Notices

2010 BP MS150 training

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 09:49 AM
aggarcia

Bikes: 14 Ridely Noah RS, 09 Trek 2.1, 10 Trek 7.1 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 BP MS150 training

Just interested in what level of training those who are running the MS150 are doing? Are you working out during the week and weekend rides or just going to train hard the last month?
Old 01-18-10, 03:22 PM
H-Bear

Bikes: Scott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in A LOT better cycling shape this year than last, so my "training" won't be nearly as intense. Will start the recommended rides this weekend (Link) with 1 or 2 spin classes during the week. By late Feb, will do at least 50+ miles back-to-back on Sat and Sun to rebuild endurance.

Old 01-18-10, 04:29 PM
H-Bear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a great training schedule from last year (Link).

For a little background about my fitness. Around Oct or Nov of 2008, I got on a bike for the first time in +/- 20 years. I wasn't in great shape but wasn't in terrible shape either. Was anywhere from ideal weight up to 10, maybe 15 pounds overweight around the holidays. Around this time last year, I followed a comparable schedule but had more workouts. Ate a well balanced meal plan, with a HUGE increase in carbs, and even started to eat chocolate (never had a sweet tooth before but now drool when I see a Snickers). Not only did I lose body fat and weight, but this happened as my appetite AND eating increased.

Old 01-21-10, 01:25 PM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I will be doing 2-3 spin classes during the week, and riding 1-2 rides each weekend, mostly with the Conoco/Phillips series, but some with our team on on our own. Will be shooting for a longest couple of rides around 70-80 miles followed by 50-60 the next day sometime in late March/early April.
Old 01-21-10, 05:52 PM
aggarcia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also running the CP series. The first ride is Saturday.
Old 01-22-10, 08:21 AM
CranesInTexas
Getting Hooked on Cycling

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the CP series. Look for a big guy on a red Trek wearing a white UCLA jersey.
Old 01-22-10, 09:25 PM
rainycamp
Clipless faller

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Austin, Austin Cycle Camp is putting on training rides each Saturday morning. They'll boost the time on bike a bit each week (they don't count miles). Tomorrow's ride is only an hour. The training rides are open to everyone. I'll try it, to see if I like it. Otherwise, I will be increasing the distance of my long weekend rides each week leading up to the event. Will start working in some speed building rides in March for four weeks or so.
Old 01-23-10, 08:16 PM
aggarcia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the CP training ride this morning. Wow, there were riders everywhere. nice ride, well supported. Any one else ride a MS150 training ride today?
Old 01-25-10, 03:16 PM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
We did the 37 mile route on the CoP ride on Saturday and then did a 33 mile ride out of Fulshear on Sunday. That wind was brutal on Sunday. Really glad we decided to do the first 18 or so into it so we could end going downwind...
Old 01-25-10, 05:48 PM
Teeleton

Bikes: KHS Flite300 & Motobecane Nomade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also doing the CP series. I'm the blonde guy with the braided ponytail on the white/red KHS.

Teeleton
Old 01-26-10, 08:06 AM
H-Bear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by txags92
That wind was brutal on Sunday.
+1

I did the Frost Bank 50 and planned to ride the 55-mile route. At the 45/55 mile cutoff, I turned left for the 55-miler and that wind was BLOWING. Went about a mile, stuggled/mashed just to hit 10 mph, and said, "eff this!". Turned around and cruised at 24 mph with minimal effort.
Old 01-26-10, 04:03 PM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah, I understand that entirely. The wind didn't seem too bad going up 1093 towards Simonton or down 1489 to Orchard, but when we turned WNW towards Wallis on 36, it was howling. But the ride back down 1093 from Wallis to Simonton was fun.

Teeleton, I will be the big guy wearing the Orange/Gray/White "I Have MS, That's why I Ride!" jersey on a Gray Marin. Won't be there next weekend, but should be there most weekends after that.
Old 01-28-10, 11:18 AM
H-Bear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone else doing the Kingwood Fillies ride on Saturday?

Bike through the forest link

Recent email:

Wow, it looks like we are going to have a clear sunny day with near perfect conditions for an outstanding Bike Ride that has demanding hills, picturesque scenery and clean open roads. Not to mention the smiling faces of the National Champion Kingwood Fillies Dance/Drill team cheering you onward!

You can still register online @ www.Active.com. This will remain open until 10:00 pm this Friday night, 1.29.10.
I want to thank again everyone that has pre-registered, it appears that we are going to have a great turnout.

We are no longer taking mail-in forms, but to save time you may still go online @
www.kingwoodfillies.org and access our printable registration forms and bring the completed form the day of the ride. On this PDF form you may type directly onto the form, and print.

On the day of the ride, registration will begin promptly @ 6:30 am at the Courthouse. The registration fee is $35.00 payable by cash or check (no credit cards).

Bike Through the Forest and Hills is a BPMS150 recommend ride, therefore we do have MS150 Ride Marshall?s that will be conducting the ride, and they will also be enforcing all MS150 bike rules.

For your safety, we will have uniformed officers at all intersections. SAG wagons will be on the route plus four (4) rest stops with port-a-cans at each rest stop.

On behalf of the Kingwood HS Fillies Dance/Drill Team, thank you once again for participating in our ride.

Duane McPeak
Ride Director
bikedirector@kingwoodfillies.net
www.kingwoodfillies.org
Old 01-30-10, 07:53 PM
aggarcia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who rode in the CP series today? It was brutual with that 15 or so head wind. Factor in the extremely cold weather and it was tough riding. I was glad to get back into the truck for the ride home.
Old 01-31-10, 09:39 PM
waitforme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't ride the CP series but was out on the West side of town, as you say it was brutal. The combination of the wind and cold knocked nearly 2 mph off my normal average speed. Long hot bath was needed when I got home. I when out on Sunday for a recovery ride but 16 miles was all I could manage before the cold and general fatigue from Saturday caught up with me. It's supposed to be back to high 60's next weekend. This weather is driving me crazy!
Old 03-01-10, 06:10 AM
aggarcia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is everyone's MS150 training going? It has been cold and windy most weekends this year. Only 6 more weeks till the big ride.
Old 03-01-10, 03:21 PM
froggmann
No really...I flatted

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Expert, Felt SC1, Specialized Hardrock Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggarcia
How is everyone's MS150 training going? It has been cold and windy most weekends this year. Only 6 more weeks till the big ride.
I'm about 300 miles behind of where I'm at normally. Mother Nature has been tough on me this year. This is the worst cold/rain/wind combo weather that I can remember. I've had to log a ton of indoor trainer time, something like 40 hours, it sucks.
Old 03-01-10, 04:18 PM
Tyrell

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Training? Pfffft... I'm just gonna show up, rip the price tags off my gear and bike, and start pedaling.

Rode 64 miles in Austin this Sat with 3650 ft of climbing. I think I'm ready. However, my wife is going into labor tomorrow morning (induced) to deliver our first so we'll see how far off the wagon I fall in the next 6 wks!
Old 03-01-10, 05:57 PM
froggmann
No really...I flatted

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Expert, Felt SC1, Specialized Hardrock Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyrell
Training? Pfffft... I'm just gonna show up, rip the price tags off my gear and bike, and start pedaling.

Rode 64 miles in Austin this Sat with 3650 ft of climbing. I think I'm ready. However, my wife is going into labor tomorrow morning (induced) to deliver our first so we'll see how far off the wagon I fall in the next 6 wks!
Congrats bro, your life is about to change forever. Is it a boy or girl?
Old 03-01-10, 08:19 PM
Tyrell

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
It's a girl. Hope I can sleep tonight....we're both so excited!
Old 03-01-10, 09:29 PM
waitforme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyrell
It's a girl. Hope I can sleep tonight....we're both so excited!
Congrats and enjoy being a parent!
Old 03-02-10, 07:34 AM
aggarcia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your life will change with kids. Your free time will get shorter until she gets older. I speak from experience. Enjoy her while she is young. They grow up quickly.
Old 03-10-10, 11:57 PM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dont forget the Bluebonnet Express ride on March 28. My club puts it on (NWCC) and it's always really well run.

I'm not doing the ms150 this year, but this week will have about 12 hrs of riding for me... big week =\
Old 03-11-10, 09:35 AM
H-Bear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have two 70 mile rides this weekend: Brookwood and The Great Escape.

Those should give me a good idea of where I am fitness wise. If I'm miserable come Monday, hopefully a few Advils and beers will cure whatever ails me.
Old 03-11-10, 10:04 AM
aggarcia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CP series is riding out in Fayetteville on Saturday and Sunday riding the normal Sunday am ride. We are finally getting into nice cycling weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.