Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Supplements

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Supplements

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 08:48 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Supplements

When I first started riding, I was in weight loss mode, and took off well over 40 lbs within a few months. I noted that since I wasn't eating right, I was eating to loose weight, not to provide energy, that about 10 miles into a ride, I would just crash. I began to eat better, and saw a pretty immediate difference in my energy levels, but still seemed to be lacking. On the suggestion of a friend, I started taking a protein based supplement, as well as various vitamins that were suggested both by a member here (salts) as well as an energy blend that was recommended by the health store.

I have noticed a tremendous increase in my energy and strength. The muscleature on my injured leg has increased significantly over the past couple of weeks, and I can feel a nice power gain from it. I have also noted that I am putting on weight again. I am pretty certain that comes more from reduced riding. The weather has been pretty crappy the past two weeks. Muscle also weighs more than fat, so it just goes to follow that as I get stronger I will come to a point to gain weight.

All in all, and to get to the point.....do any of you others take any manner of supplements as an aid to your "workout"? If so, what are you taking? Should I be looking at supplements with creatine, protein, ect.? At what point, taking these, will the weight gain from them (the protein in particular) outweigh the advantage in accelerated muscle build?
Old 02-15-10, 08:55 AM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just take protein but thats mostly from habit from my weight lifting days. i've also noticed that recently i'm getting leaner but weighing more. i think its muscle mass as well.
Old 02-15-10, 01:47 PM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Always take a good quality multivitamin and a good quality protein consisting of protein concentrates and/or protein isolates. Don't believe the saying that "protein is protein" because it's just not true. Some proteins are filtered down more than others, some get absorbed into the body faster than others and some get used by the body more efficiently. Like casein protein, it's low quality, absorbs very slowly (which is why the more serious lifters take it at night). Also, on a good quality protein you will not gain sloppy weight, the opposite is true. You can lean out on protein because the body will burn more calories trying to break it down than is actually in it. Also, it will make you feel full, almost acting as an appetite supressant. Now the vitamins. I don't care if you take Flintstones chewables, it's better than nothing. As you're riding or working out your body is using the vitamins and minerals as fuel and they need to be replenished so it doesn't start eating itself. Good luck.
Jon
Old 02-15-10, 02:00 PM
NickDavid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I first started riding, I was in weight loss mode, and took off well over 40 lbs within a few months. I noted that since I wasn't eating right, I was eating to loose weight, not to provide energy, that about 10 miles into a ride, I would just crash. I began to eat better, and saw a pretty immediate difference in my energy levels, but still seemed to be lacking. On the suggestion of a friend, I started taking a protein based supplement, as well as various vitamins that were suggested both by a member here (salts) as well as an energy blend that was recommended by the health store.
If you can't get all of your nutrients by eating normal foods, then a protein or carbohydrate supplement is great. Remember that with endurance sports, carbs are more important than protein.

I have noticed a tremendous increase in my energy and strength. The muscleature on my injured leg has increased significantly over the past couple of weeks, and I can feel a nice power gain from it. I have also noted that I am putting on weight again. I am pretty certain that comes more from reduced riding. The weather has been pretty crappy the past two weeks. Muscle also weighs more than fat, so it just goes to follow that as I get stronger I will come to a point to gain weight.
What supplement are you taking?

Putting weight on? It's likely that the weight is fat and not muscle. It takes tons of work and calories to add muscle weight.

All in all, and to get to the point.....do any of you others take any manner of supplements as an aid to your "workout"? If so, what are you taking? Should I be looking at supplements with creatine, protein, ect.? At what point, taking these, will the weight gain from them (the protein in particular) outweigh the advantage in accelerated muscle build?
I would not take creatine, as this will make you hold water weight. All of these supplements are arguable, but if it works for you, then take them.

You won't gain weight simply from taking a protein supplement. I would just use this as an aid in muscle recovery.

I use Gaspari Nutrition's MyoFusion. Tastes really good to. I used to take WaxyMaize as a carb, but found it to do nothing but make me gain weight.

There's no secret to this stuff and people waste so much money on it.
Old 02-15-10, 02:04 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
I use some offerings from Hammer Nutrition. Everything I have used has worked well for me. Mainly I use their Daily Insurance Caps as a multi-vit. Also - PSA Caps, Endurolytes, etc

Old 02-15-10, 06:11 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Nick,

I would have to go look at the bag to be certain, but something along the lines of wheybolic 60 from GNC. In addition I am taking an energy/recovery pre-post workout blend. Once again I would have to look at the package to be sure what the name was, but it is various Vitamin B, creatine, antioxidents, etc. I also take calcium, magnesium, potassium, and a multivitamin (which doesn't contain enough of the salts).

You are likely right, that I am picking up fat. About two weeks ago I changed my eating habits a bit and the weather has been pretty crappy the past couple of days. As far as the energy increase, it very well may be a placebo effect, I think it's working, and it is, but the increased muscle build is very noticable. Your mention of the creatine causing the muscle to hold water would account for that I suppose?
Old 02-15-10, 06:55 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good whole food multivitamin is a good base. Add two tablespoons of cod liver oil, digestive enzimes and pro biotics and thats your foundation. the digestive enzymes help your body better use the food you consume. The pro biotics replace the good bacteria in your digestive tract. During a ride you'll need something lke Psimet said above, and after the workout you have about an hour to replace what your body has just used up, so a good quality lean protien, low glycemic carbohydrate, and some of the good, healthy fats (the Omega 3, 6, 9) would be the best balanced meal. Example: fish, salad, serving of fruit or fruit smoothie.

If you don't take in some fuel when you ride, you will bonk out. So pick a hammer product, cytomax, or something else like that. Plain water is good for hydration, but it won't replace what you are using up during the ride. Amounts vary per individual and body weight as to how much fluid you should consume per hour on a ride.

And, don't forget sleep. Your body must rest in order to recover properly. That means good quality sleep each night. Perhaps a Co-Q 10 before bed too. Your body rebulds cells each day, and cells die every day. The new cells can only be made out of what you put in your body, so put crap in, get crap. You really are what you eat.

Just my opinions, which are parroting opinions of Doctors and cycling coaches. To each his own.
Old 02-15-10, 08:03 PM
kindablue
Fly on the wall

Bikes: a few

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmm nobody has spoken for it yet, so I guess I'll chime in.

I'm a believer in the whole foods diet (not the store, but I like that place too). Its the philosophy of cooking your own food and learning where you body gets its fuel from (calcium, potassium, good fats, carbs, etc...). One of my favorite post run/ride snacks is a glass of chocolate milk and a banana. Personally, I feel that people underrate how helpful a wholesome mostly from scratch diet can be.

Before I get flamed, I should point out that I don't have a problem with all these work out foods, supplements, and pills, I just think they are overrated. Imo, the majority of people would better benefit from a natural diet.

p.s. I use the span of cliff products as needed on long hauls. Cliff gels for runs over 13 mi, random fruit and cliff bars (I suppose I should try shots too) for longer rides.
Old 02-15-10, 08:08 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22724 Post(s)
Liked 9,090 Times in 4,225 Posts
IMO the majority of supplements are designed to lighten the buyer by lightening his/her wallet.

Just eat a well balanced diet.

For on-the-bike nutrition there are many options, just be sure to stay hydrated and replace some electrolytes especially on rides longer than 2-3 hours.
Old 02-16-10, 05:15 AM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kindablue
Hmm nobody has spoken for it yet, so I guess I'll chime in.

I'm a believer in the whole foods diet (not the store, but I like that place too). Its the philosophy of cooking your own food and learning where you body gets its fuel from (calcium, potassium, good fats, carbs, etc...). One of my favorite post run/ride snacks is a glass of chocolate milk and a banana. Personally, I feel that people underrate how helpful a wholesome mostly from scratch diet can be.

Before I get flamed, I should point out that I don't have a problem with all these work out foods, supplements, and pills, I just think they are overrated. Imo, the majority of people would better benefit from a natural diet.

p.s. I use the span of cliff products as needed on long hauls. Cliff gels for runs over 13 mi, random fruit and cliff bars (I suppose I should try shots too) for longer rides.
i completely agree but in my case, i'm what would be called a very picky eater and culinarily challenged so its hard for me to get everything i need from food. supplements are quick and easy.
Old 02-16-10, 06:54 AM
Smallguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do take a multi-vitamin and some protein post workout

IMO post workout is he most important time to get a good protein source and Whey is one of the more fast acting proteins I know of
Old 02-16-10, 01:00 PM
Dilberto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
I'm hypertensive so I take:

-Chromium Picolinate 400mg
-Vitamin E 400IU
-Vitamin C 1000mg
-Niacin 500mg
-L-Arginine 500mg
-Fish oil/Omega 3 2000mg
-Multivitamin w/ plant sterols
-Calcium 600mg + D
Old 02-16-10, 01:20 PM
EmersonHart13

Bikes: A Huffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take a multi almost every day and Scivation Whey Protein.
Old 02-16-10, 01:22 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by Dilberto
I'm hypertensive so I take:

-Chromium Picolinate 400mg
-Vitamin E 400IU
-Vitamin C 1000mg
-Niacin 500mg
-L-Arginine 500mg
-Fish oil/Omega 3 2000mg
-Multivitamin w/ plant sterols
-Calcium 600mg + D
Why are you taking vitamin E? Extra vitamin E has shown to increase the risk of heart attack.

Just because it's a "vitamin" and "natural" does not mean it's all good.

Just sayin'.
Old 02-16-10, 01:29 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
If you're old with bad knees like me (mostly caused from prior extra poundage), MSM and Gelatin are helpful. My knees used to lock up. Now I have no issues.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 02-16-10, 01:30 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
I personally have not noticed any difference that a general multi vitamin makes in any aspect of cycling.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-16-10, 01:50 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

If you eat a balanced diet, you probably don't "need" any supplement for cycling.

If you have arthritis, glucosamine and maybe MSM are reasonable to try.

If you have mutiple risk factors for heart disease or stroke, taking an aspirin daily is a good idea....but this has nothing to do with cycling anyway.
Old 02-16-10, 04:54 PM
Seedy J
ボケ

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drink a smoothie with Savas "Weight Down" soy protein after a ride. I probably get enough carbs (really ought to check properly one day), but I don't get nearly enough protein in my diet. Seems to be working for (or at least not hurting) me - I'm getting faster and losing weight.
Old 02-16-10, 05:00 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Seedy J
I drink a smoothie with Savas "Weight Down" soy protein after a ride. I probably get enough carbs (really ought to check properly one day), but I don't get nearly enough protein in my diet. Seems to be working for (or at least not hurting) me - I'm getting faster and losing weight.
Well there's my problem.

I'm getting fatter and not losing weight.

Old 02-16-10, 06:17 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I personally have not noticed any difference that a general multi vitamin makes in any aspect of cycling.
when i started cycling i started getting sick all the time. always had a runny nose, stuffy nose, fevers about twice a month. i started taking a multivitamin and i stopped getting sick. i hadn't been sick for probably 5 years prior to cycling and haven't been sick in about 4 months now. it might be a fluke but i'm going to keep taking the vitamins.
Old 02-16-10, 06:19 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Yaniel
when i started cycling i started getting sick all the time. always had a runny nose, stuffy nose, fevers about twice a month. i started taking a multivitamin and i stopped getting sick. i hadn't been sick for probably 5 years prior to cycling and haven't been sick in about 4 months now. it might be a fluke but i'm going to keep taking the vitamins.
I suspect it is a fluke, but no harm (in general) taking the multivitamin.
Old 02-16-10, 07:00 PM
CHAS

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my friend was diagnosed with rectal and kidney cancer they asked him whether he took vitamins and to stop if he did.
Vitamin use is being discouraged by many doctors. Not sure the link between the vitamins that come in the bottles and cancer is established by many doctors seem to think so.
That includes the orthopedic doctor I go to.
Old 02-16-10, 07:11 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

^^ only one I know of with good science is that a study in smokers showed that taking beta-carotene INCREASED the risk of lung cancer.
Old 02-16-10, 09:08 PM
kindablue
Fly on the wall

Bikes: a few

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yaniel
i completely agree but in my case, i'm what would be called a very picky eater and culinarily challenged so its hard for me to get everything i need from food. supplements are quick and easy.
I'm not going for a Botto like insult, I promise!

Buy The Joy of Cooking, its pretty much the Cyclist's Bible for the kitchen!
--> I'd say around half of the stuff in there is simple enough. One of the trickier skills is browning stuff on the stovetop, because success is very dependent on your heat. Baking or "one pot wonders" are a good starting point.

And... to learn to like new foods, you should introduce them bit by bit into what you eat. E.g. onions. try them raw on chili, cooked with stirfry, caramelized on a burger, fried in an onion ring, etc... eventually you'll learn to like and even want the the taste in certain foods.

Shameless shill I know, but I'm all about promoting food diversity.
Old 02-16-10, 09:17 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At my age I forgo supplements and now take preservatives.