.. Yes, the wind seems to howl through the seams of my fleece lined bibs... I've noticed that numbing affect.. For cyclists' , Nashbar has had underdrawers specially for riding.. Only time of the year I don't go commando, and it's keeps ones parts warm... The only time I find a need for this lower level base layer is when it's below about 35...

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 12-26-09, 02:36 AM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
Ok, 'll try to take a more serious tone here, although I will admit the first thought wasn't so serious

Are you wearing loose fitting clothing? My thought here is that unless you're wearing something that keeps the dangly bits tucked up tighter to the core of your body then they're probably indeed getting chilled. I wear briefs that Target sells billed as "Cycling briefs" which are thicker than the tighty whities you normally buy, and they have no hole for escape. They come in black, and run $8-9$ for two pairs in the stores. No issues here in sub 20 degree.
I'm a total Fred. I'm wearing sweatpants... My legs can deal with the wind cutting through the material.
Old 12-26-09, 03:16 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
I'm a total Fred. I'm wearing sweatpants... My legs can deal with the wind cutting through the material.
Ok, but what underneath? Because sweatpants really don't afford much protection, and if you're going commando underneath it may be a lot of the issue. While nature will pull the boys closer to the core when cold, sometimes they need some help
Old 12-26-09, 04:03 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 367 Posts
You could just eliminate the source of the problem alltogether. Since you're on a budget your local vet should be able to eliminate the offending appendage very affordably.
Old 12-26-09, 04:23 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lou at Foxwear makes a great pair of warm, wind resistant, and water resistant over pants for $104.50. They are well worth the money, and will last a long, long, time. I was wearing mine in extremely windy conditions with temps of -15c and was toasty warm. I was totally surprised at the warmth of the pants. It's a one time investment for many years of comfortable cycling.

He also makes super warm long johns too.

https://www.foxwear.net/products_pants.html
Old 12-26-09, 04:30 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
Ok, but what underneath? Because sweatpants really don't afford much protection, and if you're going commando underneath it may be a lot of the issue. While nature will pull the boys closer to the core when cold, sometimes they need some help
Cotton sweatpants as a thermal insulator.. This guy must have grown up in the Arctic...

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 12-26-09, 08:02 AM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about a plastic daiper liner from the old days worn under the sweat pants? This would provide a good wind barrier, and plastic is good at trapping the air around the body and jewels, so the heat that is there wont escape.

This solution would have the further advantage of being within most budgets.

It would, however, also prevent the water from sweat from escaping, and may provide excellent conditions for the proliferation of crotch-rot.

Swings and roundabouts.

z
Old 12-26-09, 09:10 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
At very cold temps (below about 0*F) I generally wear bike shorts, then thermal underwear, then my standard lined running pants, which do stop the wind. That's worked for me pretty well. I've tried stuffing in a wool sock between the shorts and the underwear. It helps some. I only go that far below about -10*F.
Old 12-26-09, 09:24 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Newspaper works wonders as an additional insulating layer.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 12-26-09, 09:43 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
At very cold temps (below about 0*F) I generally wear bike shorts, then thermal underwear, then my standard lined running pants, which do stop the wind. That's worked for me pretty well. I've tried stuffing in a wool sock between the shorts and the underwear. It helps some. I only go that far below about -10*F.
Thermal longjohns, plus another layer or two of regular underwear under plain sweat pants works fine for me, at -15°F.

Sidenote:
I learned years ago, the hard way, about the advantages of plastic buttons over zippers at very low temperatures.
Old 12-26-09, 10:05 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a Fred. I hadn't noticed an issue. I wear briefs, longjohns, and Carhartt work pants. I have been playing with the idea of using my Rainmates as a windbreaker for my legs.
I generally don't ride below 0F (on purpose anyway)
Old 12-26-09, 10:16 AM
Kuma
hamster with funny pants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Lou at Foxwear makes a great pair of warm, wind resistant, and water resistant over pants for $104.50. They are well worth the money, and will last a long, long, time. I was wearing mine in extremely windy conditions with temps of -15c and was toasty warm. I was totally surprised at the warmth of the pants. It's a one time investment for many years of comfortable cycling.

He also makes super warm long johns too.

https://www.foxwear.net/products_pants.html
I have good experience with Lou's stuff, too. He made me some extra heavyweight cycling tights (200 thickness Polartec fabric) that I have worn over regular cycling shorts and been toasty at 10 degrees Fahrenheit. The ones he made me are not waterproof, so are not as expensive as the ones Ziemas has -- in the $40 - $50 range, as I recall. Prior to that, my boys had experienced the same problem as the OP.

Cheaper than that, I've read about how good an insulator newspaper is (as Human Car mentions), but never tried it. If you're only looking for a temporary measure, that might be good to try first.
Old 12-26-09, 10:21 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Human Car
Newspaper works wonders as an additional insulating layer.
The funnies maybe?
Old 12-26-09, 11:57 AM
ddez

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Back in my long distance running days,i found that on even cooler summer days,blood tends to go to parts doing the work(legs,heart) and leaves hands and the boys to fend for themselves. More than once i've stopped at wash rooms and stuffed some paper towels down there when running.I've even seen them hand out heated face cloths along the route on some runs for that purpose on cold runs.I use a wool sock just stuffed in there,takes care of that problem perfectly and packs light when not needed.
Old 12-26-09, 12:05 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 528 Post(s)
Quoted: 3271 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 1,478 Posts
I wear bike shorts and then a pair of thin non-padded tights, and that's been plenty warm for anything above 30. (I didn't ride on those few days in the 20's, so I don't know about that.) If you're intent on staying Fredly, jeans might be good enough. Or you could wear bike shorts under your sweatpants. No one would have to know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.