Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Giro or Tour of Cali?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 11:35 AM
Roadierookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giro or Tour of Cali?

Which one would you rather follow and why?

I am personally interested in seeing what Lance's fitness will be like in Cali and if Levi can 4-peat with a stronger field, tougher course and later date.
Old 05-06-10, 12:12 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Liked 3,360 Times in 1,789 Posts
we gotta pick one?!?! between both running simultaneously, this will be the
best cycling month/period of the year.

living in california, i will likely watch 90-100% of the televised coverage combined
with attending the mountain stage from palmdale to big bear.

always try to catch as much giro coverage as possible but don't know this year's
broadcast schedule (how much or little, replays, etc) yet. more than any other race,
i watch the giro coverage for the rolling travelogue and scenery it provides just as much
as i watch it for the actual racing-especially in the dolomites-beautiful, beautiful
corner of the earth.

in both cases, just wanna see competitive, close races where one attack or bad moment
could make the difference between podium or not. the giro has provided better suspense
until/including the final day lately (2005, 2007, 2008 & 2009). think that the toc
will be (part) of a better tuneup for the tour de france than slogging through some of
the crazy weather and courses that the giro organizers always dream up.

despite much naysaying regarding the head to head aspect of both races, methinks
the toc did quite well with the quality of rider that will be in attendance the first year
of the giro/toc overlapping conflict. gotta feeling it will only improve. wonder if one
of the unintended consequences will be better rosters later at the vuelta
instead of it hosting the racing equivalent of the "loser's bracket" or summer school
that it now does (for the most part).

Last edited by diphthong; 05-06-10 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-06-10, 12:20 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,191 Times in 698 Posts
Giro in the am, TOC in the pm. Really pretty simple, no?
Old 05-06-10, 12:23 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Liked 3,360 Times in 1,789 Posts
^touché my friend. always seek the win-win...
Old 05-06-10, 12:51 PM
$ick3nin.vend3t
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Tour of California. All my best friends live there.
Old 05-06-10, 01:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
ToC Stage 1 will go right by the very window I'm looking through now. I think I'll be following this one a bit more closely.
Old 05-06-10, 02:12 PM
botto 

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadierookie
Which one would you rather follow and why?

I am personally interested in seeing what Lance's fitness will be like in Cali and if Levi can 4-peat with a stronger field, tougher course and later date
the giro. any other stupid questions?
Old 05-06-10, 03:03 PM
Roadierookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Giro will be on Universal Sports (universalsports.com). How about Cali?
Old 05-06-10, 03:15 PM
$ick3nin.vend3t
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadierookie
The Giro will be on Universal Sports (universalsports.com). How about Cali?
Tour of Cali will be available at...

https://cyclingtorrents.nl/browse.php

Last edited by $ick3nin.vend3t; 05-11-10 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-06-10, 09:11 PM
bikeride
smell'n bacon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tour of California LIVE. The Giro on TV.

I knew being furloughed was a good thing.
Old 05-07-10, 01:07 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Giro in the am, TOC in the pm. Really pretty simple, no?
You mean the Giro in the afternoon, and the ToC in the middle of the night. ;-)

Meh. Who am I kidding -- I can't stay up past 11:00 these days.
Old 05-07-10, 11:00 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No ToC on TV???

- Will Rogers
Old 05-07-10, 01:34 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Liked 238 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeride
Tour of California LIVE. The Giro on TV.

I knew being furloughed was a good thing.
And being called back to work this week after four months off is the exact opposite.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 05-07-10, 01:36 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Liked 238 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
No ToC on TV???
Versus. There's a preview show at 1400 this Sunday, then every day coverage during the ToC.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 05-08-10, 10:00 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which of these is a better "TdF tune-up"?
Old 05-08-10, 01:34 PM
rivethead

Bikes: 2008 Felt F85 w/Rival, 2010 Ridley Crossbow EL w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsuru
Which of these is a better "TdF tune-up"?
ToC/Suisse/Dauphine

Ask Carlos Sastre and Denis Menchov how well riding the Giro prepared them for the Tour de France last summer.
Old 05-08-10, 01:43 PM
sancle1

Bikes: CANNONDALE R200,SPEACIALIZED LANGSTER,ROCKY MOUNTAIN THIN AIR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm from cali but the Giro is a world class race and in my opinion a better race than the tour. the rabid tifosi, make it even more exciting
Old 05-08-10, 04:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
We had some riders from Team Type 1 and United Healthcare on the River Ride today. Let's just say that the pace was pretty brisk.
Old 05-09-10, 10:44 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rivethead
ToC/Suisse/Dauphine

Ask Carlos Sastre and Denis Menchov how well riding the Giro prepared them for the Tour de France last summer.
A blanket that's full of holes. Lots of riders have ridden the Giro as prep and won the Tour. A few have won both in the same year. No TOC winner has won the TDF once they've filled the cup after the race. For Menchov, the best prep for any race is a Basic Bike Handling 101 class at the local community college BTW.

Long list of Dauphine winners who have failed at the TDF...

Only Levi, (maybe Zabriskie) and the domestic fodder are riding the TOC to win. It's a training race for the rest. Many teams like BMC and Liquigas are fielding "B' squads and Astana, Katusha and Sky aren't even showing up. Garmin, a US based team, sent their best stage winning hopeful (an American) to the Giro.

8 stages vs. 3 weeks. Bakersfield vs. Rome. Big Bear vs. the Gavia. Santa Rosa/Davis vs. the Stelvio. Face reality, the TOC isn't in the conversation with the Giro. I'll get up early to watch the live feed from Italy, and I might scan the results for the TOC.
Old 05-09-10, 11:13 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
A blanket that's full of holes. Lots of riders have ridden the Giro as prep and won the Tour. A few have won both in the same year. No TOC winner has won the TDF once they've filled the cup after the race. For Menchov, the best prep for any race is a Basic Bike Handling 101 class at the local community college BTW.

Long list of Dauphine winners who have failed at the TDF...

Only Levi, (maybe Zabriskie) and the domestic fodder are riding the TOC to win. It's a training race for the rest. Many teams like BMC and Liquigas are fielding "B' squads and Astana, Katusha and Sky aren't even showing up. Garmin, a US based team, sent their best stage winning hopeful (an American) to the Giro.

8 stages vs. 3 weeks. Bakersfield vs. Rome. Big Bear vs. the Gavia. Santa Rosa/Davis vs. the Stelvio. Face reality, the TOC isn't in the conversation with the Giro. I'll get up early to watch the live feed from Italy, and I might scan the results for the TOC.
Yep. Ask any professional cyclist in the world which race he'd rather win, the Giro or ToC? Only Levi might try to throw some nonsense out about the much coveted ToC. Beyond him, the ToC doesn't even stand up well against the Monuments.
Old 05-10-10, 05:57 AM
rivethead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A blanket that's full of holes. Lots of riders have ridden the Giro as prep and won the Tour. A few have won both in the same year. No TOC winner has won the TDF once they've filled the cup after the race.
I didn't say that TOC was better than the Giro. I said it's better prep for the Tour than the Giro. And you seem to be ignoring the fact that the ToC is an entirely different race now that it's in late May. Were it still in February I wouldn't suggest it was better prep than the Giro.

At any rate, they're both great races to watch.
Old 05-10-10, 07:25 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rivethead
I didn't say that TOC was better than the Giro. I said it's better prep for the Tour than the Giro.
And you were wrong. For the Americans it's easier logistically if they want to stay close to home or impress a new sponsor. For the Euros it's a long transatlantic flight with lost days on either end for a motorpacing session where they can deal with jet lag and a whole new raft of germs and viruses. Saxo sent big guns because they are desperately searching for a new sponsor and need/want exposure. Otherwise there's not a single non-american podium contender, while, if you hadn't noticed, there are a bunch racing the Giro including Sastre, who apparently thinks the Giro might not have been his problem last year.
Old 05-10-10, 10:04 AM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, TOC online live every stage wire to wire. Giro right now on the DVR when I need to sleep in.
Old 05-10-10, 11:32 AM
exhumed

Bikes: 09 Giant TCR Advanced 3, 05 Felt TK2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I plan on going to the Big Bear stage and the DTLA TT, but I think the Giro is more exciting and has been so far.
Old 05-10-10, 07:14 PM
rivethead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And you were wrong.
Incorrect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.