Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you carry (a cell phone) and how

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 10:15 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts

While some continue to argue the merits of exercising their Second Amendment RIGHT a more troublesome issue for me is how to carry a modern (cell phone) multi purpose device on a bicycle.

I had a tiny little flip phone that I could carry in one of those little Topeak clip-on stem bags. But, my wife required a key pad and the boss (my work boss) offered to pay for an upgrade and so now I have a Motorolla Droid which of course will not fit into the Topeak bag, is too fragile and large to go into the saddle bag with the CO2 and tire paddles and other tools and does not fit into my cycling shorts (which generally have no pockets and is too heavy to put into the rear pocket of a cycling "jersey" so was wondering if anyone has suggestions for how, where, what to carry a cell phone?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts or ideas.
Old 07-06-10, 10:31 AM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear regular shorts over my cycling shorts, so I stick my phone in my pocket, or if not there, I ride with a messenger bag, so it goes in there.

However, i'm familiar with the droid, it's big, but I don't see how it's too heavy for a cycling jersey... i've carried bigger things in mine. Unless you're worried about falling on it?
Old 07-06-10, 10:45 AM
Roaddaddy

Bikes: Mezzo D9, Marin Treviso, Univega Via Montega

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put my Treo into a ziplock sandwich bag (togther with a bit of cash and a credit card), stash the bag into the back pocket of my jersey and don't even notice it's there while riding. The bag keeps everything dry.
Old 07-06-10, 11:10 AM
John Coloccia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually don't use a belt holster for my iPhone, but I keep one in my bike bag. I toss the phone in the holster and the toss it in the bag. The leather does a perfectly fine job of protecting it as far as I can tell.
Old 07-06-10, 11:30 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Good ideas, thanks, aside from myself and my particular problem and phone and bike, how do you carry your phone on your bike? I could actually answer the phone and talk while riding, you can see the little Topeak thing on my stem. Maybe I should go hands free. Didn't they used to make some sort of belt like thing for joggers to carry their Walkmen back when they played tapes and discs?

Here is my bike that I ride now since getting it 95% of the time, small saddle bag under seat is pretty small and my ex-roadie (not sure how much I should say "ex" as I am pretty much a roadie) tendencies preclude purchasing a larger bag, I think?

Old 07-06-10, 11:33 AM
kandyredcoi
calm down its just a bike

Bikes: PK Ripper FG, raleigh folder, felt z5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on a lite day, inside a small saddle bag under my saddle

on cold, heavy rides, i bring a sweater in a backpack, so i throw in all my junk in the pack, including my cell
Old 07-06-10, 11:42 AM
common man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just get a small handlebar bag...makes easy to carry a lot of stuff like camera, wallet, keys, etc. it's in front of you so if it falls you'll notice. it won't get in the way of your biking either.

https://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/fell/ima...JFandBike.jpeg

i have it and love it. i can't imagine how i struggled all those days without it! mine cost me 18 at lbs. the above picture is just something i found on google.,
Old 07-06-10, 12:11 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I just put my phone in a sandwich bag and stick it in my jersey. I dont even notice it there.
Old 07-06-10, 02:00 PM
Bikealou

Bikes: Mongoose passed on to my son, Miyata, Tailwind, V-Rex, De Rosa, Safari, just added a Bike Friday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the bikes I ride the most have rear racks. My cell phone goes in its leather holster then in a trunk bag on the rear rack. Might be a bit "Phreddy"; my trunk bag has stowaway mini-panniers that i can drop down to carry stuff if the occasion requires. Trunk bag adds little weight compared to an underseat bag and is behind me so I don't think it affect areadynamics. I carry my spares and tools, extra water bottles and snacks for long treks and so on. Louie
Old 07-06-10, 02:06 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roaddaddy
Put my Treo into a ziplock sandwich bag (togther with a bit of cash and a credit card), stash the bag into the back pocket of my jersey and don't even notice it's there while riding. The bag keeps everything dry.
I do the same minus the bag. That's a good idea.
Old 07-06-10, 02:33 PM
eyezlee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
I just put my phone in a sandwich bag and stick it in my jersey. I dont even notice it there.
^^I do this.^^
Old 07-06-10, 03:28 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
So what is the rack for? Carry the tools/tubes on the rack and the phone in the seatbag.

Droid must be a huge phone! I carry a cell (Envy2 also with a keypad) and a FLip recorder in my jersey pocket with no problem at all!
Old 07-06-10, 03:43 PM
wrafl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry mine on a mini pannier on the top tube. Works very well for me but of course my cell is not a droid, it's an LG don't know the model though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2144..jpg (100.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-06-10, 03:56 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Liked 198 Times in 112 Posts
This. end of thread.
Old 07-06-10, 04:36 PM
RhythmRider

Bikes: '14 Giant Escape RX '08 GIANT Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is there anything available just for the phone? I really don't need the pannier!
Old 07-06-10, 05:49 PM
ldh6

Bikes: Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo, Fuji Marseilles, K2 Razorback HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto for the crackberry...
Old 07-06-10, 05:56 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by RhythmRider
is there anything available just for the phone? I really don't need the pannier!
Wide variety of bags available that could be attached to a rack or to bars, frame, etc.
Old 07-06-10, 06:18 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on the ride and bike:

- in my handlebar bag (longer rides)
- in a top-tube bag (rarely)
- clipped to my waist, right/back side, the phone inside my shorts/tights (that usually when I commute so it doesn't have enough time to get wet from sweat)
- in pocket in my waterproof pannier if the weather is wet on my commuter bike
Old 07-06-10, 06:19 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
This. end of thread.
Not every cyclist wears a jersey
Old 07-06-10, 06:30 PM
yrrej

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Bento Box for the win

Jerry
Old 07-06-10, 07:28 PM
Loose Chain

Originally Posted by JanMM
Wide variety of bags available that could be attached to a rack or to bars, frame, etc.
I think he (Rhythmrider), like me, meant something more specific but truly, one and all, thanks for the great suggestions.

I said Droid, could have been an I-Phone or similar PDA size phone like the Blackberry Storm, all of these phones are somewhat larger than the ubiquitous flip phones I had previously and don't seem to fit in the little cell phone specific bags I have come across--yet. I guess the accessory bag/holster market has not caught up with the changing phone preferences.

Mr. Beanz, I could use a bag on the rack, true, but, I was hoping to find something a bit more invisible and portable to my other bikes which I assure you do not have a rack or fenders.

Thanks all.
Old 07-06-10, 07:29 PM
Loose Chain

Originally Posted by AdamDZ
Not every cyclist wears a jersey
Yes, exactly, I rarely wear a cycling specific jersey.
Old 07-06-10, 08:26 PM
David13

Bikes: DiamondBack Edgewood// Raleigh M20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Backpack. With about 15,000 other necessary items.
dc
Old 07-06-10, 11:14 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Mr. Beanz, I could use a bag on the rack, true, but, I was hoping to find something a bit more invisible and portable to my other bikes which I assure you do not have a rack or fenders.
Makes good sense!
Old 07-07-10, 01:02 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
I never leave home without my iPhone. It goes in the jersey pocket, camelbak, or stem bag; dependent on what I'm riding at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.