Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Helmets for Unique Head Shapes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 12:03 PM
cyclofiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I must have a head shape that is different from "average." Looking from the top of my head, I would describe the shape as "long oval." Looking at my face, I would describe it as narrow with a tall forehead. Every helmet I have tried seems to just perch on top of my heal like a styrofoam yarmulke. There is a significant amount of exposure on my forehead and above my ears, and even with straps tightened, helmets feel rather insecure. I think the issue might be that since my head is longer front to back than the helmets are designed for, the helmet is not sitting all the way down on the top of my head.

I feel like I should be wearing a helmet, especially since I have a new child and will be making him wear a helmet when he starts riding, but I just can't get over how ridiculous I look and I have doubts as to the effectiveness of an ill-fitting helmet.

All I want is a helmet that comes down lower, reducing the exposed space on my forehead and above my ears. Skate/BMX helmets are better, but they offer almost zero ventilation. Has anyone else who has experienced this particular problem found a helmet that works? Motorcycle helmet makers make different helmets for different shaped heads. Why can't bicycle helmet manufacturer's do the same?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-10, 12:09 PM
NickDavid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was walking though the city yesterday and passed a guy whose head was shaped like this.

Old 03-10-10, 12:47 PM
graphs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try getting a larger size helmet and placing extra padding strips along the sides. That should allow the helmet to come down fully but still ensure it is stable.
Old 03-10-10, 01:16 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Different brands fit differently. Giro tends to be more oval than Bell (even though both are made in the same factory). Euro brands have even more variety. Try them all on and buy what fits you best.
Old 03-10-10, 02:29 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
I found Bells to be more oval than Giro. I ordered one after trying on about 12 different helmets in a shop (Giro, Trek, Bell, plus various skateboard/kids helmets - serious).

cdr
Old 03-10-10, 04:35 PM
G_C

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8, Specialized Stumpjumper ht

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Bell being more oval than Giro. I've been wearing Bell helmets longer than I can remember but when the Giro Atmos came out I bought one because of the design and low weight. I could not get the helmet to fit properly and that was with it tightened to the point it was choking me. I sold to a friend and bought a Bell Ghisallo. Ghisallo's fit is perfect. Bell no longer makes the Ghisallo so the next helmet I am considering is the Sweep. Not to hijack but if anyone can comment on the fit of the Sweep compared to the Ghisallo it's much appreciated.
Some brands I reccomend you trying are Bell, Giro, Specialized, Lazer, Louis Garneau, Limar. You might want to try the size up from your measurement and wear a helmet liner to firm up the fit. Helmet should sit level with approx. 1 finger above your eyebrow. Start with retention strap at back of helmet and make it comfortably snug. Then adjust the side straps to create a "V" under and infront of your ear lobe. Last the chin strap should fit snug so if you were to yawn you would feel the helmet pull down some. Two tests are to make sure you can't pull the helmet back more than an inch. You do not want your forehead exposed in a fall. Second is to move the helmet left to right. It should move the scalp not slide against.