Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Build- SunTour Superbe or Campy Super Record?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 03:01 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm getting ready to build up a '82 Raliegh Comp. frame which has SunTour Superbe Drop outs. What's your opinion? Build it up with SunTour Superbe or Campy Super Record and let me know why? Also, I've been fooling around with the idea of doing something different with the bars, perhaps Soma's Major Taylors or inverted NorthRoads with tape only on the drops, something different. I'm all ears. The intended purpose is for quick daily rides, 15-20 miles.
Old 07-12-10, 03:04 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You'll always get a vote for Superbe (or even better, Superbe Pro) from me!
Old 07-12-10, 03:05 PM
miamijim

Liked 112 Times in 80 Posts
How deep is your wallet?

Super Reord in 9+ condition is very, very expensive. A complete group w/ headset, good brake lever hoods, pedals and BB could run $1000.
Old 07-12-10, 03:16 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Suntour seem to still get a bum rap from many, specially Shimano fans that don't seem to ever realize how well the Suntour stuff worked and their equal and sometimes superior finish and qualtiy compared to same period Shimano components. Good thing is, the Suntour stuff do not go for as high prices as equal level model groups from Campy and Shimano, so there are stiil good deals out there to be had.
I'd say do a Suntour Superbe Pro build before everyone gets wise and prices the group goes way beyond everyone's reach (as it is, the prices for the Suntour high end stuff had been climbing up steadily in the last couple of years), plus you don't end up with the usual Shimano/Campy bike like everyone else out there.
I used Superbe Pro and Cyclone MkII derailleurs on my bike for some years and they are two of the best performing, best finished non-indexed derailleurs I have ever encountered. Only switched away from them because I decided to keep my French bike all-French.
JMOs

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 07-13-10 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 03:22 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I raced and trained on Superbe Pro from 1985 to 1991. Never one failure, and certainly no complaints from me.
Old 07-12-10, 04:26 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was leaning towards the Campy Super Record only because I have a 9+ RD. I'm thinking I could sell it to finance the majority of the Suntour build?

Any thoughs on bars that might be a bit different than the usual drops?
Old 07-12-10, 08:26 PM
SingeDebile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if your asking the question then go with suntour,
Old 07-12-10, 10:04 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SingeDebile

if your asking the question then go with suntour,
Yep, asking opinions, which way and why?
Old 07-13-10, 08:41 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I built my Zieleman up with Suntour Superbe first generation except for Simplex Retrofriction
shifters. I love it, it's flawless, has good aesthetics and is 'period correct'. Shifting is simple and
I don't have to overshift, adjust etc. to settle on a cog.
As stated above Suntour is really undervalued at the moment and therefor a good deal. I don't
see that lasting forever so I'd buy now if possible.

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 07-13-10, 08:53 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,098 Times in 1,580 Posts
I vote for Superbe or Pro. my first real bike was Suntour Alpha 5000 but my next stepped up to Campy. I always wanted (and should start working on one) a Superbe bike. everybody has Campy but a nice clean Superbe bike will stand out

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-13-10, 08:56 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew F
Yep, asking opinions, which way and why?
Which Superbe are you talking about 1st Gen? Superbe Pro?

I built my 85' Team Miyata up with 1st gen Superbe derailleurs and I didn't like it nearly as much as I like Cyclone. I swapped out the RD after a few days...I just couldn't deal with the limited capacity and small max cog limit, the FD I've still got on there, but I don't particularly like it...the cage is very narrow and requires a lot more trimming than a Cyclone as you shift through the rear.

Of course you may have a different experience...If you want to try these out PM me, I'm ready for a nice long ride down south sometime soon.
Old 07-13-10, 09:13 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 349 Times in 176 Posts
I'll be the dissenting voice...just because, not really because I believe it. Go with Campy...it's what Suntour and Shimano immitated (despite the ocassional improvement like the slant par.) and it's the gold standard people used who could afford it. I disagree with the post above stating that shimano was more common back then when compared to Suntour...Suntour was much more popular at the time in my experiences. I also don't think Suntour Superbe Pro sells much under what SR costs and I think it might even run higher than NR. Personally, I'd use a SR ders., seat post, levers and cranks...and NR BB, pedals, calipers and headset.

If it's a Raleigh competition, I'd actually use Gran Sport or 600 arabesque...it's a more appropriate level for that frame. If you're going to drop huge bucks on a component group like that, I'd put it on a higher end frame. I have a SR-NR mix on my Raleigh Professional...and I think that's over kill. I'll probably swap it out to a Hetchins, 753 Raleigh Team, Bob Jackson, Holdworth or something similar at some point.
Old 07-13-10, 09:15 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
On the handlebar thing, I noticed recently that Pastor Bob doesn't like the Major Taylors on his Schwinn New World. The thing about your standard drop bar is that there are so many riding positions -- tops, curves, over the hoods, under the levers, all the way down; and Major Taylors will sacrifice all that. The same goes for flipped northroads, etc; may look cool, but the limited hand positions become uncomfortable on a long ride. My recommendation would be for randonneur bars, if you can find them.

Last edited by rhm; 07-13-10 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-13-10, 11:06 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
everybody has Campy but a nice clean Superbe bike will stand out
I have both, Superbe and Super Record, they're both lovely and perform pretty much the same .. here's my clean Superbe build.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 07-13-10, 11:09 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Superbe.
Pro if you can find it.
Old 07-13-10, 11:11 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew F
I was leaning towards the Campy Super Record only because I have a 9+ RD. I'm thinking I could sell it to finance the majority of the Suntour build?

Any thoughs on bars that might be a bit different than the usual drops?
Belleri if you ride the drops. The swept-forward tops pretty much rule out the hoods, and I think they're cool.
Old 07-13-10, 12:39 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which Superbe are you talking about 1st Gen? Superbe Pro?
Originally interested in the 1st generation but this thread has got me thinin' Superbe Pro

I have a SR-NR mix on my Raleigh Professional...and I think that's over kill. I'll probably swap it out to a Hetchins, 753 Raleigh Team, Bob Jackson, Holdworth
Was looking for a straight stayed Hetchins when a black/chrome Raliegh Competition caught my eye, impulse buy. Would probably move the group over to a Hetchins if I found one I liked and could afford.

The thing about your standard drop bar is that there are so many riding positions, Major Taylors will sacrifice all that. The same goes for flipped northroads, etc; may look cool, but the limited hand positions become uncomfortable on a long ride.
I wasn't considering this for a long ride bike, more of an hour or so fast ride machine, but still haven't ruled anything out. I really liked the look of the flipped Northroads and In my twisted mind it would pay homage to the origianal Raleigh factory workers who, as I understand; flipped the pars of their Sports, dropped the fenders and went off racing on the weekends. ( I'm sure I just opened a can of worms with that potentially incorrect historical statement, refutes and corrections gladly accepted)

Go with Campy...it's what Suntour and Shimano immitated (despite the ocassional improvement like the slant par.) and it's the gold standard people used who could afford it.
That was my thought for considering Campy and the higher end Super Record, I have always admired the group and the RD sitting in a box on my desk needs a home, plus it looks so sweet with the black and chrome frame.

Truthfully, as much as I want to follow most everyones advice, I'm not so sure the Suntour will perform any better and for me, doesn't have the appeal as the Campy......But the Dropouts on the frame are Suntour, so in that respect it would cool to go all Suntour.
Old 07-13-10, 12:59 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Missed the question about the bars. I put a pair of Cinelli Criterium bars on one of the bikes
(Reus? ) and I really like them. They're a nice cross between Track bars and a road bar. I also like the narrow feel of them although a lot of folks prefer a much wider, say 44cm, bar. I think the criteriums are either 40 or 41cms.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 07-13-10, 01:06 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Liked 4,525 Times in 2,137 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Suntour seem to still get a bum rap from many, specially Shimano fans
Shimano fans often don't understand Campagnolo either, so they're irrelevant to start with.

That said, if anyone wants to claim Suntour is inferior, well...*ahem*:

-Kurt

Old 07-13-10, 01:51 PM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
THAT TERRAFERMA!

Kurt, did anyone buy it?
Old 07-13-10, 01:58 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Terraferma is Kirke right? His work is amazing.
Old 07-13-10, 03:15 PM
gomango

Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Terraferma is Kirke right? His work is amazing.
Hi Aaron,

Are you thinking of Dave Kirk?
Old 07-13-10, 03:18 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I am thinking of Dave Kirk...he was easily one of the most distinctive custom builders I saw when researching prices and products.
Old 07-13-10, 03:23 PM
gomango

Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I am thinking of Dave Kirk...he was easily one of the most distinctive custom builders I saw when researching prices and products.
Agreed.

The gold standard.

Different builder, and I am readying an order.
Old 07-13-10, 03:29 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

That is just a beautiful machine...looks like a hell of a light path tourer/speed demon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.