Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Alfine shifter ... drop bars

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 10:05 AM
SlimAgainSoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've got a Rapidfire shifter working my Alfine internal-gear hub. This is mounted on flat bars.

I am building a new commuter that will have drop bars.

Anyone have luck mounting a Rapidfire on such a setup?
Old 01-31-10, 01:43 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Check out this and this.
Old 01-31-10, 02:14 PM
M_S

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You would have to bore out the shifter to make it work on the larger diameter of the road bars, or use one of the shifters adamrice linked to. Personally, I think 224 dollars is obscene for a shifter, and would go with the Jtech. Also, I have heard of mixed results using a friction shifter with IG hubs. Maybe someone else could elaborate on that point.
Old 01-31-10, 11:09 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Highly recommend the JTek. Currently running the J-Tek, Alfine 8 spd, Cane creek SR-5 levers, FSA wing pro bars. Beautiful, simple, comfortable, rugged.
Old 02-01-10, 03:31 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by M_S
You would have to bore out the shifter to make it work on the larger diameter of the road bars, or use one of the shifters adamrice linked to. Personally, I think 224 dollars is obscene for a shifter, and would go with the Jtech. Also, I have heard of mixed results using a friction shifter with IG hubs. Maybe someone else could elaborate on that point.
The way I remember it is friction works well for old sturmey archer 3 speeds, poorly for everything else.
Old 02-01-10, 05:27 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
AEbike lists the Versa Brifter set for $180 per a Google search. I am personally using the Jtek shifter on a drop bar Alfine hub road frame and like it a lot.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 02-02-10, 07:27 AM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't found anything Jtek except bar-end shifters.

They seem to have stopped making the brake-shifter version ... I'll keep looking.
Old 02-02-10, 07:28 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 585 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Sparing you some of the details here, but I cut a handlebar in two, somewhat right of center; inserted a section of thinner tubing, held in place with set screws tapped into the wall of the bar, and mounted the Nexus twist shifter on the thinner tubing, so it's on straight section at the top of the drop bar. It was a fair amount of work, but the result is pretty convincing. One of these days I'll take photos....

Before that I had the Nexus twist shifter mounted on a straight bar, to which I added 'drop bar' ends. I put road brake levers in the drops as with a normal drop bar. This worked flawlessly, but I disliked the way the drop bar ends attach at the end of the straight bar, which was very inelegant. There's a picture of it somewhere... I think in C&V.

I tried to order the JTek bar end shifter in December or so, got a very nice email from the owner; they were all out of stock and unsure of when production would start up again. I believe it will; just not sure when.