Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Spinning v. riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Spinning v. riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 09:02 PM
marksru16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spinning v. riding

I'm curious to hear from those that both spin and do regular road riding, how it compares from a purely physical standpoint. I'm new to biking, and given the cold weather in northeast, have been doing a fair amount of spinning to get in shape. So just curious how the two compare. Thanks.
Old 03-02-10, 09:16 PM
SoCar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The major physical difference is the momentum of the spin wheel allows you to "cheat" through the pedal stroke. Totally different stroke dynamic- unless you crank up the resistance on the spin bike, it's hard to keep good stroke form at higher RPM by applying force throughout the stroke- the momentum just kicks the leg around at weaker points in the cycle- think fixie. Whether it's a good workout depends on what your goals are. Most racers you ask will turn their noses up at spin class- as it usually does not fit into their training regimen well. However, you can get a great aerobic workout, and learning to keep the hips and shoulders quiet at high rpms is a good lesson. On rare occasion you can find a roadie, running road training spin classes- more traditional cycling workouts than the sweatfests you usually get at spin. All that said, it beats not working out at all!

Edit: The class I go to lets people bring their bike and trainer- if the teacher knows enough to call out gear ratios and/or percent efforts, that is a superior workout in my opinion.
Old 03-02-10, 09:22 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,246 Times in 1,508 Posts
It all depends on the class. I've been to spinning classes that push me more than I would on the road. Then I've beennto classes that are very easy. You can make it as hard as you want.
Old 03-02-10, 09:27 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
I think they're a good adjunct. We have Keiser spin bikes with magnetic resistance (instead of friction pads) and have readouts for estimated watts and calories. I routinely destroy myself on a spin bike in 60 min. and register 1000+ cal. (estimated) per session. Regarding SoCar's comment on "cheating" unless you "crank up the resistance" - I've not noticed any momentum at the resistances I use.
Old 03-02-10, 10:07 PM
tadawdy
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike trainers/spin bikes have the issue of not cooling the user. Normally, you're moving through the air. I like my KK Road Machine. It takes a big fan to keep me cool, though.
Old 03-02-10, 10:20 PM
Fixitman
Fear no hill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tadawdy
bike trainers/spin bikes have the issue of not cooling the user. Normally, you're moving through the air. I like my KK Road Machine. It takes a big fan to keep me cool, though.
Easily solved with an electric fan.
I use the spinning bike in the winter, really rainy days, and when I want to whoop my but so hard that I would fall over on the road bike working that hard.
I find it to be a good training tool.
Old 03-02-10, 11:14 PM
entukay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spin once a week, it's really good to keep you focused on breathing and posture. Since you don't have to pay attention to how close you are to someones wheel or road obstacles it really helps you focus.

It's a great aerobic workout, no doubt about that, but it doesn't beat riding on the road.
Old 03-02-10, 11:52 PM
wants185s
wants185s

Bikes: Cannondale 2003 Caad 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one thing from my spin class that improved my road riding significantly is riding out of the saddle. I did not have the discipline to stay out of the saddle long enough on the road to improve much. Spin class forced longer times out of the saddle. Great carry over to real riding.
Old 03-02-10, 11:56 PM
marksru16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very helpful everyone, thanks. Obviously getting out on the road is best, but glad to hear from people that spinning can be a good training tool.
Old 03-03-10, 01:33 AM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate riding on a trainer...it is just so boring! I know everyone listens to music and some watch movies. the key for me is to focus and on doing intervals, otherwise it just doesn't feel like I get much of a workout. and nothing comes close to real riding!
Old 03-03-10, 01:53 AM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spin class is great when the weather sucks. Nothing better than actual bike riding. Spin class is a good aerobic exercise but isn't the same as real riding. Spin class is as hard // intense as you want to make it. I spin when I can't ride. I need lots of fans and air or I melt. Spin on but get on the road ASAP.
Old 03-03-10, 05:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
It does depend on the class. I've done three spinning classes, two were really good, one wasn't so good.

I did the spinning classes during the winter and found them to be a good way to keep in shape when cycling outside was less than desireable (dark, cold, icy, etc.). The first class was in a recreational centre and I also joined the gym there. I did the class twice a week, and after class I walked around the walking track several times to cool down a bit, and then lifted weights.

In 2007, I trained for Hell Week in April in the Vancouver area by attending spinning classes twice a week (and doing the weights), riding my trainer for about an hour on a couple other days during the week, and riding my trainer for 2-3 hours on the weekends.

In 2008, I trained for a hilly 600 km tour in February in Australia by attending spinning classes once a week (the one that wasn't so good, but I did my own thing a lot of the time), riding the stationary bicycles in the gym 3 other days, rowing in the gym 3 days a week, walking 5 days a week, and riding my trainer for 2-3 hours on the weekends.

Last edited by Machka; 03-03-10 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-03-10, 06:17 AM
H-Bear

Bikes: Scott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by entukay
I spin once a week, it's really good to keep you focused on breathing and posture. Since you don't have to pay attention to how close you are to someones wheel or road obstacles it really helps you focus.

It's a great aerobic workout, no doubt about that, but it doesn't beat riding on the road.
+1

I attend pretty intense spin classes 2 - 3x a week. While it doesn't compare to being out on the road and dealing with wind/terrain/etc, it's a great workout.
Old 03-03-10, 08:48 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCar
Whether it's a good workout depends on what your goals are. Most racers you ask will turn their noses up at spin class- as it usually does not fit into their training regimen well. However, you can get a great aerobic workout, and learning to keep the hips and shoulders quiet at high rpms is a good lesson. On rare occasion you can find a roadie, running road training spin classes- more traditional cycling workouts than the sweatfests you usually get at spin. All that said, it beats not working out at all!

Edit: The class I go to lets people bring their bike and trainer- if the teacher knows enough to call out gear ratios and/or percent efforts, that is a superior workout in my opinion.
I tend to agree with this assessment, and am one of those racers that tends to poo poo spin class.

I'll grant that it depends on the instructor, but most of the ones I've done, the instructors appeared to know little about actually riding a bike; the various drills and psotures they wanted had more to do with "toning muscles" than training to ride. And the structure of the intervals was all over the place, designed tomake you sweat, but not really targeted to improving a particular energy system.

All that said, they tend to be hard workouts because of the group motiviational thing, which is good.

But if you're self motivated, you'll see bigger gains working a structured program on the trainer. I would definitely not do spin as my primary training in the winter if the goal is to race in the spring, or just to be as fast on the bike as you can be.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-03-10, 08:59 AM
Athlete, Joe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will see tons of gains from your first few years of riding almost despite the method, so you may equate good performance on the road when the weather turns from your spin riding. Of course, nothing is AS good as actually being out on the road, but whatever keeps you consistent (and as long as you continue to be motivated) will contribute to better fitness.

That said, I think the benefits of spin classes diminish as you accrue more miles. I've been riding for two years fairly intensively now and remember going to a spin class around this time last year (after a solid winter of base and virtually no upper end work)... I only broke a sweat from the heat of other riders in the room who were clearly suffering. It was a function of 1) them not knowing how to pace themselves (2) bad spin form/bike setup (3) my higher aerobic endurance sharing a larger workload.
Old 03-03-10, 09:12 AM
DesnaePhoto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What you get out of it depends on what you put in it. Just like anything else. You do NOT have to do what the instructor does. My jumps are done to a different count, as I use them to practice for mtb riding (logs, etc). I don't do some of the other stuff, as it does not play into my riding.

When I started spin last fall, one class would wipe me out! Now I can do doubles without too much trouble. The thing that I enjoy about the spin class is there are others around. Breaks up the monotony.

We just got the Keiser spin bikes as well. Much harder to cheat on them, as the info they give really helps keep you honest with yourself.

Again, you get out of the class what you put into it. Kinda like life.
Old 03-03-10, 09:28 AM
saratoga

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been to a couple at the Y I belong to... one lady that usually does the Wed morning class races and has a good program with intervals put together. The guy that does the Tue and Thu evening classes doesn't have a clue. He's got people doing push-ups on the bars, tries to base the "intervals" to the beat of some loud ass techno and crazy stuff like that.

It's a good motivator for me every now and then when I'm too bored to ride the trainer alone. All the time, no because nothing they do fits into my usual trainer workouts... if you tried to tell people to do 2X20's (or even 1X20) in spin class, paramedics would need to be on standby.

I bring my bike and rollers- they don't have any problem with that.
Old 03-03-10, 09:46 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by saratoga
The guy that does the Tue and Thu evening classes doesn't have a clue. He's got people doing push-ups on the bars,...
Does anyone know what that's supposed to do, anyway? They call them "jumps" here, going from a bent-arm crouch to straight arms every few strokes (sometimes 8 strokes per position, then 4, then 2).

I don't like how easy it is to cheat with a friction-braked bike, either. I'd like to see those magnetic bikes. I should bring mine the next time and borrow one of the trainers they have.
Old 03-03-10, 09:55 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
Spinning/trainer/roller riding is okay for maintaining some from during winter ..... if you can take doing it indoors. Rollers are best for me as you're actually riding and it requires concentration.

Having said that. ..... I don't much care for it. Riding is meant for outdoors. With all the snow this Feb. I just gave up roller riding and went hiking in the snow It's so much more more enjoyable to be outside in fresh air. When I return to the bike ... I'll be fresh and eager to ride. .... outside!
Old 03-03-10, 09:57 AM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done spin classes with a local triathlon group (I know, blasphemy) and they're pretty hard. Not as hard a an intense road ride, but still pretty good.

They do some 'isolations' where you go as hard as you can go while keeping yourself over the saddle and not rocking side to side. Stuff like that, working muscles that aren't worked that much in cycling, but still help, are the reason I sort of like spin class.

that said, i'd never go to a spin class when the weather is nice.
Old 03-03-10, 10:06 AM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the Wednesday 6pm class at my gym is flush with hot girls. reason enough to go all winter.
Old 03-04-10, 02:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Does anyone know what that's supposed to do, anyway? They call them "jumps" here, going from a bent-arm crouch to straight arms every few strokes (sometimes 8 strokes per position, then 4, then 2).
Jumps are horrible, pointless, needlessly painful, and potentially dangerous. The instructor in my second spinning class, the one I didn't particularly like, loved doing jumps. The class did jumps for roughly half of each class. I did jumps once or twice, discovered how awful they were, and did my own thing during jump time. My original plan was to sign up for the once-a-week class (which I did), and then drop in on her classes 2 or 3 other times each week, but after I discovered how fond she was of jumps, I just attended the once-a-week class I signed up for, and went to the gym to ride the stat bikes on the other days instead.

I have no idea what the point is. I suspect some aerobics instructor who wanted to do step-aerobics on the bicycle came up with it. It's certainly not a normal, natural cycling activity.
Old 03-04-10, 11:26 AM
Corman
Must Ride

Bikes: Cannondale R900, Univega FS700(commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do tons of indoor riding in the winter, I use the trainer to do time trial like rides, the spinning bike to hammer out of the saddle, if you don't cheat(which why do it at all) you can get a serious workout. I can force myself to ride very hard.........it works well for me, but you get out what you put it in.
Old 03-04-10, 12:05 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Just started doing a spin class twice a week and I'm interested to see how (or if) it will translate to my road riding in any way. It's a great workout in any case. The only drawback is the often very bad music we spin to.
Old 03-04-10, 12:36 PM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hunt-man
Spin class is great when the weather sucks. Nothing better than actual bike riding. Spin class is a good aerobic exercise but isn't the same as real riding. Spin class is as hard // intense as you want to make it. I spin when I can't ride. I need lots of fans and air or I melt. Spin on but get on the road ASAP.
This is pretty accurate as far as I am concerned, though I can push myself extremely hard on the spin bike, provided there is proper cooling

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I tend to agree with this assessment, and am one of those racers that tends to poo poo spin class.

I'll grant that it depends on the instructor, but most of the ones I've done, the instructors appeared to know little about actually riding a bike; the various drills and psotures they wanted had more to do with "toning muscles" than training to ride. And the structure of the intervals was all over the place, designed tomake you sweat, but not really targeted to improving a particular energy system.

All that said, they tend to be hard workouts because of the group motiviational thing, which is good.

But if you're self motivated, you'll see bigger gains working a structured program on the trainer. I would definitely not do spin as my primary training in the winter if the goal is to race in the spring, or just to be as fast on the bike as you can be.
Again this seems almost dead on based on my experience. However, I will sometimes go to a spin class to break up the monotony of the trainer during winter, I went this morning and yesterday morning. I know most of the spin instructors and I usually tell them I am not going to follow their class, I put my bike in the back/corner and do my own thing so as to not disrupt the class.

Hoping to get a rear light this weekend and prayer to mother nature to cooperate so I can start commuting next week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.