Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Specialized Dolce?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 08:20 AM
mrsoski
mom on a bike

Bikes: Electra Townie 21d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Dolce?

Hi all: you may remember me, the athena who will be doing the 33 mile ride in August on the 21
speed Townie! I'm up to 20 miles!

However, you were all correct: anything longer than a 33 miler and I need a road bike. My Townie
is a great grocery getter/around towner, but I need something faster.

My LBS guy is recommending I test ride a Specialized Dolce. Anybody got one? Experiences?

FWIW, I am 5'8", long legs and shorter waisted. LBS Guy says I need a 51.
Old 07-08-10, 09:49 AM
wild animals
Real Human Being

Bikes: Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know about the bike, but did you ride the 51, and the next-bigger size? I am 5'8" with a 33" inseam and bike shops tend to want me on a 53 or 54. Not that that means you should be! But you might try both sizes (if you can) and see which you like better.

The reach to the handlebars might be too long on the next size up, but buying a larger bike puts the handlebars higher relative to the saddle. So it's worth checking out. Good luck! You are going to love having a fast bike. Congratulations on your mileage
Old 07-08-10, 10:01 AM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife rides the Spec. Ruby and loves it. Very reliable bike, close to 1500 miles and has run strong throughout.
Old 07-08-10, 11:43 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrsoski

FWIW, I am 5'8", long legs and shorter waisted. LBS Guy says I need a 51.
Since the Dolce is a women's bike - I assume the design is women's specific - ie built with long legs, short torso in mind. You really need to do a fit before buying the bike. If your LBS guy can't do it find someone who can. I'm thinking you probably need a 53 but maybe he only has a 51 on the floor and needs to move it but without a proper fitting no one can tell you which bike fits best for you.

The most important measurement is not stand over but reach. When you are on the saddle, how does reaching for the shifters/brakes feel to you? Are you stretched out (as you should be) or cramped up? If cramped up order a 53.

But then again I am not a professional fitter, I only pretend to be on this forum! By the way I am also 5'8" but I'm evenly built. I ride a 51 Lemond Zurich but my new bike (custom built) is closer to a 52/53. It just all depends on the bike's design.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 07-08-10, 12:04 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 51 seems rather small. I am also 5'8" and have very long femurs (thigh bone). I currently ride a 56cm frame (Trek Pilot 2.1, has a taller head tube so my back doesn't gripe at me on multi-mile climbs) so I can actually use the drops instead of banging my knees on my arms. I could probably do better with a 55, but I got a good deal on the bike I have now, and I've been able to make appropriate adjustments to get the bike to fit me.

Sounds like the guy is trying to move his merchandise than fit you on the bike that fits you and your needs. In that case, I'd find another LBS willing to do the job right.
Old 07-08-10, 10:29 PM
cbrown9064

Bikes: Specialized Sectuer Comp Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't have experience with the Dolce, but have the men's version, the Sectuer Comp. I love the bike. There are different levels of the Dolce/Sectuer. The Dolce Comp has Shimano 105, carbon seatstays, carbon fork and zerts on the seatstays and fork. The carbon does take a lot of the "buzz" out of the aluminum frame.

I really like my Sectuer. Thought for a while about the Roubaix (mens version of the Ruby) but decided to get a nice house in a middle class neighborhood (Sectuer) instead of a so-so hours in a ritzy neighborhood (Roubaix).

For the little extra, get the Dolce Comp.

My $0.02.
Chris
Old 07-09-10, 05:40 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I am 5'5" and was fitted to a 54 cm Dolce Sport Compact Double. I really like the bike. It is much more comfortable than I ever thought a road bike could be. Be sure and test ride what you are looking at to make sure it is a good fit, and look at all kinds of bikes. Also, I would recommend you find an LBS you like for your purchase.

Enjoy,
P2
Old 07-09-10, 06:18 AM
Fern53

Bikes: 1990 Univega Alpina, 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2009 Jamis Coda Sport, 2010 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deep_sky
A 51 seems rather small. I am also 5'8" and have very long femurs (thigh bone).

Sounds like the guy is trying to move his merchandise than fit you on the bike that fits you and your needs. In that case, I'd find another LBS willing to do the job right.
I agree 100%. I'm 5'6" (with relatively short legs, long torso) and my 2009 Dolce Elite is a 54 cm. I would have been ok on a 51, too-but the 54 was a better fit overall. I walked away from an LBS that put me on a 48cm Dolce- and tried to tell me it was a good fit. As inexperienced as I was at the time, I could tell it was not. (The same salesperson also tried to get me to climb on another bike that I could not even get my leg over.)

That said, I love my Dolce. I tried quite a few makes and models, but the Dolce put a smile on my face every time I rode one. Everyone is different, though. Just try as many as you can...and don't compromise on fit and comfort.
Old 07-11-10, 01:35 PM
CarynLea
Just a Girl

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Women specific" bikes are a scam, they prey upon the ignorant who believe there is a difference in leg/torso ratio between men and women, there is not. Don't limit yourself to "WSD" bikes.
Old 07-11-10, 01:50 PM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WSD bikes are not a scam, they provide a different option. I AM shorter in the torso and longer in the legs than many men my same height. I am much better off on a bike with a shorter top tube. Bikes with shorter top tubes are marketed WSD, and provide me with a better fit than my former non-WSD bikes over the past 25 years.

mrsoski--test ride the Dolce in several sizes, as well as many other bikes. Go to different bike shops that carry different bikes. You really need to ride alot to know what works for you. A 51cm might be fine for you. I'm 5'6" and ride a 49cm bike and it's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. So it just depends.
Old 07-11-10, 04:46 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are over ~ 5'4", WSD is a scam. For short women, it does seem to work.
Old 07-11-10, 11:17 PM
cbrown9064

Bikes: Specialized Sectuer Comp Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is a WSD a "scam"? To me the term "scam" implies ripping someone off or taking compensation without delivering the product.

The Specialized Secture Comp (mens) is the top of the line Secture. Price is $1650.
The Specialized Dolce Comp (womens) is the top of the line Dolce. Price is $1650.

Both bikes are aluminum frames with carbon front and rear.

Same bike and options. Same price, just different geometry.

True, the WSD may not be the best fit, have to try them all. But at least with Specialized, it does invoke the words "scam" to me.
Chris

Last edited by cbrown9064; 07-11-10 at 11:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-12-10, 12:03 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well I guess I'm one of the ignorant ones! Gina is 5'4, has a mens bike, a WSD and a few others. I've got about 70,000 miles on the bike, She has about 30,000, does about 3,500 miles per year. She's been on hybrids, mountain bikes, tandems, roadies, mens and WSD. We tried a ton of bikes while shopping for her most recent and she preferred and still loves the WSD fit.

She's super comfy on an 85 mile roadride.....Don't I feel stupid!

Old 07-12-10, 01:30 AM
wild animals
Real Human Being

Bikes: Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Women's shoes are a scam, too. They don't fit me very well at all.

I'm 5'8" with long legs and I should have gotten a WSD bike, but they don't really make $1000 WSD touring bikes. So instead I have a stupidly short-reach stem.