Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tip on a road bike (Masa15 pics)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 12:00 PM
jiggernaut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a budget road bike and a motorcycle shop has a stock of old road bikes. He's selling them for 200$ a piece. The first bike I have pictures of is a Masa15, it's really tall and fits me the best, the blue one is a raleigh super gran prix, and the last one is a raleigh gran prix. The raleighs aren't as tall but I can ride them comfortably. Judging from the sticker on the blue one they're 1980ish.

The Masa15 has Dia Compe front brakes and a Shimano rear disc, SunTour derailers, and the seat post and handlebars are ingraved with SR Melt forging. Also, ingraved on the handlebars is Sake Randnner Road Champion (he apparently used these bike in races ??)

The raleighs are fittied with ralieigh derailers and brakes.

The bikes have never been ridden and everything is in working order. They just look like they've been in a warehouse for sometime, the rubber around the brake levers has melted/fallen off.

So, Good deal? or run and never look back?

SANY0408.JPGSANY0409.JPGSANY0397.JPGSANY0400.JPGSANY0406.JPGSANY0405.JPGSANY0399.JPGSANY0401.JPGSANY0403.JPGSANY0407.JPGSANY0398.JPGSANY0404.JPG

Last edited by jiggernaut; 03-24-10 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 12:13 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 511 Posts
Never heard of Masa. Where was it made?
Old 03-24-10, 12:15 PM
jiggernaut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Japan is engraved on just about everything.
Old 03-24-10, 12:25 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
That Masa is the pick of that litter. Suntour Cyclone and barbons, you cannot go wrong, esp if it fits. They were Japanese bikes from the 70s. $200 might be a fair price for that depending on the tubing. What does the sticker say? The Raleighs are fine, too and priced pretty close to market for 70s NOS, but that 20-10 tubing is heavy and I suspect that they have steel rims.
Old 03-24-10, 12:33 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Not a screaming great deal at $200, but not a ripoff either. I think a lot of people will say the Raleighs are a better bike and they may be correct, but I'd get the Masa despite the fact that I've never heard of it. It looks to be a bit better than the entry-level blue Raliegh and may even have a chromoly frame (what does it say on the decal above the bottom bracket?

It looks like it has the best components apart from the disc brake (I've heard that those old ones were noisy and ineffective, but I've never ridden with them...) You can easily replace the disc with a caliper if that turns out to be true, and a standard caliper is probably lighter.
Old 03-24-10, 12:34 PM
awc380

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's the deal with those disc brakes????
Old 03-24-10, 12:34 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

E beat me to the punch...
Old 03-24-10, 12:35 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Originally Posted by awc380
What's the deal with those disc brakes????

they were called spoke protectors (aka dork disks) and have absolutely nothing to do with breaking.
Old 03-24-10, 01:19 PM
tugrul

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by EjustE
they were called spoke protectors (aka dork disks) and have absolutely nothing to do with breaking.
Not that disk. This disc.

Old 03-24-10, 01:37 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
whoa.
Old 03-24-10, 02:24 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tugrul
Wondering the same thing. Looks clunky and possibly heavy, but you'd probably have to redo the wheel if you took it off to save weight (GROAN).
Old 03-24-10, 02:27 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Let it be noted that the Masa15's rear brake is some sort of janky disc contraption. You might want to buy a caliper brake for the rear wheel instead of messing with it...
Old 03-24-10, 02:28 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also, I really don't like that cable routing. At ALL.
Old 03-24-10, 02:46 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Originally Posted by tugrul

Holy cow! And someone got that thing to work with those diacombe levers? hmmmm
Old 03-24-10, 03:07 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Its probably made for a standard pull so It will play nicely with regular Brake levers.

I agree that its probably heavy and wont perform the best seeing how its a pretty early disc system but It has a major cool factor and everything else about that Masa screams BUY NOW to me if it fits.

I mean look at the Pristineness of the Cyclone Derailleurs! Those are some of the best pieces of hardware around.

Hell, if it bites just pull the caliper and disc off and replace it with a standard rim brake
Old 03-24-10, 03:11 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Oh, I just noticed the huge mount tab for the disc caliper, that's going to be ugly when the caliper comes off...
Old 03-24-10, 03:48 PM
GrayJay

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Run, dont ride away from these 3. Despite not having been previously used, those all look more like bikes worth more like $20 than $200. Despite a few interesting parts, none of them are racing bikes or are particularly desireable/valuable.They probably all need new tires at minimum and appear to have other mechanical issues (such as the cables) that would likely need to be addressed by a skilled bike mechanic. Plan on spending even more money on them after you buy them if you dont know bike maintanence. THere is probably a good reason that no one has bought them for 30 years.
Old 03-24-10, 04:20 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 2,067 Times in 1,261 Posts
In addition to the Suntour drivetrain, if that's a Tange Levin headset (JIS), Araya rims, Sunshine/Suntour hubs, SR stem/bars you've got $200 of nice "take-off" components and a bizarro frame to sell to some fixed fiend. Decent forged dropouts too.

Only if you love to collect and stash parts.
Old 03-24-10, 05:32 PM
jiggernaut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've searched on ebay for some used bikes. I'm 6'3" and it seems 60+cm frames are far and few between. The Ebay bikes seem to be worn out or incomplete and still asking 300-400$. Would the need for a large frame make the masa worth 200 bones?

@grayjay These bikes do need new tires, I can see cracks in the sidewalls.

I searched for the metal composition on the frame and only found a small 78 on the seat tube, nothing on any of the stickers.

Last edited by jiggernaut; 03-24-10 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 05:55 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Somebody has posted pictures from that shop before, I remember that floor. Might have been on a blog because I am not finding it.
As I recall the story was it was originaly a bike shop and then they started selling Mopeds in the 80's and then went full on to the Motorcycle sales early 90's when the Bike boom went bust when the Yen tanked. The bikes were left over stock. I also recall a LOT of mid line bikes were still there last time I saw pictures.
Old 03-24-10, 06:15 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's tough to say, because you obviously haven't test ridden it since the tires are junked...I'd say do your thoroughly examine and spin the back tire, to make sure that disk-brake thing isn't inhibiting wheel movement or action.

I'm concerned about the disk brake for a couple reasons: (1) it's unfamiliar to some of the experts on BF and thus was not pervasive in the industry around the time, may not have been around for very long, (2) It will probably be impossible to find replacement parts if anything on the disk brake were to need replacing in the future. (3) if you ever wanted to remove the disk brake, you'll have trouble redoing the rear wheel.

But if the disk brake isn't going to give you any problems it's likely none of the other components will. The bike has some very reputable and durable parts - all already mentioned, which are still highly sought-after today. At some point you may want to swap out the rear wheel for one without a gigantic disk-brake, and install a Dia-Compe or similar brake on your rear wheel.

After that, you should be set to go. Bike has otherwise good components.

BUT, check the frame material. You won't get a green light from most of the people on C&V until we know what it's made from. The seat tube really has to have some indicator - a sticker or otherwise. The only internet search result that said anything about Masa bikes was from a neglected post on BF's and one other forum, where the owner indicated his bike was made from aluminum. Yours probably isn't (I don't know, maybe it is?), but you still need to know what it's made of before you buy.
Old 03-24-10, 09:16 PM
BlankCrows
Avenir Equipped

Bikes: Chesini X-Uno, etc.....

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never seen that disk brake before. Is there a brand name on it, or is New Age the brand? It looks different than Shimano's old disk brake effort from the 70's (one passed through my hands a few years ago on a JCPenney beast I was lucky to flip).

Here is the old Shimano disc brake over at Velobase.
Old 03-24-10, 09:33 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggernaut
I've searched on ebay for some used bikes. I'm 6'3" and it seems 60+cm frames are far and few between. The Ebay bikes seem to be worn out or incomplete and still asking 300-400$. Would the need for a large frame make the masa worth 200 bones?

@grayjay These bikes do need new tires, I can see cracks in the sidewalls.

I searched for the metal composition on the frame and only found a small 78 on the seat tube, nothing on any of the stickers.
My friend, I am your size, and bought this on the bay for under 300$:

This was a 175$ swap meet find:

This was a 75$ thrift store find:

Believe me, you are the perfect size to find a good vintage bike. Dealers have trouble getting rid of the tall ones. It may take a bit of patience to find a real gem, but you can-- it's much easier for you than it is for someone searching for a small bike.

My advice is to offer 100$ for the Masa, cash in hand. If he won't take it, walk away. If he does, you have a rider with some decent equipage (I'm not sure I trust that back brake). Make sure the rear bridge is drilled to accept a brake. And if he does take the cash, you have rider you can use until you find something better. Then part out the Masa. Or keep it as a beater.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

Last edited by Poguemahone; 03-24-10 at 09:33 PM. Reason: grammur
Old 03-24-10, 09:37 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 4,492 Times in 2,128 Posts
If that disk weighs anything like its Shimano counterpart, that thing is a good 3-4+ pounds on top of everything. The only benefit is that you could probably run SS if you wanted to, simply by flipping your wheel and running a SS cog. Chainline might stink, but it'd work.

Thing is, does that Masa have a drilled rear brake bridge?

-Kurt

Old 03-24-10, 10:06 PM
jiggernaut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@pogue Nice bikes. I maybe giving up on the bay to soon.

The rear disc is a shimano, the disc is stainless and about 1/8" thick.

I'll put 100$ on the table and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.