Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

SPDs or SPD SLs

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

SPDs or SPD SLs

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 07:19 PM
damnable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPDs or SPD SLs

Hi Everyone,

I don't actually commute yet but I am in the process of getting my stuff together to do so. It's going to be ~30K each eay but I can make it shorter. So I am gradually increasing my mileage and confidence while I get some gear together including racks and what not.

I'm going to be doing it on a road bike. I bought this bike second hand and it came with SPD SLs (road pedals) with cleats and shoes that don't fit me. I replaced them with Shimano 647s (mountain bike pedal with outer) and MTB shoes because I like the idea of being able to walk around easier and have the option of using non-cycling shoes with them.

Some months on, I am actually getting around to using them and the shoes look like they are starting to fall apart and I am taking them back for a warranty replacement. I am finding that I don't think I would really consider riding the bike without clipless pedals and shoes, as it's just so much more efficient.

So finally my question is, if I get replacement shoes, should I stick with the MTB shoes, or see if I can switch to road shoes and switch the pedals on the bike?
Old 01-29-10, 08:16 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I run SPDs on my commuter (Shimano A520s) and have mountain shoes (walkable) and road shoes (not so walkable) that are set up with SPD cleats. There are road shoes that will take 2 hole cleats (I use Pearl Izumi Vagabond) if you want to go that way. I also like the SPD SLs and run them on my road bike but the SPDs work better for commuting IMHO.
Old 01-30-10, 10:41 AM
cyclefreaksix

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like spd's on my commuter with double sided mtb pedals. I want to be able to run errands, shop, post office, etc and still be able to walk around like a normal human being.

Spd-sl on my road bike. When I wont be clipping in/out freq in traffic and I wont be walking much.
Old 01-30-10, 10:46 AM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
MTB shoes (SPDs) are walkable, road shoes (SPD-SL) are pretty much not.

Also, in my experience SPDs are easier to unclip from in an emergency situation. But SPD-SLs provide a much better pedalling platform, especially for longer rides.
Old 01-30-10, 10:51 AM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I rock/run/roll Crank bros eggbeaters on my Cross Check. Sometimes I want to have pedals that are two sided for street shoes, but the eggbeaters look so clean and simple.
Old 01-30-10, 01:06 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Go with SPD's. That's my vote.
Old 01-30-10, 01:36 PM
yetsukeng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crank bros during winter commute and on mountain bike for me. SPD-SL on road bike and for wormer days commute. I ride mostly trails on my commute and have to unclip only maybe 2 dozens times during my 20+ miles each way
Old 02-02-10, 10:54 AM
TheLifeOfBryan
down in the drops

Bikes: Miele Doral, Bianchi Boardwalk, Cannondale R300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The assumption that MTB-style shoes are more walkable than road-style shoes isn't always correct. I started off with Shimano MT31, and they suck. I still use them as my winter shoes, as they fit loosely enough for wool socks. But my new shoes, Shimano M076, are awesome. And even though they look much more road-like, they are much more walkable.
Old 02-02-10, 11:35 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yetsukeng
Crank bros during winter commute and on mountain bike for me. SPD-SL on road bike and for wormer days commute. I ride mostly trails on my commute and have to unclip only maybe 2 dozens times during my 20+ miles each way
OK, I'm jealous

A.
Old 02-02-10, 11:48 AM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfBryan
The assumption that MTB-style shoes are more walkable than road-style shoes isn't always correct. I started off with Shimano MT31, and they suck. I still use them as my winter shoes, as they fit loosely enough for wool socks. But my new shoes, Shimano M076, are awesome. And even though they look much more road-like, they are much more walkable.
Those are both MTB shoes. Road shoes would have the cleat completely below the sole. Some MTB shoes will be more walkable than others but they will all beat a road shoe with a fully exposed cleat.