Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What's your best piece of commuting equipment?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 01:53 PM
DP Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just starting to make a list of all the stuff I'm going to need to buy if I decide to start commuting - everything from safety equipment (helmet, reflective vest, etc.) to repair equipment (multi-tool, spare tubes, pump, etc.) and of course a bike. I'm quickly beginning to realize that I might spend more on the gear than on the bike itself!

I know that many people have a particular piece of equipment that really works for them - something they replaced half a dozen times before they found "Model X", and now "Model X" has worked really well for years. Others have made do for years with something they found on eBay, or in a dumpster.

For example, I'm planning on riding at night, & I'll need a tail light. Many people have recommended the Planet Bike Super Flash. It's only $25, it's really bright, and the company supports cyclists. So, I'll probably go out of my way to buy one of those, especially if they alternatives happen to be more expensive.

On the other hand, I haven't read a lot (so far) from people who love a particular helmet. This tells me that perhaps there's not a whole lot about helmets that varies from one brand or model to the other, & maybe I should just buy whatever fits my needs, looks nice, is the cheapest, and fits best at my LBS.

So, my question is this- what piece of equipment have you purchased that really worked out for you? What's the one thing that you'd definitely go out of your way to buy again, instead of buying whatever your LBS happens to sell- because it's the best, or does the same thing for half the cost of its competitors, or it fits you perfectly, or it just looks nice? If you had to start all over again, what's the ONE thing you would definitely keep?
Old 03-03-10, 01:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by DP Roberts
I'm just starting to make a list of all the stuff I'm going to need to buy if I decide to start commuting - everything from safety equipment (helmet, reflective vest, etc.) to repair equipment (multi-tool, spare tubes, pump, etc.) and of course a bike. I'm quickly beginning to realize that I might spend more on the gear than on the bike itself!

I know that many people have a particular piece of equipment that really works for them - something they replaced half a dozen times before they found "Model X", and now "Model X" has worked really well for years. Others have made do for years with something they found on eBay, or in a dumpster.

For example, I'm planning on riding at night, & I'll need a tail light. Many people have recommended the Planet Bike Super Flash. It's only $25, it's really bright, and the company supports cyclists. So, I'll probably go out of my way to buy one of those, especially if they alternatives happen to be more expensive.

On the other hand, I haven't read a lot (so far) from people who love a particular helmet. This tells me that perhaps there's not a whole lot about helmets that varies from one brand or model to the other, & maybe I should just buy whatever fits my needs, looks nice, is the cheapest, and fits best at my LBS.

So, my question is this- what piece of equipment have you purchased that really worked out for you? What's the one thing that you'd definitely go out of your way to buy again, instead of buying whatever your LBS happens to sell- because it's the best, or does the same thing for half the cost of its competitors, or it fits you perfectly, or it just looks nice? If you had to start all over again, what's the ONE thing you would definitely keep?
You named it for me.
Old 03-03-10, 02:00 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many things that I'd buy over again if I had to: Axiom waterproof panniers, Planet Bike Freddy fenders, Pearl Izumi Amfib tights, Topeak Roadmorph pump, SealSkinz waterproof socks, Incredibell, MagicShine headlight, Niterider Cherrybomb taillight, merino wool undergarments, Continental Spike Claw 240 studded tires (Nokians are supposed to be better though), probably more stuff but that's all I can think off.

Speaking of merino wool undergarments: best stuff for winter riding, I buy cheap one from overstock.com.

Adam
Old 03-03-10, 02:10 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Zefal HpX pump for schrader valves, Bell Metro helmet, TipTop tire patches, Jansport Big Student backpack

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-03-10, 02:15 PM
O-Town

Bikes: Seven Axiom Steel, Surly LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jandd Painners, Blackburn frame pump, and ugly a$$ bright orange Performance Bike Jersey.
Old 03-03-10, 02:15 PM
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it's lights. I've tried a bunch both in front and in back, but I've always come back to the DiNotte 200L in the front (and on my helmet) and the PB SuperFlash (2, actually) on the back. I've never found any better than these two and would buy again if something happened to the ones I have.

That being said, I am made very sad at the amount of stuff sold as being rugged/tough/ready for commuters that breaks after the first ride or two. I've spent far more than I care to think about on things that just didn't hold up to regular use under commute conditions. My bike is a tool -- transportation to and from work. I need it to work and work well everyday. I'm willing to do regular maintenance on it, but I'm not going to baby it or the components I put on it.
Old 03-03-10, 02:20 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
All helmets meet the same safety standard, so it comes down to how each helmet fits the individual cranium. The other considerations are style, durabilty (mostly for the straps and stuff) and ventilation.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-03-10, 02:24 PM
ortcutt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with AdamDZ about wool clothing. I have a couple of merino baselayers, and a merino 3-pocket jersey. When I arrive at work I do not smell, no matter how much I sweat.

Beyond that, I'd cite my Ortlieb waterproof panniers. Lunch, books, papers, notebook computer, coffee thermos, groceries, and more: it all fits, and stays dry.

And I've been happy with Schwalbe Marathons. I run 35mm studdeds during the winter, and 32s during the rest of the year.

And my SKS full-coverage fenders. Come to think of it, anything German I've bought has been a roaring success.
Old 03-03-10, 02:30 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If I were starting over, I'd buy in this order:

Essentials:
Bike
Helmet
Gloves
Reflective vest
Repair stuff: cheap multitool, patches, spare tube, Topeak Road Morph pump, basic home repair stuff like a few wrenches and chain lube.

something to haul stuff in - rack and cheap Nashbar ATB panniers (< $50 for the whole setup) or just a backpack if on a tight budget.

If riding other than in broad daylight (night, twilight, dawn, fog, rain):
Dinotte 140L taillight
PB Superflash as backup taillight
P7 flashlight for headlight

If I really couldn't afford the Dinotte, I'd buy TWO superflashes (I do not feel one blinkie is ever enough - they can die and you won't know it until YOU die). With a superflash and no Dinotte, I would not ride in seriously adverse conditions like heavy fog.

I would almost rather ride without a helmet than without gloves. I've only ever had a helmet protect me from some facial injury, but I've gotten my hands really chewed up 2 or 3 times in my life, and it was not fun. I use my hands to protect my head in an accident, and having gloves on them makes sense.

I would not bother with clipless again. I have it now and am using it until it dies, but honestly I don't care whether I'm using SPD or toe clips, and IMO it's not worth much. I would probably buy mountain bike shoes and use them on straight platform pedals though - you can get them on sale for $35 or so and they are well built, stand up to getting wet repeatedly, and are warmer than sneakers. Also sneakers flex too much - my arches are in pain if I ride with sneakers very much.

Last edited by ItsJustMe; 03-03-10 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-03-10, 02:39 PM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in your position about a year ago and like you did a lot of research and reading before buying. I'll second (or third) the PB Super Flash as well as at least one front light especially if you're going to be riding at dusk or night. (I think I have the PB 1-watt front light).

A couple things I learned through trial and error....

1. get a good sturdy rack. I ended up with the Topeak Explorer and one of their rack bags. I tried the old grocery bag on the handlebars for a couple weeks and it's pretty clumsy. I eventually got the Explorer after trying a seatpost rack and it's nice having the option of transporting some weight.

2. Find a seat that works for you.

3. I have a Bell Citi helmet. The little visor on the front actually does make a difference.
Old 03-03-10, 02:41 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
#1 = Lights - P7 flashlight for bar, dinotte for helmet, PB superflash for tail light (would love a dinotte)

#2 = waterproof panniers - I prefer Ortlieb

#3 = waterproof/breathable rain jacket - I have one made by Gill, another by Gore... I want a showerspass
Old 03-03-10, 02:50 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best piece of commuting equipment? My bicycle.
Old 03-03-10, 03:06 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My hi-vis jacket. Love it, makes me feel very visible. No particular brand, I just picked up one at Performance when they had a great sale. It was similar to this: https://bit.ly/bqmIiQ
Old 03-03-10, 03:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
intuition
Old 03-03-10, 03:48 PM
andrelam

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For regular night time riding I love my B&M Cyo with Shimano DH-3N70 generator hub for the front and 2 PB Super flashes in the back. I don't want to remember to worry about charging my batteries all the time. With the generator hub I can ride till the cow come home and I won't run out of light. I use one of the rear PB Super Flashes in flashing mode and one in solid. I use rechargable batteries in them and they last about a month for solid use during my 10 mile RT commute, and about 2 to 3 months in flashing mode. I still carry one set of spare batteries, but 2 AAA batteries are light and take up very little room.

For Fall through Spring comfort, the best find was Lou at www.foxwear.net. The custom made clothing is cheaper than the local (or mail order) stores and works amazingly well to keep me warm and dry throughout a Western NY winter. Lou's EVap coat and Power Shield Pants do wonders to keep me comfy from 50F down to the single digits.

As others pointed out a descent set of fenders (SKS are my favorites, but PB works fine), a good pump (Topeak Road Morph G is my favorite and was my primary pump for 2 years!). For being seen at night I get my hi-vis clothing from www.alertshirt.com. I have their ANSI Class 2 vest and their rain coat. The rain coat is not great at shedding sweat, but it is VERY visable being ANSI Class 3
rated. The stuff is reasonably priced and of good quality.

If you haven't commuted much in the past, go eay with your purchases up front and just get started with some spare athletic clothing you have in the house. As you start to ride you will start to figure out what works for you in your environment. There is no need to drop a massive amount up front. My only main 1st investment was to get a wheel with generator hub, and light from Peter White. The rest slowly came over time.

Happy riding,
André
Old 03-03-10, 04:02 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
pb superflash
pb cascadia fenders
topeak roadmorph w/ gauge

Those are no-brainer constants

Pretty loyal to schwalbe tires and tubus racks but they are expensive and take some pondering.
Old 03-03-10, 06:09 PM
qualla

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bests: Bell Citi (with attached Bell mirror) helmet -- I like the brim too; Showers Pass Touring Jacket (with a PB Superflash attached to the back); Merino knit shirts; another Superflash attached to the rack; Ortlieb bags (Office and Shopper for me) -- I prefer Ortlieb to Arkel largely because I find them easier to attach and detach quickly.
Really Really goods: B&M light with Shimano hub; Fenix L2D with a TwoFish mount; Schwalbe Marathons (or Nokian W106s depending on the season).
Saddles and pedals and drivetrain are, as always, very personal. Some of my choices were expected ( a Brooks saddle happens to fit me and I like the Shimano IGH for city use), and others were not (the cheapest plastic Odyssey BMX-ish pedals are just right for me). Good luck.
Old 03-03-10, 06:33 PM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A comfortable seat. For me it's Brooks B-17!

All that other stuff is moot if your butt hurts and you're not riding the bike!
Old 03-03-10, 07:05 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dinotte taillight. Love the PB Superflash, but the Dinotte is about as effective at slowing down cars as a spike strip... You honestly don't know what you're missing until you experience one. They are worth the $$$

Your retinas however may not appreciate it.
Old 03-03-10, 07:17 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
Dinotte taillight. Love the PB Superflash, but the Dinotte is about as effective at slowing down cars as a spike strip... You honestly don't know what you're missing until you experience one. They are worth the $$$

Your retinas however may not appreciate it.
+1
Just got mine three days ago, and am amazed at the difference. I've had a PB Superflash on back all winter, and the space I get from motorists has doubled with the DiNotte. Yeah, they're expensive, but not getting rear-ended is priceless. Also, check out the german mirror from www.rivbike.com. It's the only mirror I've had, but I love it.
Old 03-03-10, 07:57 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
The item I value the most is my mailbag pannier. Mine happens to be a Transit, which I bought on price, so I'm sure there's better ones out there for more money. It has enough room for my PC/mouse/power supply, lunch pack, and a few documents, and compared to a backpack, forces me to pack lighter as well as being much more comfortable for riding, obviously. At work I typically have to roam around alot to various meetings and move from my desk to the laboratory and back, so it is nice to have the mailbag for carrying around my PC etc. as well as my snacks as I migrate from place to place.
Old 03-03-10, 08:04 PM
jagged

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite (2011); Trek 520 (2006); Specialized Globe (2005); Lemond Zurich (2003)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seconding the Bell Citi helmet. Just fantastic.

A half face mask is perfect for 30 to 45 degree Fahrenheit weather. More comfortable than a balaclava.

A Cygolite Milion 200 headlight. Super bright, portable, no external battery, keeps a charge for a long time, charges from the USB port in your office's computer -- just perfect.

I have carried repair tools since I started commuting, years ago. I still haven't needed them. Budget for those last.
Old 03-03-10, 08:08 PM
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think of any lighting as my "last" The technology simply changes too fast. For example, the Radbot 1000 (1W) is now brighter than the PBSF (1/2W) for about the same price. I love my magicshine, but I also loved my Cree Q5's before I got it.

My best bang for the buck was the $5 reflective vest.

Rack.

Gave up on the multitools in favor of the three or four hex keys and cut off wrenches I actually need.

Tubes. And Patches.

Stealth reflective tape.
Old 03-03-10, 08:09 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, I agree with the Dinotte taillight praise. I would not hesitate to get one again; in fact I might buy a cheaper bike to afford one if I had to.

I decided that I couldn't justify not getting one, and that was after just seeing them on YouTube. Now I feel even more strongly about it.

As with all things cycling, this depends on your situation. I ride almost my entire 11 mile trip on rural roads at night or into the rising sun in the morning, 2 lane roads with cars doing 60 MPH coming up behind me. I must be seen from behind, often framed against a rising sun.

If you're riding in the city, speeds are lower and side visibility might be more important.
Old 03-03-10, 08:24 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1. Shimano XTR rear hub laced to a Salsa Delgado Cross rim. Bye Bye broken spokes!
2. Terry "Fly" saddle.
3. Thorn resistant tube.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.