Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any one else do this when they first got their longtail?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 09:26 PM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I finally got my xtra-cycle built up this am and after work went for a ride and found a pile of rocks and loaded down the free-loader bags with what later measured out to 80lbs just because I could and pedaled it up to my apartment which has about a 1/2 mile long climb where for the last 100-200 yards which has to be 10%.

It really impressed me how well the bike handled with the load and it also impressed me how the climb was no harder than on my cyclocross bike, just much much slower spinning 22-36 gear up the hill but none the less I made it and was no more winded than I would be any other day coming home.

I can't wait till the weekend to go to the grocery and any other errands I can fit in.

These things are great and any one who wants to carry a lot of gear should try one out for sure.
Old 04-14-10, 09:43 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Congrats! I am sure you are really going to love hauling serious amounts of groceries.
Old 04-19-10, 07:35 AM
Chabi Boni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mom

When I got my Yuba, I got out a pillow for a seat and towed my Mom (who was visiting) and her luggage to my Girlfriend's house. People who saw me on that ride still ask me about how she is doing....

(She's fine.)
Old 04-19-10, 01:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,011 Times in 1,710 Posts
That's so funny. I haven't added gratuitous cargo, but I can imagine myself doing that. I certainly have cycled on errands where it was easier to drive my car.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-20-10, 08:17 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I'm going to be picking my Dummy up this month. ( with a bit of luck ) I'm already looking out for an excuse to take a delivery downtown on the way home!
Old 04-21-10, 03:04 AM
eggnoggbubble

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat (size 54 - I'm 5'11"), Surly Pugsley Ops (tires:JJ4.0)

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
hahaha, um not exactly, but I did go out of my way to find stuff I could (usefully) haul! seeing what will fit on has become something of a hobby...

welcome to the fray, you won't look back (except to check your load is still loaded....)
Old 04-21-10, 07:33 AM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to see I am not alone, I especially love the story about hauling your mom. We are going on vacation this weekend and I am taking the xtra-cycle and my pregnant girlfriend actually likes the idea of me hauling us around the beach on the xtra-cycle...gotta put a ring on her finger before she gets away, haha.

We are also going to visit my grandma while down there and there is a good chance I can get them both on the back at once since they are both pretty small.
Old 04-21-10, 08:30 AM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I first got mine I started thinking about anything and everything I could put on the handlebars and frame. Extra lights, front rack, I HAD to find a way to utlilize all four water bottle cages, etc. I've dialed back a bit since then but once in awhile I still get the urge.
Old 04-21-10, 09:01 AM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rocks. I am busting up. I took my bike to the nursery and brought home a lot of greens then hauled away a bunch of unwanted chicken wire, bags of bark and plumbing supplies to some friends who live 5 miles away.
Old 04-21-10, 11:44 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eggnoggbubble
hahaha, um not exactly, but I did go out of my way to find stuff I could (usefully) haul! seeing what will fit on has become something of a hobby...

welcome to the fray, you won't look back (except to check your load is still loaded....
)
Exactly!
Old 08-08-10, 11:45 AM
xargaun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i did the same thing only instead of rocks i went to the market and brought home as much beer as i could stuff in it.
Old 08-08-10, 05:24 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to the world of cargo bikes
Old 08-09-10, 12:05 AM
busted knuckles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am pretty sure I bought a watermelon just so I could haul it on my BD. It is amazing how much wieght you can put on these cargo bikes and not really notice it.
Old 08-10-10, 12:52 AM
memnoch_proxy
nw commuter

Bikes: trek antelope, trek 3900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my XC about four days now. The second day I had it, I hauled another bike find home, and stopped by the bike coop on the way to pick up an old threadless stem and shim for stoker bars. Definitely filled it with groceries--went to Trader Joes and didn't think twice about picking up multiple bottles of mineral water and multiple cans of tomatos. I took a 1 block trip over to school but I hooked up the Burley Bee and in it I put a 12" kids bike, a round sports tote with gloves, frisbees and soccer ball, a 10lb toolbox, my new fenders and my handlebar bag. I let the kids roll around on their bikes while I put my new yellow fenders on. Looking forward to the stoker bars.