Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sub $250 Craigslist bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 07:39 PM
Brandon1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright guys, new guy here. I am looking to get a road bike to ride for exercise locally. I wont be riding 50miles per day, or *needing* a $1000 bike. I am looking for sub $250 bikes on craigslist. I know enough to stay away from Walmart, so I am looking used. So many other hobbies I have are a "well spend a bit more and get more", and yes I know I should double my budget to get more right now, but I simply cant at this point in time, $200 is about it. I have found several bikes on craiglist (Raleigh, GMC, Moto, peugot, trek) that fit my 6'1" frame (which is apparetly a 57-58cm bike?), but I dont know enough about the bikes to know what is cheap junk, or what is decent cheap junk. Anything to look out for? Any brands to stay away from?

Thanks to all who can provide help.
Old 04-27-10, 07:49 PM
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9-5 2009, Scattante XLR TT 2009, Trek Y-Foil 77 1998

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make a trip and ride into the sun:

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik/1709079819.html

charlotte craigslist > for sale / wanted > bicycles
please flag with care:

miscategorized

prohibited

spam/overpost

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
2010 Dawes Lightning Sport Road Bike (New/Assembled) w/ pump and lock - $200 (Fort Mill/Charlotte)

Date: 2010-04-25, 8:40AM EDT
Reply to: sale-rywwb-1709079819@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

NEW, ASSEMBLED 2010 DAWES LIGHTNING SPORT ROAD BIKE

THE LIGHTNING SPORT AL IS THE PERFECT BIKE FOR THE ENTRY ROAD RIDER OR FOR A COMMUTER.
-With eyelets front & rear, racks and/or fenders can be mounted on this bike easily.

Specifications:
Frame/Fork: Advanced Aluminum Alloy / DuraForte CrMo taper blade
Crank/BB/Cassette: Dawes Forged Aluminum 39/52T / SemiCartridge Bearing ST / Index 7Spd
Shifter/Derailleurs: ShimanoIndex StemShift 14 Speed / Shimano Index 14spd Double FR/RR
Wheelset: Dawes DoubleWall Aluminum 700c
Brakeset: Dawes Aluminum Calipers/ Levers
Traditional Road Geometry, Kalloy Bar/Stem/Post

ALSO:
QUICK RELEASE FRT & RR WHEELS
ROAD PEDALS WITH TOE CLIPS & STRAPS {great for riding with bike shoes or street shoes or tennis shoes}
700c ROAD TIRES
ALUMINUM DUAL-PIVOT BRAKES WITH ROAD LEVERS
Size: MEDIUM/LARGE frame fits riders 5'10" to 6'

This bike comes with a FULL LIFE TIME WARRANTY (check www.dawescyclesusa.com for info). It was never used, or taken outdoors for that matter. It was only taken out of the box to completely assemble, minus pumping the tires. I'm also including a mini-pump and a nice LED-lighted combination lock.

2010 LIST PRICE $695. I paid $295 on eBay through a bike liquidator. The frame is a bit too large for me as I'm borderline 5'10" on good days. So I have to let it go. I'm asking $200 firm. Email me through this listing. Thanks!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1709079819
Old 04-27-10, 08:34 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you're going to buy a Bikes Direct bike, buy it from Bikes Direct. At least you get some level of support and warranty, not the Craig's List special, which is...nothing. FWIW, I don't see that bike on the BD website.
Old 04-27-10, 08:36 PM
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9-5 2009, Scattante XLR TT 2009, Trek Y-Foil 77 1998

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its 200 bucks - keep yourself entertained on BD and find the OP a bike in his price range.
Old 04-27-10, 08:36 PM
Brandon1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be honest, I am not sure how I missed that. Still, by the time my 10mpg truck drives the 6hr round trip to charlotte, I could just order that bike new offline shipped to my house.

I am looking at a used Giant bike right now for $150.
Old 04-27-10, 08:40 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just sayin' that what is represented in that ad does not reflect value. Saving the OP $200.
Old 04-27-10, 09:20 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
There are at least two BF bike flippers and several BF members in the Raleigh area. BF member Robbie Tunes is close to you in Nash county. As stated under my avatar, I'm located south of Raleigh and have been known to flip a bike or two.
For $200 in Raleigh you can expect to find a decent, 12 speed, downtube, index shifter road bike. Forget brifters cause it ain't gonna happen. You can easily find a vintage, friction shifting bike, but I'm guessing you want something newer with index shifters. It would help if you post your height and inseam, or, if you know the size frame you ride, post that.
You might want to post over on the C&V forum where the local bike flippers hang out. wrk101 is further west, but he always seems to have something up for sale.
You want to find someone who knows what they're doing. Someone who flips bikes and does all the rebuilding themselves. They should have lubed both hubs and the bottom bracket (BB if it's a pre 1995 bike). Tires should be new or in excellent condition. The chain should be in nearly new condition. If they have a Park CC-2, the chain should not measure more than 0.6 wear. The wheels should be reasonably true. Don't get hung up on the small stuff like bar tape, keep it mechanical. Don't forget to check both hubs and the BB for wobble. A good flipper will NEVER sell a bike with wobble in a bearing surface. Ask if the cables were recently replaced because they will need adjustment if they were.
Old 04-27-10, 09:36 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Some tips for buying off Craigslist...

Keep in mind any excess costs you may need to put in when buying a bike. Does a bike need a new chain, bar tape, or tires? Does it also need to be recabled? This can easy cost up to $50 on top of the actual bike cost. If this is the case see if you can negotiate the price and mention you'll have to spend money to get the bike running.

Stay away from rusty bikes, unless it's just a little bit of surface rust. This usually means the bike has been kept outside.

Check the bike thoroughly. Make sure the wheels are true. Check to see if any components have been replaced.

Buy a bike only if it fits or you can resell it easily for the same price. No need to spend too much on a bike that doesn't fit you.

If you can, be patient and check Craigslist a lot. I've gotten great deals on CL by being patient and quick to respond to listings. My best deal was probably a Trek in great condition that I bought for $125. I spent about $20 on new cables and bar tape, put a few hundred miles on it, and sold it for $250. I also have a nice Bianchi I got for $100... I still have it as my commuter bike, but if I ever were to sell it, I bet I could get about $250.
Old 04-27-10, 09:40 PM
Brandon1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, and yes roccobike, there is one flipper I have been talking with that deals with lower end bikes, just have not made it over to his house yet to check the bikes out.

BTW, I am 6' 1", 215, w/ a 32 inseam.