Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Adding a carbon seatpost

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Adding a carbon seatpost

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-04, 08:31 AM
Chef23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adding a carbon seatpost

I am thinking of changing out the stock seatpost on my Klein (Bontrager Sport) for a carbon seatpost. I have been thinking about the Specialized Pave as I liked it on the Roubaix I rode. Is this a good investment of $100 and what are some recommendations on posts. I don't know much about them.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-04, 08:48 AM
larue

Bikes: Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a good investment. I recommend one from either Deda or Easton. You can get a look at both names at competitivecyclist.com and actually they have a sell on an easton for $89 https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...&MODE=SPECIALS
Between the two if you spend the money I like the Deda Blackstick.
Also check ebay for carbon seatposts, many people take the post that came with their bike off and sale it as they may already have a post they like. I'm bidding on one right now...wait maybe I shouldn't have told you that. Outbid me and I'll have to kill you. heh.
Old 09-07-04, 08:54 AM
Brahman Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with Easton. It is hands down one of the best carbon posts on the market. I ride the EA-70 and absolutely love it. Go to the Easton bike website and it will give you all the features, specs and a cool download on how they stress test their carbon products.

"The bicycle has a soul. If you are able to love it as it deserves, it will give you emotions you will never forget." -Mario Cipollini
Old 09-07-04, 11:11 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waste of money unless you have a crap load sticking out or its just for looks.
Old 09-07-04, 11:45 AM
jbhowat
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't real removing weight is ever a waste of money. $100 isn't that much, but you're right - you won't feel the weight difference, but when I added my carbon seat post I could definitely FEEL a slightly smoother ride. Obviously my road bike is still a pretty harsh ride, but it added a bit of shock absorbing.
Old 09-07-04, 12:15 PM
larue

Bikes: Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
exactly, having a carbon seatpost is not just about losing a few grams of weight, but it also dampens the ride more than an alu post. And they have looks to boot.
Old 09-07-04, 02:31 PM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys are talking yourselfs into carbon seatposts but thats ok,hell i got one but with zero difference. I just dont have enough post sticking out to make any difference.
Old 09-07-04, 05:06 PM
edmaverik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Deda MagicStick and it does take some of the road jitters out and hell, its a few grams that I like off my C'dale Six13.
Old 09-07-04, 05:47 PM
Hitchy

Bikes: how long have you got?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edmaverik
I have a Deda MagicStick and it does take some of the road jitters out and hell, its a few grams that I like off my C'dale Six13.

G'day,

why would you worry about a 'few grams' on a 6-13???....many acrbon posts are no lighter than there ALu equivilants...If you want it for the ride, or the panache, or any other reason...go for it...but the weight savings are so minimal as to not make any difference whatsoever!.....but hey....if the manufacturer has convinced you otherwise...more power to 'em...its your money,

cheers,

hitchy
Old 09-07-04, 06:16 PM
boze
gentleman of leisure

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hitchy, are you sure you're spelling your name right? ;^)

toss-up: how much post should be showing for it to make a good comfort difference? i have 11.5cm (or 4.5") on my bike right now. but then since i got a steel frame i probably wouldn't benefit as much as somebody riding a Dale or something.
Old 09-07-04, 06:32 PM
R600DuraAce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shokhead
Waste of money unless you have a crap load sticking out or its just for looks.

Agree. I am using Ritchey WCS post. The saddle angle is "free" adjustment. You can set ANY angle you want. Weight? It weights about 210g. A carbon post is probably under 200g. I used to ride a carbon post but realized that over tightening the seat clamp can crack the post.
Old 09-07-04, 07:18 PM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shokhead
You guys are talking yourselfs into carbon seatposts but thats ok,hell i got one but with zero difference. I just dont have enough post sticking out to make any difference.
Perhaps try a smaller frame?

That's the point. I have an EV3 Alu (no carbon stays) with sloping top tube. It's a stiff mf'er. I also have a EA-70 post and it makes a difference when I'm out for 70+ miles on a Saturday. Weight doesn't matter (as long as it isn't significantly heavier), but comfort adds up.
Old 09-07-04, 07:30 PM
LapDog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched to the seat post you are considering. The one with the "viscoelastic dampening". Well, if you want it to help reduce weight, great. If you think it will help dampen vibrations.......well, in my opinion it doesn't help any.
Old 09-07-04, 07:50 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Has any manufacturer provided any vibration test data for their carbon components? It would be a straightforward test to measure the so-called vibration damping properties of a carbon stem versus aluminum, steel, or another brand stem. If it really makes a difference, where are the test results?

The same goes for forks, frames, handlebars, etc. If carbon components made a difference, you would think that the manufacturers would be touting how their carbon stuff has more damping than the other guy's stuff.
Old 09-07-04, 08:28 PM
R600DuraAce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Larger bike parts like frame and wheels may behind a lot from carbon. I know because I race with a pair of Zipp 303. Seatpost? Stem? Handle bar? Crankarms?? In fact, pros use carbon handle bar and stem because they are stiffer.

Originally Posted by supcom
Has any manufacturer provided any vibration test data for their carbon components? It would be a straightforward test to measure the so-called vibration damping properties of a carbon stem versus aluminum, steel, or another brand stem. If it really makes a difference, where are the test results?

The same goes for forks, frames, handlebars, etc. If carbon components made a difference, you would think that the manufacturers would be touting how their carbon stuff has more damping than the other guy's stuff.