Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Lesson Learned - Buying wheels on Ebay

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10, 11:42 AM
misterb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So while building my first fixie and ran across these on ebay... https://cgi.ebay.com/43mm-Deep-V-Aero...ht_9442wt_1269

Worst mistake ever... 1st complaint was that they were horribly packaged... No protection between the wheels whatsoever. Both wheels had a dent and scratch that probably occurred during shipping. The build quality of these are crap (I will post pics later). I wouldn't have paid $75.00 for these. On another note, the seller was responsive and the original shipment was received very quickly.

Then I decided to get a pair of Black Deep V's to have a red wheel in the back and black wheel up front. So I try again on Ebay. Found a pair, bought them and shipping took almost two weeks. I was happy to receive them but when I opened the box up, whaaalaaa, a nice pair of B43's in a completely different color than what I ordered. Wrong wheel, wrong color, and the only good thing is that these wheels are going for twice the amount I paid. Sold one so far and have the other on Ebay.

Both sellers had 99%+ feedback from over 1000 users each. For the seller of the red wheels, feedback from users were that the wheels were "great"... guess my standards are a little higher.

As of now, I went ahead and bought a Aerospoke rear from my LBS for $300 and am currently on the market for a Red B43 up front from somewhere local!

Live and learn but just though I'd put my experience up for any newbies like myself!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
misterblangster..jpg (55.1 KB, 190 views)
Old 04-02-10, 11:46 AM
BurntPocketHole

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Jamis Durango, Fuji Track Pros

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so you went thru all that trouble and still ended up with MSW's though no brake?
Old 04-02-10, 11:49 AM
misterb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@BurntPocketHole.... Waiting for my Front brake... and still considering if I'm gonna paint the Aerospoke red.
Old 04-02-10, 12:51 PM
spcialzdspksman
Hella Raw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much longer is that fork compared to your stock one? There seems to be some excessive TT slope on that Langster...
Old 04-02-10, 01:35 PM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spcialzdspksman
How much longer is that fork compared to your stock one? There seems to be some excessive TT slope on that Langster...
it's on a hill. look at the slope between bottoms of tires
Old 04-02-10, 07:04 PM
Tomo_Ishi
Riding Engineer

Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You ought to communicate with sellers (or buyers) and make certain it is the product you are bidding on (or selling) immediately after the bid. Ebay people aren't Amazon, it's a flee-market. And, people make mistakes; nothing new. ... I think those stuff sound like you are at fault.

(I recommend not posting negative reviews on Ebay, because, from what you tell me, sellers gonna have something to say to you, too. Accumulate negative reviews enough and you might get banned from some 37337 auction items in the future.)
Old 04-02-10, 07:22 PM
jhaber
Hip-star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fwiw i got an awesome deals on my wheelset through ebay, way cheaper than anything I could get in canada, still true as the day I got them over a year + ago
Old 04-02-10, 07:28 PM
misterb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spcialzdspksman
It's a stock fork
Old 04-02-10, 07:34 PM
misterb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomo_Ishi
You ought to communicate with sellers (or buyers) and make certain it is the product you are bidding on (or selling) immediately after the bid. Ebay people aren't Amazon, it's a flee-market. And, people make mistakes; nothing new. ... I think those stuff sound like you are at fault.

(I recommend not posting negative reviews on Ebay, because, from what you tell me, sellers gonna have something to say to you, too. Accumulate negative reviews enough and you might get banned from some 37337 auction items in the future.)
So it was my mistake by them sending me Gold B43's and the auction was for Black Deep V's and the other seller not packaging their wheels in an acceptable manner causing me to get dented and scratched wheels? FYI... been an Ebay member for over 8 years and have sold and bought plenty. As I said before... READ before you reply next time...
Old 04-02-10, 07:35 PM
misterb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jhaber
fwiw i got an awesome deals on my wheelset through ebay, way cheaper than anything I could get in canada, still true as the day I got them over a year + ago
I've gotten some awesome deals one ebay too... just not with wheels...
Old 04-02-10, 07:56 PM
Snacklord
Lumens For Life

Bikes: 1989 Nishiki Ariel, 24" Elf Doublecross, 80's(?) Schwinn Traveler, soon a Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You ought to communicate with sellers (or buyers) and make certain it is the product you are bidding on (or selling) BEFORE you bid on anything. Ebay people aren't Amazon, it's a flea-market. And, people make mistakes; nothing new. ... I think those stuff sound like you are at fault.
Fixed that for you.... that way you won't have to go thru the process of retracting your bid....

it obviously was not the buyers fault in this situation....

I've been on ebay for 11 years and usually have had great buying/selling experiences....
every so often a mistake is made, but we are all humans.... humans make mistakes....

even buying from reputable shops, you sometimes encounter human mistakes, etc....
poor packaging, the wrong item sent, etc.... live and learn....
Old 04-02-10, 08:24 PM
gobby1095

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah it seems to me in the first situation that it wasent really ebays fault. Buying sketchy looking wheels with no name components does not sound like a good decision, especially for $160 with crappy tires/cog etc that will need replacing anyways.

You can definitely find good wheel deals on ebay, these have formula hubs, dt spokes, mavic rims, all proven components and "pro built" for only 130 shipped. And the buyer seems more professional.

Last edited by gobby1095; 04-02-10 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 08:49 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
OP - I don't know how much buying you have done on eBay, but there are some basic rules that I have used to good result:

1) Always look to non-eBay online stores first before getting anything Buy-It-Now on eBay. Ebay charges hefty fees to their sellers, and that is passed onto the buyer. Check Velomine, Ben's Vendio, World Class Cycles, Universal Cycles etc first before pulling the trigger on some unknown eBay seller. In rare cases, such as the recent blowout of Cane Creek track wheels, there are some good deals to be found, but these are exceptions.

2) Don't buy from a seller that requires that you pay return postage if the item is faulty or incorrect. A lot of eBay sellers are like this, which is why I mostly use reputable online stores, rather than eBay. Recently Ben's Vendio made a mistake in a shipment of wheels to me, and not only paid return shipping but arranged for pickup at my home so I didn't have to drop it off at UPS.

3) Use eBay the way it was meant to be used, not as another online retailer, but as a true auction site where you have a genuine opportunity to get a good deal on a product. I buy almost all my tubular tires in eBay auctions, and have never paid more than 50% of retail/store price for them.
Old 04-02-10, 09:15 PM
Snacklord
Lumens For Life

Bikes: 1989 Nishiki Ariel, 24" Elf Doublecross, 80's(?) Schwinn Traveler, soon a Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gobby1095
You can definitely find good wheel deals on ebay, these have formula hubs, dt spokes, mavic rims, all proven components and "pro built" for only 130 shipped. And the buyer seems more professional.
I bought that exact same wheelset from that same seller at $139.95 shipped to my door....

Great quality, great packaging, and great price too..!!
Old 04-03-10, 12:30 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gobby1095
Those do seem like an excellent set of wheels. Good rims, good spokes, OK hubs - all in all, excellent value.
Old 04-03-10, 06:18 AM
Tomo_Ishi
Riding Engineer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Darn you guys. Do you know how much a decent order built wheel set cost in Tokyo? ... Somewhere in 300 USD. ... Either way you got an awesome deal. Aerospokes go like 500-600 USD, too! I am totally jealous.
Old 04-03-10, 07:29 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Darn you guys. Do you know how much a decent order built wheel set cost in Tokyo? ... Somewhere in 300 USD.
Build your own.
Old 04-03-10, 07:26 PM
Tomo_Ishi
Riding Engineer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do. You know that.

lol that's the page I use it like a bible.
Old 04-03-10, 10:30 PM
wmgreene85
Mission Creep

Bikes: raleigh macaframa, motobecane record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also bought those wheels early in my FG career. Everyone should note they are extremely dangerous because the wheels are not 700c!! They are sub-standard sized and dangerous because there is not enough wall for the tire to sit adequately. As I was riding the front wheel just fell off! After taking it to my LBS they measured it and long story short was able to get three fingers between the tire and rim when installing the tire and tube. Not good wheels. Utility over fashion.
Old 04-03-10, 11:34 PM
robotphood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So how much did you pay for the B43s? I would be stoked if I paid half of what B43s were worth and got them on accident. Off to craigs to pocket the extra cash for a better wheelset.
Old 04-04-10, 09:57 AM
misterb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robotphood
So how much did you pay for the B43s? I would be stoked if I paid half of what B43s were worth and got them on accident. Off to craigs to pocket the extra cash for a better wheelset.
I got the B43's for $129.00 w/ free shipping. I've sold one so far for $120 on Craigslist and have the other on Ebay now. True, that I did make out on this one but still don't have a "good" front wheel. Will definitely be getting the front on Craigslist or at my LBS.