Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My first road bike, can I haggle on the price?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 09:14 PM
Scott4957

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In the coming weeks I hope to buy both my Wife and myself our first road bikes. I have been to about a half dozen LBS and looked or road everything offered in our price range. I have made a decision on what shop I want to use due to their great customer service and knowledge. The only thing left is choosing the bike and getting the right price. I have had my eye on a Cannondale CAAD9 7. They have several of the 2009 models, and are asking $900. I have seen people post that they have purchased these for 100-150 less, and that was in the 2009 season. Should I be asking for a better price, or is it worth it considering they give me an extensive fit test that takes over an hour, tune the bike and do free tuneup's for life?

Thanks for your help.

Scott
Old 02-15-10, 09:20 PM
MuddyMo
2009 Tarmac Elite

Bikes: 08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By no means is the LBS obligated to reduce the price..... however..... you never know unless you try.... just be tactful.
Old 02-15-10, 09:21 PM
hammond9705

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
You will often do better to ask for free or discounted accessories rather then a discounted price on the bike
Old 02-15-10, 09:25 PM
7bmwm3gtr

Bikes: Trek 2.1, CAAD10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a rip-off, one of my LBS has a 2009 Caad9 6, which is one level better than a Caad9 7, for $849.

You should show them this (look at the bottom of Road Bikes):
https://www.goridebicycles.com/Site/Closeoutlist.htm

You should at least get the price down to $750-$800.
Old 02-15-10, 09:26 PM
Scott4957

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know, I had one LBS tell me he could do better if I bought both bikes from him, so that is what made me think about it. I usually buy everything on-line and save tons of money. Buying our first road bikes is not something I want to cut corners on, I want to make sure the LBS has my back and will take care of me so we can have the best experience possible. Maybe some free helmets, the ones we looked at were about 40 bucks. I just can't help my self when I see someone paid 800 at their LBS and mine wants 900

Scott
Old 02-15-10, 09:29 PM
donreb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I can say is my local bike shop has some 2009 CAAD9 7, and they told me 720.00, I chose a 9 6 for 840.00. Hope this helps, and good luck!
Old 02-15-10, 09:31 PM
Atol

Bikes: CAAD9-6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get at least a CAAD9-6. You'll regret buying Sora components later.
Old 02-15-10, 09:51 PM
Nick29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
according to bicycling.com, MSRP on that bike was $940. $40 less than MSRP is way too much to pay for a bike, especially considering it's last year's model. The fact that you're buying two bikes should definitely work in your favor as far as negotiating the price, but $900 shouldn't be the starting point for that negotiation.
Old 02-15-10, 10:08 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I can understand that it is a previous years bike, but would you haggle a price on something in Target or any other store?

I don't get why it is different with a bike.
Old 02-15-10, 10:11 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12937 Post(s)
Liked 7,851 Times in 4,171 Posts
I haggled some clearance energy drink at the Shell station the other day. On sale for $1.50, I got it down to $1.00. If you're lucky enough to get a manager on the floor at Target, you might be able to pull off something like that.
Old 02-15-10, 10:12 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Are you kidding me? I tried to buy a $35 stanley thermos at Target with a broken handle and four dents in the "unbreakable" thermos. She (the manager) said the most she can do is 5% off. She'd be lucky to sell it for 10.
Old 02-15-10, 10:17 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Nope. I'm in there all the time, so they give me deals. Much easier to talk to the manager there. During the day there are typically two grunts and one manager. Much lower odds at Target. What, 28 grunts and two managers, maybe.

I've never seen a bike on clearance at Target, but most of their clearance stuff is such a light markdown, I bet they'd go even lower.

I can usually get 9 chicken wings for the price of 6 at the 7-11, too.

Never have haggled on bikes. My two new bike purchases were last years models, pretty good discounts.
Old 02-15-10, 10:21 PM
mzeffex 

I didn't have to haggle on my bike. Pro deal works. Before I worked at my shop though, when planning to get a bike (an allez at the time) I did get them to match another local store.
Old 02-15-10, 10:23 PM
Nick29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mzeffex
I can understand that it is a previous years bike, but would you haggle a price on something in Target or any other store?

would you pay sticker price for a car without any questions?

It doesn't matter why it's different. The fact is it is different, and the MSRP and prices asked for things like bikes and cars are set to take that into account. The bike shop is under no obligation to sell a bike for any price (barring some agreement with the manufacturer), and the customer has every right to say "I'm not willing to pay that much, but this is how much I am willing to pay."

eta: if Target is selling a year old TV, I'd expect it to be significantly discounted too before I'd consider buying it.
Old 02-15-10, 10:28 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Yeah, OP, unless you live in an expensive city (NY, SF, etc) you should be able to get a lower price.
Old 02-15-10, 11:58 PM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You like their customer service, they do a fit, and lifetime of tuneups.... and somehow $900 is too much? You looking for more value or you gonna haggle just to haggle?

Don't be surprised if they say "Nay." Working in retail, hagglers are a huge pet peeve of mine.... especially since I can't do jack about it.
Old 02-16-10, 01:30 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 794 Posts
You should negotiate price on everything. Be polite and business like, and remember you have no negotiating leverage unless you have alternatives - other places and/or other bikes that are a better deal for you. You have to be willing to walk away to negotiate. BUt remember, there's only so far any local bike shop can bend on price, be reasonable.
Old 02-16-10, 03:07 AM
travkat
Go as fast as you can

Bikes: Ritte Bosberg with SRAM Red and Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say any LBS "IS" under an obligation to sell a bike at a price that won't put them out of business. MSRP's are given out to shops from manufacturers to try and get them a reasonable margin on their stock. (this is usually no more than 30% on a bike) When you factor in the overhead a shop has, and the fact that you have an actual physical place to try out an actual bike and not just a digital image of a something you find on Ebay for a great deal, you usually are getting a pretty fair price. Having said that, most shops want your business and will be willing to throw in some goodies or discount your accessories. And usually in a given model year, retailers are not allowed to sell bikes for under a certain amount so as to remain in fair competition with the manufacturer's other dealers. Car haggling is a different animal as car manufacturers give kick backs to dealerships who sell over a certain amount of cars. So if the car dealership sells tons of cars breaking even or even at a small loss, it is made up in huge bonuses from the kick backs. So long story short. Cars=Haggle all you want...Bikes=Have a reasonable idea of what something costs and be prepared to provide proof that you found something cheaper in a physical shop elsewhere. Be tactful no matter what and most importantly ride the damn thing once you get it.

Originally Posted by Nick29
would you pay sticker price for a car without any questions?

It doesn't matter why it's different. The fact is it is different, and the MSRP and prices asked for things like bikes and cars are set to take that into account. The bike shop is under no obligation to sell a bike for any price (barring some agreement with the manufacturer), and the customer has every right to say "I'm not willing to pay that much, but this is how much I am willing to pay."

eta: if Target is selling a year old TV, I'd expect it to be significantly discounted too before I'd consider buying it.
Old 02-16-10, 03:11 AM
travkat
Go as fast as you can

Bikes: Ritte Bosberg with SRAM Red and Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this post did get me thinking...why don't we haggle on things like T shirts. I mean cost to manufacture for a plain white T is about a buck. It then wholesales to a retailer for 5 bucks, and is sold to us for 15 bucks. Pretty good margin. So by the logic of haggling (with regards to bikes and cars) we should be talking these down to what 8 bucks?
Old 02-16-10, 04:08 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mzeffex

we should. a culture of taking what we are given is just as stupid as say a culture of tipping.

It is a tansaction freely entered into and should be done after both sides have tried to improve their position. competition is good. Try it at your supermarket. they'll have you commited to an asylum.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 02-16-10, 04:32 AM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A price tag is not a decoration. It's actually there for a reason.

You: Can you go any less on this bike?
Me: No...... but then I'll go into WHY the bike is worth this much. That bike is worth $900.

Still won't budge on the bike's worth? Then I'll show you bikes at the $800 range you're looking for. Maybe I'll show you a Cannondale Quick 4 and see how happy you are with it. Pretty simple really. You walk into a place willing to spend "X" amount of dollars, I'll make sure you spend more than that.
Old 02-16-10, 11:32 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tapeworm21
Yes, it shows that an item is for sale.
Old 02-16-10, 11:36 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tapeworm21
it is the seller's offer. the buyer should have an opportunity to counter offer. that's how all markets should work and the best markets do work. why do you hate freedom and capitalism?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 02-16-10, 11:37 AM
FR4NCH1SE

Bikes: 2009 GMC DENALI (walmart bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh if that deal gives you a headache, try to meet my deal a nice road bike for 500 bucks, NEW. With nicer components that you will get with that CAAD, I am assuming you get sora and tiagra and sora shifters with that caad, my bike has the stuff on the over one thousand caad bike.
Old 02-16-10, 11:46 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Atol
Get at least a CAAD9-6. You'll regret buying Sora components later.
I agree i would suggest getting 2010 Ultegra for 2010
https://freakride.blogspot.com/2009/0...irst-look.html

The high end gear set will require less adjustment and work better. The entail addtional cost we be offset by the reduced shop charges.

I would suggest looking for the exact bike one line and getting your LBS to match the price. It is a very simple negation, I want to but the bike from you but can you match the price from this shop.
You might look at this bike shop https://roysbikes.com/index.cfm for price. They actually give great service as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.