Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Helmets on the climb?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 06:57 PM
Roadierookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmets on the climb?

I was watching the stage finish today and it dawned on me that the riders used to be able to take of their helmets on the last climb of the day if it was an uphill finish. When did that rule change and does anyone know why? I used to like seeing the riders toss their helmets away and climb without their lids.
Old 07-18-10, 07:03 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few, several now, years ago. During one of the years of Lance's run. Changed for safety and I think the image to the public. Hard to advocate recreational riders wearing helmets when in the biggest race of the year they're allowed to go without.
Old 07-18-10, 08:13 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Also FYI, in some cases a slow-speed crash can actually be more damaging than a high-speed one. For example, if you go off the bike at 50kph and slide, you'll just get some road rash. If you're going 10mph and go off the bike, you can land hard and directly on the asphalt, and get more damage.

Not sure how helmets has an effect on that situation, but it makes sense that if you're going to mandate helmets, might as well leave 'em on for the duration.
Old 07-18-10, 09:15 PM
FlashUNC

Bikes: 2000 Trek 5200, 2007 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's why:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Kivilev
Old 07-19-10, 12:44 AM
colombo357

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Also FYI, in some cases a slow-speed crash can actually be more damaging than a high-speed one. For example, if you go off the bike at 50kph and slide, you'll just get some road rash. If you're going 10mph and go off the bike, you can land hard and directly on the asphalt, and get more damage.
I think you need to brush up on your physics. Gravity accelerates your head toward the ground at the same speed regardless of how fast you're going. The trajectory is irrelevant.
Old 07-19-10, 06:36 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
Pro Cycling is all about selling product. What better way to sell more product than to make helmets mandatory?
Old 07-19-10, 07:05 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
take it to A&S

https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...acy-amp-Safety
Old 07-20-10, 06:44 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 768 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashUNC
I believe your timing is off. Kivilev's death led to the UCI mandatory helmet rule. However for a couple of years thereafter, the riders could still take their helmet off on the final climb of the day if it was longer than 5 km. That exception went away in 2005. The removal of the exception was not related to Kivilev's death.

I think removing the exception was motivated by a couple of things including, 1) safety and logistics of getting 189 helmets passed back to team cars, and 2) the appearence and the example it sets for amateurs, recreational cyclists.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-20-10, 07:08 AM
Glades2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmets

Anyone can fall and hit their head at any time, uphill or down...
Old 07-20-10, 11:57 AM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I believe your timing is off. Kivilev's death led to the UCI mandatory helmet rule. However for a couple of years thereafter, the riders could still take their helmet off on the final climb of the day if it was longer than 5 km. That exception went away in 2005. The removal of the exception was not related to Kivilev's death.

I think removing the exception was motivated by a couple of things including, 1) safety and logistics of getting 189 helmets passed back to team cars, and 2) the appearence and the example it sets for amateurs, recreational cyclists.
You are correct and I was watching Paris Nice live that day and IIRC he crashed on a flat section of road at high speed not on a climb.
Old 07-20-10, 12:06 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Liked 3,058 Times in 1,655 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
You are correct and I was watching Paris Nice live that day and IIRC he crashed on a flat section of road at high speed not on a climb.
Yeah, I think he was taking off his windbreaker...

Windbreakers should be mandatory to wear at all times, none of this ridiculous taking them off when the wind dies down.

Anyway, the "last climb of the day" exception only lasted a couple years.
Old 07-20-10, 12:09 PM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

Actually it also had to be a mountiantop finish. I think they allowed about 1-2 KM past the KOM point.

I think one other factor with the removal of the exception was ever improving helmets. Early on they met strong resistance because they were hot. Going far enough back for serious racers helmets might do more harm than good. (Sweat in your eyes in hte middle of 100 otehr guys on a narrow raod going hard is not good). At the time of the exception helmets were not quite what they are now, still significant issues and a hard last climb was less painful without a helmet. By the time the exception was done away with riders did not care as much as helmets were far better.
Old 07-21-10, 11:22 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 768 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
Actually it also had to be a mountiantop finish. .
you're right. I meant to say that and wasn't clear.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-21-10, 11:46 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
I think you need to brush up on your physics. Gravity accelerates your head toward the ground at the same speed regardless of how fast you're going. The trajectory is irrelevant.
Gravity isn't the only thing that can accelerate your head towards the ground. Think centripetal.
Old 07-21-10, 12:26 PM
collegeskier

Bikes: Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsh
Gravity isn't the only thing that can accelerate your head towards the ground. Think centripetal.
More importantly it is not the fall that hurts you, it is the sudden stop at the end.

To that point falls at faster speeds often result in skids and skidding is slow stop (acceleration/deceleration) and slower speeds you don't always skid and stop suddenly=bad.
Old 07-21-10, 10:56 PM
meb

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadierookie
I was watching the stage finish today and it dawned on me that the riders used to be able to take of their helmets on the last climb of the day if it was an uphill finish. When did that rule change and does anyone know why? I used to like seeing the riders toss their helmets away and climb without their lids.
I believe it was 05, though maybe it was 06.