Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I felt so trapped and helpless

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 12:46 PM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My dad gave me a ride to pick up a package today and on the way back we were stuck in traffic. I hadn't been out in a car at that time of day for a long time, and I won't again for a long time! It was awful. I could have been home in less than 1/2 the time on my bike. I felt so helpless and trapped inside the car, none of the free feeling I have on the bike.

*sigh* I don't know how so many people can do it every day.

Daven
Old 02-05-10, 12:52 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That's why they invented cell phones.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-05-10, 12:54 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
It is a weird feeling... thinking... wow, just stuck here, in a box. I can see how some motorists just go quietly insane...
Old 02-05-10, 01:37 PM
buzzman
----

Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I'm on a very busy work schedule this year and last Sunday I figured it was a good day to give the body a break from riding 7 days a week and drive in to work. OMG! A Sunday and I got nailed in traffic as soon as I got downtown. Then as I approached the theatre I'm working at I became a victim of our own success- it's a 900 seat house and our show is selling out- not a parking space to be found for a 4 block area around the theatre- had to park in a garage and was late for my 1/2 hour call- a major no-no in the theatre.

Ended up costing me $20 ("event" parking rate!), $4 in tolls, a total of 7 mins. longer than when I bike the 8 mile ride and in a really bad mood and not "warmed up" to perform.

That did it for me.
Old 02-05-10, 02:24 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daven1986
I felt so helpless and trapped inside the car, none of the free feeling I have on the bike.
Put a foldable bike in the trunk of every car you get ride from and you won't feel trapped anymore
Old 02-05-10, 02:39 PM
mondaycurse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never get too backed up in my small town, but I still feel like a drone when I'm backed up 2 blocks at a four-way intersection.
Old 02-05-10, 03:59 PM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Couldn't really use a foldable bike as my dad was giving me a lift, that would have been a bit unfair to leave him there!!
Old 02-05-10, 04:04 PM
wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is a song for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gKwjxF7ilI

N. Young Helpless
Old 02-05-10, 04:13 PM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
That's why they invented cell phones.
nothing beats a booty call in rush hour traffic.

now you know and knowing's half the battle.

G.I. JOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Old 02-05-10, 04:29 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I felt the same way last week when I had to take the subway downtown. It's been a few months since I last took it and I was startled to share an enclosed space with strangers. I must've looked like an out of towner looking out the window, peering into the dark tunnel, and reading all of the ads. I brought a book but I was so surprised to see ads I didn't recognize I read several of them instead of my book for a few minutes. Yet all along the way I thought "ohhhhh I'd rather be on my bike!".
Old 02-05-10, 04:56 PM
johnr783

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had that same feeling last week as I drove home from school. It was cold and wet. I can ride in the cold. I can deal with the wet, but the cold and wet. . . I dont know how long it took me to get home but traffic was backed for about 3/4 mile or more.

I rode the same route today and it felt great! What felt even better was flying past that 3/4+ mile backed up traffic. I had to resist the urge to stand up and pat my bum at all the cars.
Old 02-06-10, 07:01 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I start work next week and will have to take public transport on Monday until I get my security pass - then I can use the gym on Tuesday so I will be cycling - public transport really bugs me, it is too expensive, too crowded, too slow, too smelly, etc.! Cycling spoils us I think!
Old 02-06-10, 07:23 AM
labrat

Bikes: Bianchi Road bike, Nashbar Ultegra triple cyclocross, Raleigh full XT hybrid, lugged steel Schwinn, Full rigid Diamondback MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gee, it's kind of interesting how the cycling world wonders how the motoring world does it without going insane when most of the motoring public thinks I'm insane for commuting through the winter.
Old 02-06-10, 09:59 AM
Minerva
Lone Ranger

Bikes: Trek 7200FX(unfortunately)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reacting differently to being in a car after cycling everywhere is something I've noticed too. I am always a passenger now that I got rid of my car, but nevertheless, I am a changed person. I now get car sick - something that hasn't happened since I was a kid. I feel like I always have to have the window open. If I can't feel the wind on my face, I feel nauseated and dizzy. I can't tolerate the fast changes that happen in traffic - I seem to hyper-react to things like late-braking and unplanned lane changes. It takes me a little bit to get accustomed to the speed. And traffic makes me really anxious - I haven't had to deal with traffic in a very long time so sitting in traffic in a car can seem painfully slow and inefficient. Having formally been a person who drove everywhere, people have asked me if I miss driving. I can honestly say I don't. Sometimes I see the value in being a passenger in a car for some trips, but I in no way have any desire to drive one.
Old 02-06-10, 10:02 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 433 Times in 298 Posts
My dad gave me a ride to pick up a package today and on the way back we were stuck in traffic. I hadn't been out in a car at that time of day for a long time, and I won't again for a long time! It was awful. I could have been home in less than 1/2 the time on my bike. I felt so helpless and trapped inside the car, none of the free feeling I have on the bike.

Daven
No you know why some people call them cages.
Old 02-06-10, 10:35 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Minerva
Reacting differently to being in a car after cycling everywhere is something I've noticed too. I am always a passenger now that I got rid of my car, but nevertheless, I am a changed person. I now get car sick - something that hasn't happened since I was a kid. I feel like I always have to have the window open. If I can't feel the wind on my face, I feel nauseated and dizzy. I can't tolerate the fast changes that happen in traffic - I seem to hyper-react to things like late-braking and unplanned lane changes. It takes me a little bit to get accustomed to the speed. And traffic makes me really anxious - I haven't had to deal with traffic in a very long time so sitting in traffic in a car can seem painfully slow and inefficient. Having formally been a person who drove everywhere, people have asked me if I miss driving. I can honestly say I don't. Sometimes I see the value in being a passenger in a car for some trips, but I in no way have any desire to drive one.
I am not quite as bad as you, but I see where you are coming from. Seeing how inefficient traffic is, makes me think that perhaps if more people were made to ride a bike before taking their driving test they would appreciate this and we'd get more people riding.

You get too used to being caged up and being away from the elements. I have found that since I started cycling I am much happier to go out in the rain and snow etc. as I am so used to riding in them. People have become soft, getting them on a bike will harden them up a bit

I do find myself bracing for potholes when I'm in a car!
Old 02-06-10, 11:03 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every time I take subway I feel trapped. When I'm stuck in my car in the traffic I feel trapped too. That's why I only drive on weekends or late nights to avoid traffic and commute by bike as much as I can. When I ride a bike I feel free to go wherever I want to go

A.
Old 02-06-10, 11:22 AM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genec
It is a weird feeling... thinking... wow, just stuck here, in a box. I can see how some motorists just go quietly insane...
For sure. As a cyclist it's a great idea to learn when traffic frustration can cause motorists to become irrational, and how to work around that. In my neighbourhood in Vancouver BC Canada traffic gets really backed up in the afternoons, and you can just taste the frustration in the air. In situations like that I'm extra vigilant at backed up intersections for people angrily making no-look right turns to try a different through street, people looking for an excuse to flip out at a cyclist, etc. Not that there's any kind of excuse for that stupidity, but it is definitely a good idea to just sort of go around it.
Old 02-06-10, 11:29 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very true mander, however it is also fun to take that time, when traffic is really gridlocked, to quietly (or otherwise) mock the drivers stuck in it!
Old 02-06-10, 12:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,650 Times in 1,111 Posts
I would suggest that if any of the posters are really suggesting that their cycling habits have resulted in them now suffering from various mental problems (i.e. trapped and helpless) whenever they are in a motor vehicle should do two things:
1. Get some professional help;
2. Keep this bad news story to yourself and don't use your "cycling caused" mental condition to promote cycling.
Old 02-06-10, 01:06 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Daven
Goodness, it really isn't that serious.
Old 02-07-10, 07:47 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Obviously I wasn't sitting in the car itching and clawing at the doors to get out. I just felt that it wasn't very efficient and that I'd be much better off on my bike. But that wouldn't have made such a good thread title; "Car is inefficient in a city".
Old 02-07-10, 08:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,680 Times in 2,381 Posts
now that I ride a bike to work sometimes - when I drive, I simply go out of my mind
Old 02-07-10, 09:07 AM
Dahon.Steve

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Minerva
I seem to hyper-react to things like late-braking and unplanned lane changes. It takes me a little bit to get accustomed to the speed. And traffic makes me really anxious -
When I'm a passenger in a car, I no longer want to sit in the front like before. It's just too nerve racking when you're no longer in control with all the near misses a motorist experiences each time they are driving. Even when I'm in the bus, I don't look at the front window because the motorist are taking so many chances trying to "beat the slow bus" it's downright scary. You really have to get used to those ever frightening moments that happen on every drive but this takes time. The motorist just don't understand what the non-motoring individual experiences because they are not used to the speed.
Old 02-07-10, 09:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,650 Times in 1,111 Posts
Obviously I wasn't sitting in the car itching and clawing at the doors to get out. I just felt that it wasn't very efficient and that I'd be much better off on my bike. But that wouldn't have made such a good thread title; "Car is inefficient in a city".
So for effect you made yourself out as a loony; got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Now what about the other responders on this thread who claim that bicycling has made them "helpless and trapped" when in a motor vehicle - just so much more hot air rhetoric or real basket cases?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.