Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Proper emergency braking technique.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 09:36 AM
korean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the most effective way of braking from a high speed?
Old 06-15-10, 09:46 AM
aggro_jo
sittin' in

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pull the levers back towards you.

you're welcome
Old 06-15-10, 09:48 AM
robbie_vlad
Resident Badass

Bikes: 2009 Raleigh Supercourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggro_jo
pull the levers back towards you.

you're welcome

This, but not so much that you lock-up and start to skid, that will just make your stopping distance increase.
Old 06-15-10, 09:49 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by korean
What is the most effective way of braking from a high speed?
Well if you've sorted out how to pedal then I'm assuming you get the concept of braking, now define "emergency" or do you mean the right technique to slow down while on a descent?
Old 06-15-10, 09:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,385 Posts
had to do it today. get up on the pedals and shift your body weight as far back ass possible without losing the saddle and press both front and back brakes firmly applying increasing pressure as you gauge your stopping distance and remaining pavement before doom. it's not a bad idea to have a plan "B" in case of catastrophic brake failure or in case your stopping distance exceeds your remaining pavement before doom. a plan "B" would be how to divert your trajectory to avoid the doom, or somehow bail off the bike entirely. I never had to use a plan "B" that I recall, but then I tend to block out bad memories ...
Old 06-15-10, 09:55 AM
4000Miles
for affordable housing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The above, plus I would highly recommend unclipping if you have the presence of mind to do so...
Old 06-15-10, 09:56 AM
korean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've driven motorcycles before and hard braking is a tedious art.

once you lock up the rears, you have to stay committed or you'll wiggle and likely top side.

once you lock up the fronts, you're... screwed.

is it the same on a bicycle?
Old 06-15-10, 09:56 AM
furballi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lock both hands on the handlebar so you don't flip over. Lean back as far as you can. Apply only the front brake and modulate it so that the rear wheel is barely making contact with the road. Practice this in a large parking lot. Shoot for 1 ft stopping distance for each mph. I'm right-handed, so I set my front brake lever on the right side. I only use the rear brake when coasting to a stop.
Old 06-15-10, 09:58 AM
korean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why wouldn't you use the rear brake?
Old 06-15-10, 10:03 AM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why wouldn't you use the rear brake?
At maximum braking, assuming you reach that when you would endo and skidding doesn't occur, there's 0 weight on the rear tire, so no braking force is possible. You'll just lock up the rear tire, which might cause it to whip around sideways.
Old 06-15-10, 10:03 AM
furballi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

once you lock up the rears, you have to stay committed or you'll wiggle and likely top side.

That's why it's best to stay off the rear brake during an emergency stop. The front brake is strong enough to flip the bike. +70% of the braking power comes from the front. As you quickly ramp up front brake pressure, the down-force at the rear wheel will also drop quickly to zero, which can often result in sudden rear wheel lock-up if you apply the rear brake, sending the bike into a fish-tail.
Old 06-15-10, 10:05 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Balance the brakes. Three or four times as much squeeze on the front than the back. Back may lock up, no big issue. Front does most of the work but if your front wheel locks you'll be doing well to stay upright.

Practice.

Enjoy!
Old 06-15-10, 10:08 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All of the above with one qualification. If the surface is poor - wet, gravelly, or slippery for any other reason - that's the only time to give more emphasis to the back brake. You might be able to control a back wheel skid, but if you lose the front wheel you're gone.
Old 06-15-10, 10:11 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 894 Times in 458 Posts

It isn't the same on a bike, because the weight and torque are different.

You can easily modulate the rear brake, and let off when it begins to skid without top siding.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-15-10, 10:13 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Liked 579 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
At maximum braking, assuming you reach that when you would endo and skidding doesn't occur, there's 0 weight on the rear tire, so no braking force is possible. You'll just lock up the rear tire, which might cause it to whip around sideways.
Yes, I've grabbed both brakes in panic stop situation, and the back wheel locked up. Then it can slide sideways very easily, so I was fishtailing until I let off both brakes for an instant. (I could have just let off the back, but a panic stop with fishtailing added on doesn't help with decision making)

So, both brakes in a normal stop, but front only for a maximum braking effort. And get back on the saddle and brace your arms so you will stay back.

This all applies to straight line braking. I still involuntarily brake in a sharper than expected turn. The best strategy is to brake before the turn, then let off, so the tires can use all their traction to follow the curve.
Old 06-15-10, 10:14 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
1. Drops. If you think you may be getting into a dicey situation, get into the drops first.

2. Brake both brakes hard and even. When the rear starts to get light or lift, you've reached maximum braking. This does NOT include steering, i.e. if you need to turn also then you can't use this general rule.

If you don't turn and you're reasonably stable, you can "stoppie", i.e. slow hard with rear wheel in air.

3. If you need to turn, ease on the brakes, turn, and brake again.

4. If you lock the front, get off of the front brake immediately, unless you feel supremely confident, you zen out and know you can make it, or can't think that fast.

cdr
Old 06-15-10, 10:15 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by furballi
That's why it's best to stay off the rear brake during an emergency stop. The front brake is strong enough to flip the bike. +70% of the braking power comes from the front. As you quickly ramp up front brake pressure, the down-force at the rear wheel will also drop quickly to zero, which can often result in sudden rear wheel lock-up if you apply the rear brake, sending the bike into a fish-tail.
This is why you push your weight back. Butt cantilevered just above the rear wheel,and chest on the seat, you are not going to flip the bike, and you'll have enough weight on the back wheel to get some effective braking force.

You're right that most of the braking force comes from the front wheel, but in a true emergency situation where a foot of stopping distance could be life or death, you want all the braking force you can get.

And if you've ever mountain biked, correcting from a locked rear tire is not that big of deal.
Old 06-15-10, 10:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

when you get up on the pedals you lower your center of gravity and so that's why there's is still a benefit from using the rear brake
Old 06-15-10, 10:17 AM
rumrunn6

in winter (snow and ice) you use just the back brake. same can be said for a sandy road
Old 06-15-10, 10:18 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by wens
The problem with argument is that it assumes that maximum braking force of the front tire is limited by endo'ing, which it is not.

Maximum braking force occurs just before the tire skids. You can easily skid a front tire without endo'ing simply by pushing your weight back.

So you can have the front wheel at the threshold of locking,and still have weight on the rear wheel, allowing some additional braking force to be added by the rear brake.
Old 06-15-10, 10:20 AM
furballi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Experience cyclists also go with a larger front tire on their road bikes. As the weight transfers from the back to the front, the larger contact patch of the front tire gives you much shorter stopping distance. I've done the dual brakes modulation, but the shortest emergency stopping distance for me is always with the front brake. I can flip the bike 1/2 second into braking. That too fast for any human to modulate the rear brake. Normal reaction time is 0.1 second.

If you don't have a powerful front brake that could quickly lock the front wheel, then you should use both brakes to stop. Always slow down way down on slippery surface.
Old 06-15-10, 10:20 AM
rumrunn6

re: motorcycle same as bike. yes. you can skid the rear and stay in control but once you lock up and skid the front you've lost steering.
Old 06-15-10, 10:27 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Experience cyclists also go with a larger front tire on their road bikes. As the weight transfers from the back to the front, the larger contact patch of the front tire gives you much shorter stopping distance.
You realize you are contradicting yourself here. In the lower part of this post,and in your previous post, you imply that front braking force is limited by the point at which the bike endo's. Thus a larger front wheel, giving a larger contact patch will do nothing for stopping distance, because you're still limited by the rate of acceleration that flips the bike, by your assumption.

I can flip the bike 1/2 second into braking. That too fast for any human to modulate the rear brake. .
If you're flipping the bike you're not doing it right. Push your weight way back, and I guarantee you the front wheel will skid before the bike flips.
Old 06-15-10, 10:30 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The problem with argument is that it assumes that maximum braking force of the front tire is limited by endo'ing, which it is not.

Maximum braking force occurs just before the tire skids. You can easily skid a front tire without endo'ing simply by pushing your weight back.
No, I think max. braking force is endo limited. Jobst Brandt says it's at around 0.6g (not very much, really). Except on tandems and recumbents, or on dicey surfaces. If you can skid a front tire "easily", please post to youtube...

PS -- I have recovered from a front wheel slide when I hit a frost patch while braking, not sure what that proves, though.
Old 06-15-10, 10:30 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
re: motorcycle same as bike. yes. you can skid the rear and stay in control but once you lock up and skid the front you've lost steering.

I think the big difference with a motorcycle is if you lock the rear wheel, then let off the rear brake, regain traction, while power is still being applied to the rear wheel, it often leads to a high side, which can be very bad at motorcycle speeds. Hence the hesitancy to use rear brake on a Motorcycle.

A bicycle doesn't have the same problem with a sudden application of power as the rear wheel regains traction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.