Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

zero jail time for intentionally running down bicyclists in Brookfield, Illinois

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

zero jail time for intentionally running down bicyclists in Brookfield, Illinois

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 05:37 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

20-year-old driver plead guilty to aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and leaving the scene of an accident. 2 years probation. No jail time.

https://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...ik-fabian.html
https://www.mybikeadvocate.com/2010/0...-time-for.html
Old 06-24-10, 06:04 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Horrible, horrible.... But one thing I've noticed, almost every response on that thread is blasting the judge on this.
Old 06-24-10, 06:42 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
I have to wonder what would have happened if instead of choosing to target cyclists they had instead chosen children, pregnant women, grandmothers, lesbians, priests, etc.
This quote taken from one of the links is relevant:- In this world where we are demanding equality, there appears to be inequalities that go unrecognized. You might notice that a woman can kill her husband premeditated and not get jail time. Whereas, a man may get jail time for just striking his wife. An old man can get jail time for having an accident after going the wrong way on a freeway. A young woman may not get jail time for killing several people with her car. It's like the game of "paper-rock-scissors". So we could deduce:- female beats male, young beats old, motorist beats cyclist, corporate beats personal, rich beats poor.

Part of our legal system is based on common law. In common law, there is no written "right" or "wrong". The judge / jury decide and this sets a precedent for the next occasion when a similar incident occurs. But inequality creeps subtly into this system because an entity with more money can afford a better legal team and the probability of them winning in court is higher. So after a number of years we have a legal system with precedents which suggest the legal outcome should be favorable toward the corporate entity or the wealthy individual. I guess you can see that motorists will tend to get favor from this biased system. Motorists almost always have insurance and the cyclist may not. The motorist's insurer does not want a big personal injury payout so they fight hard in court. Hence a precedent is set and this leads to more precedents. The judge may conclude that the insurance company will appeal until they get what they want. So the judge gives a biased decision to avoid further legal action. I guess the old wild west was a better system in some ways.
Old 06-24-10, 06:55 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
Horrible, horrible.... But one thing I've noticed, almost every response on that thread is blasting the judge on this.
So if not the judge who should people be blasting? I mean isn't it the judge who has the final say in what the sentence is?
Old 06-24-10, 08:07 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gpsblake
The judge asked for it with that decision.
Old 06-24-10, 09:44 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
DC, I think blake was a bit surprised at the pro-cyclist postings, that's all.

That judge should be put on the cheapest, crappiest bike anyone can find, and be forced to commute through rush-hour traffic -- with a target on his back.

This isn't a miscarriage of justice -- it's an abortion of justice.
Old 06-24-10, 10:12 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
DC, I think blake was a bit surprised at the pro-cyclist postings, that's all.

That judge should be put on the cheapest, crappiest bike anyone can find, and be forced to commute through rush-hour traffic -- with a target on his back.

This isn't a miscarriage of justice -- it's an abortion of justice.
DM,

Agreed, especially when one considers that:

a) both men admitted their guilt
b) both men admitted that they were drunk
c) both men admitted that it was a bet that one wouldn't hit a cyclist

I'd like to know what that judges thought process was in handing out such low sentence. I mean they confessed for crying out loud.

Last edited by Digital_Cowboy; 06-24-10 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-24-10, 11:54 PM
Crank Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Admitted drunk driving and intentionally hitting people with a motor vehicle and the one gets 10 days and the other only two years probation. No license suspensions?
Old 06-25-10, 12:39 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Crank Turner
Admitted drunk driving and intentionally hitting people with a motor vehicle and the one gets 10 days and the other only two years probation. No license suspensions?
That's about the size of it, plus given that one be the other that he wouldn't hit a cyclist doesn't that move it up to premeditated? And let's not forget that they were underage when they were drinking. And at least one of them didn't have a valid license. Both the DA and the judge should resign or be fired. I'd like to know what the hell they were thinking.
Old 06-25-10, 08:36 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 858 Posts
This happens all the time, when we get judges and jury members who drive cars but don't ride bikes. Too many of these folks perceive cycling as obviously and inherently dangerous, and have the attitude that we are somehow "asking for it." There can be no equality under the law until this changes.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-25-10, 10:19 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Crank Turner
But I'm sure the kid needed to get around. And there would be no way for him to get to places like his friends' houses and the bar, if they took his car away. Transportation would be impossible without his license, and we can't have people inconvenienced like that. After all, boys will be boys. Oh, sure, they could have taken his license away and he could have used a bike for transportation, but doesn't this case show how dangerous riding a bike is? </sarcasm>

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
And at least one of them didn't have a valid license.
In fairness, though, only one of them needed a valid license, so if there were two in the car, it's OK for one of them not to have a valid license. ( There's no such thing as a passenger's license! )
Old 06-25-10, 12:31 PM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DM,

Agreed, especially when one considers that:

a) both men admitted their guilt
b) both men admitted that they were drunk
c) both men admitted that it was a bet that one wouldn't hit a cyclist

I'd like to know what that judges thought process was in handing out such low sentence. I mean they confessed for crying out loud.
"Your honor I have learned my lesson and next time I would not make it a bet."
. . /L
=()>()
Old 06-25-10, 12:57 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 41 Posts
It takes a LONG time to plant outrage and make it legislatively effective...just look at MADD and SADD; and even now drunk drivers get a pass. But it is a much larger problem in context, for our judicial system is out of control. The same judges who let drunk drivers kill cyclists allow men to sh*t their pants, stink to high heaven, sleep and fart in local libraries, because it is a 'political statement about homelessness.'

I have said if before in a different board...until a drunk driver plows into a graduation ceremony for the children of judges, cops, and prosecutors, and smears their bodies over 200 feet of roadway, and then drives off into the sunset (I didn't see them...the sun was in my eyes!) there will be no action taken.

roughstuff
Old 06-25-10, 12:58 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
This happens all the time, when we get judges and jury members who drive cars but don't ride bikes. Too many of these folks perceive cycling as obviously and inherently dangerous, and have the attitude that we are somehow "asking for it." There can be no equality under the law until this changes.
And sadly as has been noted several times before, until gasoline hits and stays at $6.00 or $10.00 a gallon and more people start riding bikes that attitude isn't like to change anytime soon.
Old 06-25-10, 01:05 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
But I'm sure the kid needed to get around. And there would be no way for him to get to places like his friends' houses and the bar, if they took his car away. Transportation would be impossible without his license, and we can't have people inconvenienced like that. After all, boys will be boys. Oh, sure, they could have taken his license away and he could have used a bike for transportation, but doesn't this case show how dangerous riding a bike is? </sarcasm>
Find the oldest, rustiest, creakiest box store bicycle and make them ride that. Or make them buy a monthly bus pass and ride the bus.

In fairness, though, only one of them needed a valid license, so if there were two in the car, it's OK for one of them not to have a valid license. ( There's no such thing as a passenger's license! )
Ah but the "problem" is that both of them did take turns driving the car and hitting innocent bicyclists. So both of them did need a valid license. And let's not forget that both of them were under (and I think still are) the legal drinking age. Where were they drinking, or where did they get the alcohol from?
Old 06-25-10, 01:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

[...] both of them did take turns driving the car and hitting innocent bicyclists. So both of them did need a valid license.
I didn't see that, but you're right.
Old 06-25-10, 01:10 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Wow, that's bad. I live close enough to there to have voted for the State's Attorney, but I'm not going to do that again!
Old 06-25-10, 01:11 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, until there's an advocacy group that takes a reasonable message mainstream (reasonable meaning focusing on safety of all cyclists--children and adults--not an "us vs. them" rant denouncing all automobile drivers), public opinion may not shift. My father was killed by a drunk driver when I was 10 years old. (The drunk driver ran a stop sign and plowed into the front of my father's car.) The driver, with multiple drunk driving convictions before this fatal accident, was given no jail time, just probation. At the time of my father's death, the general consensus was that drunk driving wasn't a serious offense and courts shouldn't throw people in jail, even if the drunk driver killed someone. Only after MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) campaigned extensively, did public opinion begin to change somewhat. MADD has been able, in a reasonable voice, make everyone identify with the victims and family members of victims of drunk drivers. That's what needs to happen with the issue of aggressive driving, but again, you can't come out ranting like lunatics, denouncing all automobile drivers. You have to deliver your message in a tone that will be heard by all. The minute you start denouncing all drivers, most will tune you out.
Old 06-25-10, 01:36 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I didn't see that, but you're right.
It was in both articles.

The passenger bet his friend the driver that he wouldn't hit a cyclist, and after the driver hit the first cyclist they changed positions so that the other person could hit a cyclist. Doesn't making it a bet show premeditation?
Old 06-25-10, 01:42 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Wow, that's bad. I live close enough to there to have voted for the State's Attorney, but I'm not going to do that again!
In the next election vote for the opposition so that hopefully the current State Attorney/DA is voted out of office.
Old 06-25-10, 01:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

It was in both articles.
Yeah ... I didn't read them. People summarized the (seemingly) relevant facts here, like that the driver confessed. I decided that reading the lurid details would be depressing. And, in this case, I made a bad assumption and put my foot in my mouth.
Old 06-25-10, 02:07 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
Well, until there's an advocacy group that takes a reasonable message mainstream (reasonable meaning focusing on safety of all cyclists--children and adults--not an "us vs. them" rant denouncing all automobile drivers), public opinion may not shift. My father was killed by a drunk driver when I was 10 years old. (The drunk driver ran a stop sign and plowed into the front of my father's car.) The driver, with multiple drunk driving convictions before this fatal accident, was given no jail time, just probation. At the time of my father's death, the general consensus was that drunk driving wasn't a serious offense and courts shouldn't throw people in jail, even if the drunk driver killed someone. Only after MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) campaigned extensively, did public opinion begin to change somewhat. MADD has been able, in a reasonable voice, make everyone identify with the victims and family members of victims of drunk drivers. That's what needs to happen with the issue of aggressive driving, but again, you can't come out ranting like lunatics, denouncing all automobile drivers. You have to deliver your message in a tone that will be heard by all. The minute you start denouncing all drivers, most will tune you out.
You make good points and again we know that there unfortunately are still some areas where drunk driving isn't treated as a serious problem. And is treated more as a "boys will be boys" type of thing.

As someone else has said until some drunk crashes into either a graduation or bus stop with the children of judges, prosecutors and police nothing will change.
Old 06-25-10, 02:13 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah ... I didn't read them. People summarized the (seemingly) relevant facts here, like that the driver confessed. I decided that reading the lurid details would be depressing. And, in this case, I made a bad assumption and put my foot in my mouth.
SF,

Not a problem. Given that they both confessed their obscenely light sentences do not make any sense at all.
Old 06-25-10, 02:21 PM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Couldn't both cyclists pursue civil damages, loss of work, damage to bicycles, etc.?
Old 06-25-10, 03:30 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Treespeed
Couldn't both cyclists pursue civil damages, loss of work, damage to bicycles, etc.?
Yes, but the stories indicated that neither cyclist was seriously hurt, so no major civil suit worth persuing.

That said, if I were the cyclist, I would file a claim with each of the drivers insurance companies. I would include news reports and the court transcript in my damages claim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.